• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I assume you know what you are doing and have read the articles about fraud in the on-line bourbon world. I certainly wouldn't buy it that way, seems way too easy to get a filler in a pappy bottle.

Yeah, I'm amazed at the money changing hands on some of these bottles. My purchases have been low end / inexpensive so I haven't worried about fraud too much.

Not aware of fraud on any hog end bottles in the groups I'm in, but one of the first rules is "buyer beware"

Got an email from Total Wine that I get a chance to battle the other "most valued customers in FL" tomorrow at 9am for their Pappy and BTAC allocations. One bottle per customer. It is on-line, first come/first serve. I plan on trying to get on there at 9am sharp and hope I can get something. I guess I will shoot for 20 year then 15 year. If those are gone, any advice on the remaining Van Winkle's and the BTAC? Sounds like the WLW is the best of the BTAC?

Edit: Had a 20 year in my cart (after dealing with super slow website), entered my credit card info, and then instead of a congratulations message, I got a sorry not going to happen message. At that point, pretty much everything was sold out. So, no expensive bourbon for me this year.

Last edited:
Friend visiting Kentucky is bringing me back a bottle of Old Forester 1897 bottled in bond. Any one tried it?

It's not bad. Drinks pretty easy. I prefer the 1920 prohibition style.

Friend visiting Kentucky is bringing me back a bottle of Old Forester 1897 bottled in bond. Any one tried it?

you can get the OF year stated series anywhere these days. May I suggest you ask him to get something primarily only available in KY? Very Old Barton bottled in bond and Heaven Hill bottled in bond come to mind... at 1/4th price of 1897.

you can get the OF year stated series anywhere these days. May I suggest you ask him to get something primarily only available in KY? Very Old Barton bottled in bond and Heaven Hill bottled in bond come to mind... at 1/4th price of 1897.

I've never seen that Old Forester in Winston, and the only cheap Heaven Hill bourbon i've seen here is Fighting Cock and it was terrible.

Cracked open bottle 2 of 4 of the OG&B Four Roses on Saturday. So damn good! Also had some Abraham Bowman that was infused with vanilla beans for 24 months. Good stuff!

I've never seen that Old Forester in Winston, and the only cheap Heaven Hill bourbon i've seen here is Fighting Cock and it was terrible.

I check ABC stores around the state and they generally all have the OF line in stock, except for Winston apparently. In fact there are 36 cases in the state warehouse as I type this. The HH BiB is 6 yr age stated and massively better than Fighting Cock. Every distiller has its bottom shelf stuff; to not try other brands just because you didn't like a bottom tier is kind of crazy. Heaven Hill also makes Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna and Evan Williams.

I check ABC stores around the state and they generally all have the OF line in stock, except for Winston apparently. In fact there are 36 cases in the state warehouse as I type this. The HH BiB is 6 yr age stated and massively better than Fighting Cock. Every distiller has its bottom shelf stuff; to not try other brands just because you didn't like a bottom tier is kind of crazy. Heaven Hill also makes Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna and Evan Williams.

Elijah Craig is mediocre now. It's a shame.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still excellent. Agree on small batch, Was never a huge fan of 12 yr small batch even before they dropped the age st. McKenna BiB is fantastic for the $ at least.

McKenna BIB is probably my favorite midtier bourbon that's always available everywhere. For now, till the secret gets out.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still excellent. Agree on small batch, Was never a huge fan of 12 yr small batch even before they dropped the age st. McKenna BiB is fantastic for the $ at least.

McKenna BIB is probably my favorite midtier bourbon that's always available everywhere. For now, till the secret gets out.

I'll definitely check out McKenna. I've actually been looking for some recommendations. This list conflates a lot of American whiskey/bourbon/rye, but what do you think I should try based on what I like/don't like.

I really like:
OWA/Special Research, Four Roses Small Batch/Single Barrel, Rock Hill Farms, Booker's, Wild Turkey 101, Smooth Ambler Old Scout, Breckenridge, OGD 100/114, Rittenhouse, Blanton's, Basil Hayden

I like, but don't seek out:
Jefferson's Very Small, Eagle Rare, Woodford, EH Taylor, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Makers, Knob Creek, High West

I don't like:
(new) Elijah Craig, Rebel Yell, Redemption

Outside of McKenna BIB, what else should I look out for, y'all. These are my go-to liquor stores.

I'll definitely check out McKenna. I've actually been looking for some recommendations. This list conflates a lot of American whiskey/bourbon/rye, but what do you think I should try based on what I like/don't like.

I really like:
OWA/Special Research, Four Roses Small Batch/Single Barrel, Rock Hill Farms, Booker's, Wild Turkey 101, Smooth Ambler Old Scout, Breckenridge, OGD 100/114, Rittenhouse, Blanton's, Basil Hayden

Jefferson's Very Small, Eagle Rare, Woodford, EH Taylor, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Makers, Knob Creek, High West

I don't like:

Outside of McKenna BIB, what else should I look out for, y'all. These are my go-to liquor stores.

I'd add 1792 Full Proof to the list, if you can find it. Also, give Maker's Mark Cask Strength a shot if you have not done so. I really enjoyed my bottle and have another in wait. FWIW the Rebel Yell 10 Year was really good last year but its hard to find and they jacked up the price. Much, much different than regular Rebel Yell.

Stagg Jr is pretty kick ass.

Don't see rye on your list but if you head that direction try Pikesville.

So you like owa/wsr and sort of like makers. Larceny by HH is another wheated option. Some folks don't like it but I remember liking it more than makers but less then the Wellers.

Also the Evan Williams single barrels are usually pretty good and only about $20.

Take it all with a grain of salt since I haven't had much bourbon lately.

So you like owa/wsr and sort of like makers. Larceny by HH is another wheated option. Some folks don't like it but I remember liking it more than makers but less then the Wellers.

Also the Evan Williams single barrels are usually pretty good and only about $20.

Take it all with a grain of salt since I haven't had much bourbon lately.

EWSB is $31 now in NC I believe.

I really like:

I don't like:

I was gifted a bottle of WT101 from my inlaws as a Father's Day gift a few years ago. Cracked it open last October and really enjoyed it. Had a subtle sweetness that I wasn't expecting.

I really like:

I don't like:

Sazarac

Talked to a local bar owner last weekend, and he said Mecklenburg Country either:

A. hasn't gotten their shipment of BTAC yet
or B. isn't releasing it until they get their Pappy and doing a big lottery all at once

FWIW.

Talked to a local bar owner last weekend, and he said Mecklenburg Country either:

A. hasn't gotten their shipment of BTAC yet
or B. isn't releasing it until they get their Pappy and doing a big lottery all at once

FWIW.

BTAC is gone from the state warehouse (Johnston County already distributed theirs) so Meck is holding. Reminder that the Wake County drawing bins were placed in stores today (11/1) and runs for about a week. They say one entry per person but it doesn't say if that is one entry per person per store or per the county.

Back