• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grandmas and their grub

Lamb chops, mashed potatos, green beans. And Irish Soda Bread. Can still smell/taste it and it has probably been over 20 years.

my grandma could fry a mean chicken

one time we moved her into a nursing facility in Atlanta and on move-in day another old white lady came up to my aunt and was like "honey, can you fetch one of the slaves to bring me my medicine?"

I wish I could've tasted my great grandmother's food. she owned a restaurant in Lumberton way back in the day that was apparently awesome according to my mom.

My grandmother made the best southern style biscuits I have ever had. I watched her dozens of times and tried to replicate it but have never been able to. My biscuits are good but her's were out of this world. Miss her and those biscuits.

My father's father was a KKK member in Greensboro. My Dad somehow broke away from it but it's pretty embarrassing. He wasn't shy about it either. It's pretty amazing how far my father came after getting his engineering degree from State. But as I mentioned before, his Momma could sure make some biscuits.

one grandma is 80 and super lib. we popped the bubbly for obammy, and she cried saying she never thought she'd live to see it. she just wants to hold on to see a woman prez (sorry grammy, not happenin). her specialties are anything southern (chicken and dumplings, ham and fixens, etc.), desserts, and seafood newberg.

the other isn't really racist i don't think, but she's defs way more conservative. she does all the southern specialties, but her fried chicken is the BOMB.

I wish I could've tasted my great grandmother's food. she owned a restaurant in Lumberton way back in the day that was apparently awesome according to my mom.

best fried catfish and roe ever was my great grandmother's. she died on the farm she was raised in that had a huge pond/small lake on it full of catfish and bass. yummmmmmmmm.

one grandma is 80 and super lib. we popped the bubbly for obammy, and she cried saying she never thought she'd live to see it. she just wants to hold on to see a woman prez (sorry grammy, not happenin). her specialties are anything southern (chicken and dumplings, ham and fixens, etc.), desserts, and seafood newberg.

the other isn't really racist i don't think, but she's defs way more conservative. she does all the southern specialties, but her fried chicken is the BOMB.

the super lib one also pushes all mine and my lady's friends to live with their gf/bfs before tying the knot. it's hilarious.

Out of my three, the only things that really stick out are my nana's whipped potatoes that I beg for every Thanksgiving and my step-grandmother's sweet potatoes. I'm hoping that in a few years I'll be the best cook in the family :noidea:

My grandmother made the best southern style biscuits I have ever had. I watched her dozens of times and tried to replicate it but have never been able to. My biscuits are good but her's were out of this world. Miss her and those biscuits.

yep, this was my grandmother's specialty too. her biscuits were out of this world. she passed down the recipe and my aunt makes them for family get togethers now, but they're just not the same.

Dads mom died when I was 7 so I don't really remember her but she made a sick pound cake. I posted the recipe not long ago on the ct. She also made really really good Chinese food randomly... She took a class at some point and made legit Chinese food every Christmas Eve. Weird since she was as southern as they come, though she did have a doctorate degree which was a big deal at the time for a conservative southern lady. (Went back to school for it in the 70s and was actually at duke for her doctorate while my dad was there for undergrad). Wish she could have been around for a bit longer because I know I would have just loved being around her now and hearing her stories!

Moms mom made a meeeeean chicken pastry. She's still alive but at 97, she doesn't get around the kitchen as well as she used to. Re: the racist part? Kinda. I've definitely heard her use the "n" word a time or two, and being that she's almost deaf it's usually awkwardly loud. Oooooh MeeMaw.

Last edited:
Southern grandma: blackberry cobbler. Italian grandma: the sauce. Only told me not to associate with Sicilians.

Back