• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Bought some Jefferson's over the weekend. Pretty solid so far, but I've only enjoyed it twice. Had entirely too much Rebel Yell in various Manhattans and Old Fashions at a Mad Men party last night.

My current favorite bitters are Fee Bros. Right now I'm using a dash of Original Bitters and a dash of Orange Bitters. Traditionally, Angostura bitters are used.

I made my first Manhattan the other night before Mad Men. I used standard Maker's Mark with the Fee Bros angostura bitters and the sweet vermouth in a frosted martini glass. Wow it was very good, but also very strong. Should I be able to taste the bitters at all? I sure didn't taste anything but the bourbon and a hint of the vermouth. As I said it was very good but I feel just like everything else its gonna take a little bit of practice.

It definitely takes some time to figure out exactly how you like it. I go with 2 parts whiskey (usually rye) to 1 part sweet vermouth, which is the classic recipe. And definitely make sure you measure it out pretty carefully so that you can figure out how you like it so you can make it the same every time. As for the amount of bitters, the traditional recipe calls for "a dash", just use as much as you like. I probably use a little more that would be considered traditional.

Has anyone ever fat washed their bourbon? I'm thinking of making some bacon infused bourbon this weekend to sip during the masters.

It definitely takes some time to figure out exactly how you like it. I go with 2 parts whiskey (usually rye) to 1 part sweet vermouth, which is the classic recipe. And definitely make sure you measure it out pretty carefully so that you can figure out how you like it so you can make it the same every time. As for the amount of bitters, the traditional recipe calls for "a dash", just use as much as you like. I probably use a little more that would be considered traditional.

Is a part considered to be 1 1/2 ounces or does it even matter?

I have not read this entire thread, but has anybody tried the new Angels Envy? Read about it in a travel magazine this week. Supposed to be pretty good and pretty pricey at $46 a fifth. Our local store does not carry it, but that is no suprise as the English language remains a trade barrier currently.

Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace's Single Oak Project the other night. It's pretty damn good stuff. A bit on the pricey side though.

S1087-2T.jpg

It's not a bourbon I know, but I was fortunate enough to sample the high west 21 year rye today. Quite simple one of the finest brown spirits I've ever hard.

It's very good. A little pricey, but definitely a phenomenal rye.

TWToy's boss bought me a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year for helping out with some things at their office. Score!

Picked up a bottle of Parker's Heritage Barrel Finished bourbon over the weekend. Really solid stuff. One of the better bourbons I've picked up in a while.

parkers-heritage-collection-bourbon-290x290.jpg

2 questions for you Pit bourbon afficianados.

1) Whats a good bourbon a noob like myself should get under $50
2) Whats the preferred way to drink bourbon. Do you put ice in it? Neat? Mixed with Surge?

TIA you drunks.

It's hard to say because everyone's tastes are different, but I also think it depends on what your mood is or what you are looking for. The ones mentioned in response to your question are all good bourbons and are all reasonably easy to find. If you want something reasonably priced and perhaps a little unique, Corner Creek is around $25 and is really good. It's cheaper than Black Maple Hill and just slightly less good.

I've found Blanton's to be my favorite top shelf bourbon. I would drink it all the time if I could afford it. I prefer it neat, maybe a few drops of water to open it up, but nothing more, because it's already so easy to drink. Some of the other top shelfers like Bookers and Eagle Rare are going to border on scotch, and have a slightly smokier taste, but these are still excellent. I would also put Jefferson's Reserve on this tier.

I would add Elijah Craig to the list.

And I typically drink it neat, but like Townie, I will put certain things on ice.

Back