• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grandmas and their grub

I miss the tiny biscuits, covered in my choice of sausage and gravy or her homemade strawberry preserves. The last time she made that breakfast for me was 1983...I can still taste it.

My grandmother made a hell of a stew.

Grandmas-Boy-2.gif

Turnip greens that would blow your mind.

Mac n cheese w/ honey baked ham.

my grandmas are still kicking and one makes awesome greek food (and great mac and cheese) and the other makes great italian food

chicken salad to die for.
awesome homemade rolls
potato salad

Whenever we'd go visit my grandma on her mountain there would be a big bowl of vegetable beef stew and a fresh pan of cornbread waiting for us. I can still taste it and haven't had it in 15 years.

My grandmother made quite the racist comment.

My dad's mom would make homemade donuts. Powder sugar, Cinnamon, melted chocolate. She lived on a farm and would make pies with fresh picked berries. Apple blueberry was my fav.
My mom's mom would make homemade perogies. :drool:

Which races did your grandmothers hate?

Mine hated Italians most of all. She was Irish and married a Pole.

my italian grandparents hated the jews, the mics, the blacks, everyone really

Mom's mom just hates everyone, but especially blacks, latinos, and democrats.

Not sure about Dad's mom. She was sweet as sugar, but if I had to guess she wasn't a big fan of blacks.

i don't think my grandmother saw a black person til she was 60

Mom's mom worked a full time job and also maintained a acre sized garden in her back yard. Long rows of corn, eggplant, pole beans, okra, you name it.

She would get home from a full day's work and then work another 2-3 hours in the garden, then sit on the back porch smoking and shucking beans or canning/preserving until late. Then do it all over again. Amazing lady.

I don't remember my grandparents ever making racist comments, at least not to me. With my maternal grandma, we would go pick blueberries in the yard and bake muffins and cobblers. With my paternal grandmother, what I most strongly remember eating was lobster and lots of butter. They lived on Cape Cod. For a dessert treat we'd have "purple cows" which were ice cream floats but using grape juice + tonic water instead of soda. Yum. Mostly I just saw my grandparents for a week or two per summer.

Back