• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Montgomery County got an allocation. They have an email listserv for the rare booze. For the BTAC you responded with your preferences and then they let you know what you could buy.

While nice, these things go about $80 a bottle, too rich for my blood.

There are plenty of good liquor stores in SC you could hit up before the weddings (assuming they are next summer). Almost all the towns of any size (Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach) have 1-2 rocking liquor stores. I will say Savannah, GA has some really good liquor stores.

Greens sometimes has the unusually good stuff.

Anyone know if they sell Wellers 12 year in Boston? Can't get it down here in the south, but i'll be in Boston next weekend.

Just got the email from Mecklenburg ABC about their annual allotment of Pappy. Replied within 5 minutes, so hopefully I'll get a bottle. Asked for 20 year ($150), 15 ($80), 12 ($60), 10 ($50) in that order. They wanted $250 for the 23 and I figured those would get snagged anyway. At that price, I'd probably just sell it rather than enjoy it, which seems lame. I'll have a decision to make if I get the 20. The others I'll definitely keep. I hate the hype and inflated prices in bars and on the secondary market, but if I can grab a bottle at retail, it seems worthwhile.

Just got the email from Mecklenburg ABC about their annual allotment of Pappy. Replied within 5 minutes, so hopefully I'll get a bottle. Asked for 20 year ($150), 15 ($80), 12 ($60), 10 ($50) in that order. They wanted $250 for the 23 and I figured those would get snagged anyway. At that price, I'd probably just sell it rather than enjoy it, which seems lame. I'll have a decision to make if I get the 20. The others I'll definitely keep. I hate the hype and inflated prices in bars and on the secondary market, but if I can grab a bottle at retail, it seems worthwhile.

Replied within 5 minutes as well. Unfortunately, I don't know if that will be fast enough. Fingers crossed....

I was able to get some 12 year last year but I cannot reveal my sources

Saving a bottle for my wedding

Good to know. Just notified that I "made the cut", but won't know until tomorrow what variety I'll get.

Ditto. Said I'm getting some kind of Pappy, but won't know what until tomorrow. Just glad to at least be adding something to my collection.

This is a pretty specific, random question

Indeed

I checked with a contact of mine at a liquor store in the Boston area (actually out in Westborough) and she said that they have not received any Weller 12 this year.

But this is the internet; where people get stuff done.

Many thanks for the response!

$250 isn't too bad for PVW23...the first bottle I bought was $296 + tax (I've bought it cheaper since then).

When my brother was getting treated for the cancer in his leg I told him that we would open it after his amputation and he was back home. Every July 4th my dad, brother, and I enjoy a pour while watching fireworks...it's the only open bottle I have that no one can touch. Everything else is available to drink.

I had a double knob last night at the hotel bar. 25 GD dollars.

Won a boxed in trifecta at Churchill Downs the Friday before the Wake-Louisville game. Ordered a 20 year Pappy right after that for $28, which I didn't think was too bad and it was right sweet! We had been to Buffalo Trace on our way in on Thursday. I will say also that their eagle Rare 10 was pretty good.

$250 isn't too bad for PVW23...the first bottle I bought was $296 + tax (I've bought it cheaper since then).

Yeah. It's not a bad price. I could easily turn it around and that's what I'd be tempted to do. I'm just not to the point where I want a $250 bottle sitting on my shelf right now (especially not with the price listed on BBB). I purchased the 2014 SB Four Roses release this year, and this Pappy will be my second "big" purchase. I'm saving up the rest of my bourbon funds trying to track down releases from the years my kids were born. I need a 2008, 2010, 2012, and I'll need to track down a 2015 as well.

And, just before I could hit send, I got the call from the Meck ABC Board. There's a bottle of PVW20 with my name on it. Damn, now I've gotta decide whether to trade it for some of the bottles I need for my kids or keep it.

Last edited:
Back