• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Interesting. I finally received my prize winnings from Fantasy Football, and I thought I would spend it on Blanton's. So Elijah 18 > Blanton's? Now that I've acquired the taste I want to keep a fine sippin' bourbon on hand for special occasions.

I love them both, but I'm still a bigger fan of Blanton's.

Interesting. I finally received my prize winnings from Fantasy Football, and I thought I would spend it on Blanton's. So Elijah 18 > Blanton's? Now that I've acquired the taste I want to keep a fine sippin' bourbon on hand for special occasions.

I think so, but that's only my opinion. I've had them back-to-back on 3 occasions now. The best part is figuring out which one you like the best.

IMO, I enjoy the Elijah 18 a bit more, because it has a bit more bite (a good bite of course). Either way you can't go wrong.

IMO, I enjoy the Elijah 18 a bit more, because it has a bit more bite (a good bite of course). Either way you can't go wrong.

There's something cool about seeing the hand written date on the bottle too. The last couple bottles I've had were barreled 21 years ago. Hard not to appreciate something that was crafted by someone over 2 decades ago.

IIRC, Blanton's has the dump date and the proof hand written on the bottle, but they don't actually give you any indication as to how long it was aged.

There's something cool about seeing the hand written date on the bottle too. The last couple bottles I've had were barreled 21 years ago. Hard not to appreciate something that was crafted by someone over 2 decades ago.

IIRC, Blanton's has the dump date and the proof hand written on the bottle, but they don't actually give you any indication as to how long it was aged.

Correct on Blanton's not giving the length of aging. It's not standardized; Blanton's is dumped when it's ready.

Might do Elijah though, since the last couple pages have many mentions.

Probably 90% my posts. I'm bad about pimping it, as it's still my favorite of everything I've tried in the "afforable" range, even if it is on the upper end of that range for me. The bottle is sort of non-assuming and it's not a brand I had really heard of, so I would have probably never picked it up to try if not for this thread.

Went to a belated Christmas party last week. One of the gifts in the gift exchange was a bottle of home-distilled rye bourbon. Not sure of the proof, but it was incredibly smooth. Almost too smooth. It was the first homemade stuff I've tried ( other than 'shine, of course). Really good.

Correct on Blanton's not giving the length of aging. It's not standardized; Blanton's is dumped when it's ready.

A little digging on the web says that the standard Blanton's single barrel edition is aged between 7-8 years. I definitely prefer it to many older whiskeys. I've never had Elijah 18, but I find it better than the Van Winkle 12 and 15.

Good article in this past weekend's WSJ on the comeback of Manhattens.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577221291809595050.html

Good stuff. A Manhattan or the occasional Old Fashioned are the only cocktails I really drink these days unless I'm downing some Jack & Coke at a tailgate.

That article reminded me to go back and check our RJ's posts where he claimed that anything served in a Martini glass (even if it's straight up bourbon) is a Martini and that you should never use a mixer or cherry with a top shelf liquor. Was good for a chuckle! :thumbsup:

In order to preserve my beloved Nugget Nectar (beer), I am going to pick up some nice bourbon this week. Leaning towards knob creek since I haven't had it in forever. Might do Elijah though, since the last couple pages have many mentions.

Stop on by Friday....Carolyn will pour you a few giant ones.....

Just bought a bottle of the Parker's Heritage Collection: 10 Year Old Cognac Barrel Finished Bourbon.

I am saving it for this weekend. I will report back then.

Just picked up a fifth of Elijah 18 that was barrelled in 1990 for $35! Good buy or great buy??

thanks for posting. i have bookmarked this for future abuse... i mean use.

I have never had one of these in my life (I drink my bourbon with water/straight) but was really intrigued by the article. If you were going to a bar to have one or if you were going to make one, would it be best to use rye whiskey like Bulleit or one of many high end bourbons? For that matter would my standby Beams Black work?

I'm just trying to get an idea because these sound really good.

Back