• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good tequila

The 12 year aged in French Cognac barrels. This is the darkest and smoothest tequila I've ever tasted. It's one of 300 bottles they produce each year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225_013234_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225_013234_Gallery.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 31
I've never heard Oaxaca method before. Is that referring to cooking the agave with fire vs steam?

I went on a 2 day tasting trip to Tequila and recommend for anyone who enjoys sipping a tequila. Great access to a lot of distilleries both big and small. You can also join a jimedor and cut the agave which is a cool learning experience.

I've never heard Oaxaca method before. Is that referring to cooking the agave with fire vs steam?

I went on a 2 day tasting trip to Tequila and recommend for anyone who enjoys sipping a tequila. Great access to a lot of distilleries both big and small. You can also join a jimedor and cut the agave which is a cool learning experience.
From what was explained on our tour, the core of the agave produces a byproduct that impacts the flavor of the tequila. Due to the time and cost involved, most distilleries use the entire fruit. In Oaxaca, they remove the cores and only use the outer portions of the fruit. As a result, they produce less tequila per plant, but a much smoother final product.

It could be complete bullshit, but the tour guide made it sound nice and said it's how his family has been doing it for 5 generations.

From what was explained on our tour, the core of the agave produces a byproduct that impacts the flavor of the tequila. Due to the time and cost involved, most distilleries use the entire fruit. In Oaxaca, they remove the cores and only use the outer portions of the fruit. As a result, they produce less tequila per plant, but a much smoother final product.

It could be complete bullshit, but the tour guide made it sound nice and said it's how his family has been doing it for 5 generations.
Was that for mezcal in general? I don't think Oaxaca makes tequila, or at least not in the traditional sense.

Was that for mezcal in general? I don't think Oaxaca makes tequila, or at least not in the traditional sense.
They only referenced tequila, so I can't speak to mezcal in general. We were in Cozumel, and due to the coral based soil, agave would not grow. They source all of their fruit from the mainland.

I think legally tequila can only be made in Jalisco and a few other states. It might be like other protected products that the method is similar just can’t legally call it that.

Come to think of it, I've been on three tequila tours on Cozumel, and none of them had the actual distillery on site, so that makes sense.

Anybody gotten into Sotol at all? Seems to be increasingly popular up here but I haven’t really tried any

Years ago, a friend had a birthday or house warming or some shit. Invited some of the crew over from his favorite Mexican restaurant and they brought over a bottle of Cazadores Reposado.

I'm not much of a tequila fan, but I can drink that stuff, and whenever I do buy a bottle, it's usually that. Nothing fancy, but solid. If it's good enough for real Mexicans, it's good enough for me.

The bottle used to be cooler.

The 12 year aged in French Cognac barrels. This is the darkest and smoothest tequila I've ever tasted. It's one of 300 bottles they produce each year.
Broke into this a few minutes ago for New Years. It's far and away the best and most unique tequila I've ever had.

Anybody gotten into Sotol at all? Seems to be increasingly popular up here but I haven’t really tried any
My old shop in DC always has a handful of Sotol on the shelf and I've tried most of them. Don't really remember which ones I had other than Flor del Desierto (though I might recognize labels), but like anything there were some I remember liking a lot and some I recall thinking weren't great. I think that there is some good value to be had with Sotol and won't be surprised to see a lot more of it show up on shelves as Tequila and Mezcal become more expensive due to lower agave yields.

We have a bottle of Patron Silver that we're trying to get rid of. It's been sitting in the cabinet taking up space for some time. After drinking good tequila for a while now, this really is shit.

How did I drink El Toro in college and survive.

Try this One

I drank way too much Milagro in Puerto Rico because the group I was with bought a ton of it for the week. I can’t even think about drinking it again. It’s so bad

Back