• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grill Recommendations

TooManyWeapons

Reaction score
I know there was already the Pit Grilling Thread with recipes and such, however I am in the market for my first grill. Fire away with recommendations and pit falls of the purchasing process.

My only requirement is gas and the price range is maxed out around $400-500 (closer to $300 would really be ideal).

I know there was already the Pit Grilling Thread with recipes and such, however I am in the market for my first grill. Fire away with recommendations and pit falls of the purchasing process.

My only requirement is gas and the price range is maxed out around $400-500 (closer to $300 would really be ideal).

Why gas?

The Charbroil Infrared is pretty sweet as far as gas goes, but a barrel grill with side smoker box is hard to argue with.

Gas is mainly for time reasons. I like charcoal a lot more but with my schedule right now I need to be able to fire it up quickly (and the wifey can start a gas grill, so it's ready when I get home).

I'll probably get a small charcoal grill for Saturday afternoons.

Weber Spirit E-310. $389 online (quick google search so you may find it lower). 3 burners, no side burner fluff, just Weber quality. The cook quality over the many Charbroils I've owned over the years is ridiculous. Got mine two years ago -- still looks and cooks as good as ever (though I did have a sweet fire in the catch pan last week -- it needed a cleaning!).

Whatever you choose, make sure it has the word Weber on it. For the price range you are looking at, you can easily find a grill that will be everything you'd need. Will you mostly be cooking for yourself and your wife, or larger groups? Unless you plan on routinely cooking for 8-10 people, you wont need a ginormous grill.

Also, how soon are you looking to purchase? As the fall arrives, the larger stores generally will put their summer grills on clearance, so if you are able to sit on it for a few months, you can more than likely get a much bigger grill for the same price this fall.

Also, how soon are you looking to purchase? As the fall arrives, the larger stores generally will put their summer grills on clearance, so if you are able to sit on it for a few months, you can more than likely get a much bigger grill for the same price this fall.

Does this typically make a huge difference? We won't be getting anything until August. I'm guessing sales would be post labor day (unofficial end of summer)?

I'm also in the market. Have charcoal, but ready for something faster on weeknights and such.
Can anybody weigh in on Traegers? A friend says they are the shit, much more flavor, basically same prep time as gas, with easy slow cooking and smoking ability too.

True? False? Affordable?

Consumer Reports ranks Brinkmann grills pretty high, and they are not nearly as expensive as comparably ranked grills. I've been pleased with mine.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has the word Weber on it.

+1 to this, "saving" money on any other brand is a false economy. We had a 15 year old Weber that we finally replaced with another brand, needless to say we bought a new Weber within a year.

Get the small charcoal grill for every afternoon.

Does this typically make a huge difference? We won't be getting anything until August. I'm guessing sales would be post labor day (unofficial end of summer)?

You can save around $100 usually. The start of tailgating generally correlates with the drop in prices.

I'm also in the market. Have charcoal, but ready for something faster on weeknights and such.
Can anybody weigh in on Traegers? A friend says they are the shit, much more flavor, basically same prep time as gas, with easy slow cooking and smoking ability too.

True? False? Affordable?

Traeger grill or smoker? I've heard quite a few people rave about their smokers, but I've not heard much about their grills.

Weber Spirit E-310. $389 online (quick google search so you may find it lower). 3 burners, no side burner fluff, just Weber quality. The cook quality over the many Charbroils I've owned over the years is ridiculous. Got mine two years ago -- still looks and cooks as good as ever (though I did have a sweet fire in the catch pan last week -- it needed a cleaning!).

Whatever you choose, make sure it has the word Weber on it. For the price range you are looking at, you can easily find a grill that will be everything you'd need. Will you mostly be cooking for yourself and your wife, or larger groups? Unless you plan on routinely cooking for 8-10 people, you wont need a ginormous grill.

The Spirit is a great choice for your price range. Go the the post office and pick up a change of address kit, which usually contains a 10% Lowes coupon. Then go to HH Gregg and have them match the coupon + take a little more off. They're pretty good about doing that.

Is it a big bonus to go with the 3 burner over the 2 burner? The spirit 2 burner is about 100 bucks less. On a typical day I'll only need to cook for 4 people, max.

You can cook with two burners and get a Weber really hot (500+) while leaving that third burner off and that grill space off flame, allowing you to do some pretty good cooking. Random Weber success story: our oven wasn't cooperating two nights ago (off again/on again -- I'm being stubborn about calling a repair person). I "baked" nuggets and smiles on the grill for the kids. Two burners on ~ medium got it to 450, nuggets and smiles on foil over the burner turned off . . . perfection.

But buy what you can afford man! If all you can spring for right now is a two burner Spirit you are still getting a great grill.

Is it a big bonus to go with the 3 burner over the 2 burner? The spirit 2 burner is about 100 bucks less. On a typical day I'll only need to cook for 4 people, max.

i have the 210, and i'm happy with it. i have never used the 310, so i can't comment on how much of a difference it would make, but i like the 210, and it's more than enough space for what i need it for (usually max out at 4-5 people, but i would have space enough for more than that if i needed it)

The Spirit is a great choice for your price range. Go the the post office and pick up a change of address kit, which usually contains a 10% Lowes coupon. Then go to HH Gregg and have them match the coupon + take a little more off. They're pretty good about doing that.

I purchased a Weber Spirit E-310 Natural Gas Grill from Amazon last year and I love it. Very high quality and I hooked it up to the house natural gas line. No trips for fuel. Always ready to cook in less than 5 minutes.

Definitely purchase the Weber Spirit E-310...you'll enjoy having the additional sq in to work with, plus I like having the 3rd burner when you are cooking indirectly in the grill (1 on, 2 off). I've had a Genesis Silver B (the Spirit's predecessor) since 2001 and it has endured the elements very well....no rust, no replacement parts needed. And I would recommend purchasing from Home Depot, as they used to outfit the Webers with porcelain coated cast iron grates, which are vastly superior in heat retention to stainless steel or porcelain enameled grates....for FREE!!!

789792050508lg.jpg

Get this from Lowe's. Usually priced at $299, I got it on sale for $199. You can attach a smoker box to the side. Gas on one side when you're in a hurry, charcoal on the other when you're not. Plus you can use the gas burner to light up your charcoal in a chimney.

So far I have had great success with it.

Definitely purchase the Weber Spirit E-310...you'll enjoy having the additional sq in to work with, plus I like having the 3rd burner when you are cooking indirectly in the grill (1 on, 2 off). I've had a Genesis Silver B (the Spirit's predecessor) since 2001 and it has endured the elements very well....no rust, no replacement parts needed. And I would recommend purchasing from Home Depot, as they used to outfit the Webers with porcelain coated cast iron grates, which are vastly superior in heat retention to stainless steel or porcelain enameled grates....for FREE!!!

Agree that you should go w/ the 3 burner. It will give you much more versatility in what you can cook. I have a Genesis, and when I do butts/shoulders I just put the front burner on low, leave the other 2 off, and have the butts/shoulders at the back of the grill.

Back