• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great Restaurants in Blowing Rock...

Gamekeeper is absolutely excellent.

Went to Crippens on expense account about 2 years ago. Was awesome. If you have money to burn, order the Irish coffee: they have a guy there who brings a cart to your table and makes Irish coffee over an open flame. It takes like 10 minutes and is the best spectacle I have ever been part of in a restaurant, plus it was delicious.

I was going to say Crippen's

Went to the Best Cellar a few months ago... had something happen I'd never experienced before:

Left for Blowing Rock (about an hour away) for dinner on a Wednesday night and decided upon pulling out of our place that we'd head to the Best Cellar. Figured they wouldn't be packed, but decided to call ahead just to be safe. We called at 6 asking for a 7 p.m. reservation. They told me they couldn't seat us (just my fiancee and myself) until 7:15. No big deal.

Wind up getting there at 6:50 and checked in with the hostess... She told us to have a seat & wait for our reservation time.

Between 6:50 and 7:15... 3 different couples walked in and were seated immediately after each were asked if they had a reservation and responding 'no'.

After the 2nd of the 3 couples walked in and were seated ahead of us... I asked the hostess (and then the manager) what the deal was, and they both explained something nonsensical about scheduling tables for waiters with some priority given to walk-ups vs. reservations. One of the weirder things I've had someone try to explain to me; if anybody else can give the logic behind it... I'd love to hear it.

It wasn't a huge deal and I love that place's food... but it was certainly something I wouldn't expect from a place that nice & it will likely encourage us to try something other than the Best Cellar the next time we splurge in the Boone/Blowing Rock area.

are you black?

Went to the Best Cellar a few months ago... had something happen I'd never experienced before:

Left for Blowing Rock (about an hour away) for dinner on a Wednesday night and decided upon pulling out of our place that we'd head to the Best Cellar. Figured they wouldn't be packed, but decided to call ahead just to be safe. We called at 6 asking for a 7 p.m. reservation. They told me they couldn't seat us (just my fiancee and myself) until 7:15. No big deal.

Wind up getting there at 6:50 and checked in with the hostess... She told us to have a seat & wait for our reservation time.

Between 6:50 and 7:15... 3 different couples walked in and were seated immediately after each were asked if they had a reservation and responding 'no'.

After the 2nd of the 3 couples walked in and were seated ahead of us... I asked the hostess (and then the manager) what the deal was, and they both explained something nonsensical about scheduling tables for waiters with some priority given to walk-ups vs. reservations. One of the weirder things I've had someone try to explain to me; if anybody else can give the logic behind it... I'd love to hear it.

It wasn't a huge deal and I love that place's food... but it was certainly something I wouldn't expect from a place that nice & it will likely encourage us to try something other than the Best Cellar the next time we splurge in the Boone/Blowing Rock area.

I am not that surprised. There are really nice restaurants out there (even nicer than Best Cellar- Magnolia Grill in Durham comes to mind R.I.P) that have a certain number of or certain tables that are reserved for walk-ins vs. reservations. I am sure when you made your reservation they reserved a specific table for you and you showed up 25 minutes early, which would throw their while seating structure off- especially if they have a certain number of tables reserved for walk-ins only. I have seen the same thing happen at MG. Now, if you were a known big spender or known entity I am sure they would have made and exception.

Yeah, I think that's pretty common at nicer places (that don't just outright fill up). There are more or less scheduled seatings spread among the waitstaff, and then a few tables reserved for walk-ins scattered in there as well to try and keep things equally distributed.

Was just in Blowing Rock this week. Lots of Wake Forest stuff there.

going to B Rock for the day in a week or so, any good lunch joints?

Where for lunch that you can sit outside since I'll have 2 small dogs with me?

Blowing Rock Cafe would be my recommendation. Get either the quiche or the veggie plate. Also, their veggie soup is really good.

Last edited:
You can also sit outside at the Six Pence Pub with your dogs, if you want pub fare. It's nothing special in my opinion, but it's not bad and if the weather is nice, sitting in their patio area is pretty relaxing.

Lots of good restaurants in BR, but none I would consider "great."

The Village Cafe is my favorite.

Drive to Boone and go to Coyote Kitchen. That's the best restaurant in the area.

Truth. This place is great. There's a new place in Boone called Proper that is very good.

Back