• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Athlete of All-Time?

Greatest Athlete of All-Time

• Total voters
"I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."

kenny-powers1.jpg

Not that he should top the list or anything, but it's pretty boss that Dave Winfield was drafted in all 3 major sports.

I'd go 1)Jim Thorpe 2)Jim Brown, played lacrosse at 'Cuse 3)Wilt Chamberlin, ran track at Kansas. For the females, I would put Babe next to Jackie Joyner Kersee at the top of the list.

Do the younger folk even know who Jim Thorpe is?

Not that he should top the list or anything, but it's pretty boss that Dave Winfield was drafted in all 3 major sports.

And Winfield is the only athlete drafted by four different pro leagues (MLB, NBA, ABA, and NFL).

All things considered, I would have to go with Jim Brown. His credentials are staggering. He was one of the greatest NFL running backs of all time, an All-American lacrosse player who was one of the finest ever, averaged 38 points per game in high school basketball and lettered in hoops at Syracuse, finished fifth in the 1956 national decathlon championship, was offered a minor-league deal by the Yankees, and could have been a pro boxer after he retired.

No mention of Megatron yet? I think him and LeBron are the top 2 currently playing today

Ali. Go to his museum in Louisville and watch the films of his fights. He fought with the footwork of a featherweight and could match power with any heavyweight. With such phenomenal hand eye coordination, he could have been good at anything.

They had this question on a local radio show several a years ago and they got all the usual answers and the guy on the radio said lets get some different answers "think outside the box." I called in and said what about Dave Winfield, 3 sport star in college (hoops, football, and baseball) choose to go to the majors and have an HOF career. Not saying he is the best athlete ever, but I thought it was a pretty good non-obvious choice.

You gotta include Denis Nizhegorodov in the discussion.

Deion - football speaks for itself, an argument can be made that he was a better baseball player than Bo (status ally speaking) and if you wanna get technical he was an all state bball player in HS and could have played college bball. Very slept on

Lebron should absolutely not be included on this list. Best athlete of ALL TIME? Please.

And no mention of Jesse Owens is a bad oversight.

I've always thought it was unfair to compare team-sport athletes to solo athletes like boxers. Seems like there should be two categories.

Back