• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

good gift ideas

deacdiggler

"Well known member"
Reaction score
please throw some at me as i'm having brain cramps. here's what i've got, and yes these are lame.

For:
Dad: jose bank is having a sale! lots of stuff on their website that's reasonably priced.

Mom: I'm totally stuck this year. how many household knickknacks can someone need?

Grandma: large print books (better yet, a nook so she can increase the font)

Boys (5 & 8): "zoob" toys; old school board games; books; football; legos

as you can tell i'm struggling. my ex-wife used to do all the christmas shopping. help? Thanks.

please throw some at me as i'm having brain cramps. here's what i've got, and yes these are lame.

For:
Dad: jose bank is having a sale! lots of stuff on their website that's reasonably priced.

Mom: I'm totally stuck this year. how many household knickknacks can someone need?

Grandma: large print books (better yet, a nook so she can increase the font)

Boys (5 & 8): "zoob" toys; old school board games; books; football; legos

as you can tell i'm struggling. my ex-wife used to do all the christmas shopping. help? Thanks.

Mom: new Christmas albums? Michael Buble, Mariah Carey II, idk. My mom likes getting new Christmas decorations. My brothers and I just gave her a Pandora bracelet, which makes shopping in the future really easy, just get her another charm for every event for the next 10 years and you're done shopping.

Grandma: something consumable, like lotion, tea, chocolates, something. Most old people I know don't want any more stuff taking up room in their living space, if they're not trying to give their stuff away to get it out of the house.

I would echo SBT's suggestion for a pandora bracelet for your mom.

Does your dad have any hobbies or a hobby that he has been wanting to try? For instance, if he has always wanted to learn to fly fish, you could always get a gift certificate for a fly fishing lesson. If he is big into racing and you are from the Charlotte area, you could get him the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

My mom is kind of the same as yours, as far as having every little thing imaginable. I ended up getting her some wall art from etsy. She's very domestic, so it was this modern-looking print of a "family" tree with birds on the limbs, indicating the number of kids. I think she'll dig it. It was a nice alternative to adding to the pile of junk we normally settle on for her.

For the boys (and your dad): some sort of "experience" gift, like a fishing trip or tickets to their favorite team's ballgame?

My mom also has a house full of knick-knacks and antiques. My sister and I swore off getting her anything else that just sits on a shelf. We're trying to focus on things she'll use regularly or experiences that will make memories (cheesy? yes.)

This year, we got her tickets to an art museum event she wants to see, tickets to a play, and a really nice pair of cashmere-lined leather gloves.

Posted about this a while back, but this makes a cool gift:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YHNQSC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0008JEYOG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1228N270X70D8H52QSC5

41F60wIGZ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fullscreen is the cropped 4:3 ratio that fits on older TVs. It won't fill up the screen on an HDTV.

Fullscreen is the cropped 4:3 ratio that fits on older TVs. It won't fill up the screen on an HDTV.

That makes sense for the DVDs...

What about the Blu-Rays?

Surely they wouldn't put it in HD then cut it to 4:3

I don't even understand how that would work.

I don't know either, but it would make me nervous enough to not buy it BB based on how it is labeled.

We've given a few people a SodaStream and they all LOVE it. We use our's all the time.

Back