• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I was in KY for work and stopped by the Buffalo Trace distillery on the way to the airport this afternoon - the woman behind the counter laughed at me when I asked if they had any Pappy Van Winkle. She said April is the next release.

I got the last two 18 year Craigs at the Country Club ABC yesterday after work. Drinks very smooth.

Neither - I was cutting it close to my flight and only had about 15 min at the distillery. I knew they were shipping, but silly me for assuming that they would actually sell it where its made.

I got the last two 18 year Craigs at the Country Club ABC yesterday after work. Drinks very smooth.

Were yours covered in dust like mine? I tasted it on Wednesday night. A bit stronger than the bourbons I typically drink. I'm assuming there is little variation in the batches produced months apart. But then again I've never had something that is 22 years old!

Not dusty; I assume they'd been picked up by many, drooled upon, and put back, leaving them shiny clean. I think they were both like 4/26/1990

I've got some great news bourbon drinkers of the Pit. Our FD is looking at purchasing a firetruck from a dept 1 hour north of Louisville and I've convinced my chief to swing by the Makers Mark Distillery on the way back next week. He's never been, and that was my favorite tour of them all. A free trip back to the land of milk and bourbon. Score!

I've got some great news bourbon drinkers of the Pit. Our FD is looking at purchasing a firetruck from a dept 1 hour north of Louisville and I've convinced my chief to swing by the Makers Mark Distillery on the way back next week. He's never been, and that was my favorite tour of them all. A free trip back to the land of milk and bourbon. Score!

I hope they are closed that day, cause if I can't go, nobody goes!

On a serious note, have a 46 sample for me and make sure your chief dips his own bottle.

I'm pretty bummed that after signing up as an Ambassador back in early July, I still dont know which barrel I'm on. Maybe I'll be able to find out while up there. I'm also going to be picking up some more of the staves for smoking. We used them last year and they left a phenomenal flavor in ribs.

I had a few glasses of Maker's 46 at the hotel bar over the weekend....damn it was smooth!!!

I've noticed that the Elijah 18 has a bit more char taste that what I'm accustomed to....over time I'm sure I will get used to it. But right now my palate is all about smooth tasting bourbon.

I'm pretty bummed that after signing up as an Ambassador back in early July, I still dont know which barrel I'm on. Maybe I'll be able to find out while up there. I'm also going to be picking up some more of the staves for smoking. We used them last year and they left a phenomenal flavor in ribs.

Go on their Ambassador website and you can find it. I got there about 4 months too late to get my bottle from my barrel.

Go on their Ambassador website and you can find it. I got there about 4 months too late to get my bottle from my barrel.

I check it about once or twice a month. Nothing is showing up. According to Emily, they are about 9 months behind in getting the information out.

I love a little smoke. Eagle Rare has a little kick to it. But bourbon is supposed to be smooth.

That's the thing....I love Eagle Rare 10 yr old. I've been drinking it all year long. I found EC18 to have more 'pop' than ER. But maybe that's b/c I drank the Makers 46 and then switched back to tasting EC18 this week.

You guys can hate on me all you want after I tell you this: On Sunday I will be attending the Bourbon Born seminar led by Julian Van Winkle III here in Charleston. The tasting includes Pappy White Dog, Buffalo Trace, Van Winkle 12 Year, and Pappy 20 along with the associated tasting notes and lecture on bourbon making, styles, and philosophy by Julian.

Wine and Food Festival FTMFW.

You guys can hate on me all you want after I tell you this: On Sunday I will be attending the Bourbon Born seminar led by Julian Van Winkle III here in Charleston. The tasting includes Pappy White Dog, Buffalo Trace, Van Winkle 12 Year, and Pappy 20 along with the associated tasting notes and lecture on bourbon making, styles, and philosophy by Julian.

Wine and Food Festival FTMFW.

Almost went to that!! Please come back with a recap.

Man, why would anyone hate on that, that sounds awesome!

Jealousy? I should have realized the bourbon thread guys aren't really haters in that sense.

Almost went to that!! Please come back with a recap.

Will do. I haven't really tried to put pictures on the boards, but may try to post some afterwards. At a minimum, I'll bring a write up back on Sunday evening or sometime on Monday.

Just cracked a Jefferson 18 year Presidential Reserve. Clearance for 50 bucks. Tastes a little grassy but was worth trying. Would not be happy at full price 75-80

Back