• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Barrel proof version of 1792. I've never seen that or the sweet wheat around CLT.

Just had a member come by my office and give me a set of Norlan glasses. Can't wait to try it out tonight with some OGBoards bourbon. Anyone drink from that glass?

I asked about these a few pages back but since no one responded I'm guessing no one has tried them. I'm interested to know what you think.

Barrel proof version of 1792. I've never seen that or the sweet wheat around CLT.

I got my bottle of Sweet Wheat in FL back in 2015. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I think it was maybe a limited release.

ETA: Guess it is not a limited release. NC ABC website has it listed...now to find some!

http://abc.nc.gov/Pricing/ViewItem/86675

Last edited:
fd3fe2ec7eef74dcff86285dcdc0054d.jpg

Tonight's offering. My wife summed it up when she said it smells and tastes like drunk old man.

Tonight is a good night for boards bourbon

Jesus whiskey 13

b282f40628e03511462b473434ea4200.jpg

For being so young, this is actually quite nice. And a sherry cask at that, which is another surprise. It's pretty sweet, almost raisin-y, though light in body, which is also weird for what it tastes like. This would be a solid everyday drinker.

Jesus whiskey 14

7c08f3b9d61d42858866794caf4ad3d3.jpg

Well this is pretty nice. Smooth yet with a nice burn. Reminds me of black bush.

Jesus whiskey 15

6ed5f79bce30b9c833c1b47a54752446.jpg

This one is pretty special. Nice peat, milk chocolate, Christmas spices, tobacco (by which I mean earthy I think). Really nice pour.

Just had a member come by my office and give me a set of Norlan glasses. Can't wait to try it out tonight with some OGBoards bourbon. Anyone drink from that glass?
Really nice glass. I don't know that it significantly changes the experience, but definitely will be my go-to bourbon holder.

Man bourbon (really any bourbon) and this weather rock. Got 3 fingers of our barrel strength on the deck right now. Its a good way to decompress.

I have an OESV in the glencairn right now. Creamy and sweet, kind of a fruitcake flavor. I love this stuff. Up next is the raw rye power of the boards OBSV.

Bernheim wheated whiskey? Bought a bottle on sale. I like it. Anyone have a taste comparison to OWA, which if I recall correctly is marketed as a wheated bourbon?

Last edited:
Looked back at the bottles I cracked open or finished in 2016...put together an end of year ranking.

**Denotes outstanding no matter what # the rank and would always like to have a bottle on hand
^^Denotes excellent value

Barrel Proof
1 Stagg Jr **
2 Four Roses Single Barrel Private Select (OGB) **
3 Booker's **
4 Elijah Craig Barrel Proof **
5 1792 Full Proof **
6 Barrell Bourbon

Standard Bottles
1 Rock Hill Farms **
2 Old Grand Dad 114 ** ^^
3 Henry McKenna Single Barrel BiB ^^
4 Jim Beam Black 8 Yr RIP
5 Johnny Drum Private Stock ^^
6 Angel's Envy
7 Old Forester 1897 BiB
8 Elmer T Lee
9 Evan Williams Single Barrel 2006
10 Old Forester 1870
11 Very Old Barton BiB ^^
12 Old Grand Dad BiB ^^
13 High West Son of Bourye
14 Old Forester
15 Ezra Brooks 7 Yr 101 ^^
16 EH Taylor Small Batch Bourbon BiB
17 Corner Creek
18 Knob Creek Maple

Ryes
1 EH Taylor Straight Rye BiB **
2 Pikesville Rye **
3 Angel's Envy Rye **
4 High West Double Rye
5 Knob Creek Rye
6 Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
7 Sazerac Rye (6 Yr)

Last edited:
Jesus whiskey 16

d13a5f966d5c7a79e52296f1d09a9b49.jpg

This is excellent. Spicy, orange peel, a little earthy on the back end, some real nice heat at ~120pf. One of my favorites so far.

cf73ea8636749806f8aa2cb47d848dff.jpg

Tonight's offering, Baker's 7 Year with the puppy tax. The nose gives a hint of curing tobacco, reminding me of the fall wifts of that sweet golden smell coming over to campus from Whitaker Park. Taste wise is a caramel front followed by a hint of coffee at the end. I liked this one, although it doesn't rank up there with my favorites. Depending on the price point, this may be one I add to the rotation.

Bernheim wheated whiskey? Bought a bottle on sale. I like it. Anyone have a taste comparison to OWA, which if I recall correctly is marketed as a wheated bourbon?

I like Bernheim, but it does not compare to OWA.

Jesus whiskey 17

6e04b4c5b221f6c7661b99d24b233e09.jpg

Pretty sweet, dried fruits, spicy, and the finish is almost like a PX sherry, though this isn't finished in sherry casks. I like it a lot.

Laphroaig 10 tonight, a departure from my recent bourbon nights. Nose is burnt rubber and gym bag left in the car in the summer. Taste is charcoal grill rinsed with ocean water. There's some sweetness hidden in there though.

I love this stuff.

I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Makers' 46 to try. Can anyone give it a review or comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back