• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grinnell College's Jack Taylor gets 109 (he scored 138 last year)

He doesn't cross the halfcourt line to play defense and just stays on the offensive side of the court and the coach tells every other player to pass it to him every time.

I think he only played 29 minutes as well.

Also this is one of the "bad whites" bkf would warn you about.

I talked to a friend who plays D3 Bball and Said that his coach said that the Grinnell coach is making a mockery of the game by running this system. YouTube grinnell and you can watch a full game and you can see for yourself they aren't really playing defense at all. And the competition is clearly weak.

I talked to a friend who plays D3 Bball and Said that his coach said that the Grinnell coach is making a mockery of the game by running this system. YouTube grinnell and you can watch a full game and you can see for yourself they aren't really playing defense at all. And the competition is clearly weak.

mockery? i thought the point of any game is to score the most points?

Everyone talks about wanting guys to "think outside the box" and then when somebody actually does they're "a mockery"

The coach's goal is not to win the game. It is to have one player to score the most points possible. They play 3 on 5 defense so that the other team will take a quick open shot so they can get the ball back for Taylor to shoot a three. As soon as the other team is in the foul bonus they foul on the inbounds to get the ball back asap so that Taylor can shoot a three. How is that not a mockery?

Yet they've made the postseason 11 times under their current coach and won their conference 5 times.

Imagine how successful they'd be if they sent all 5 players back on defense and didn't foul to get the ball back.... things employed by the "system" that clearly that do not help winning whatsoever.

Reads like the chapter about the Indian dude coaching girls basketball from Gladwell's David and Goliath

The coach's goal is not to win the game. It is to have one player to score the most points possible. They play 3 on 5 defense so that the other team will take a quick open shot so they can get the ball back for Taylor to shoot a three. As soon as the other team is in the foul bonus they foul on the inbounds to get the ball back asap so that Taylor can shoot a three. How is that not a mockery?

Does it work? Seems to. I don't see how it's a mockery. It's a winning strategy.

Imagine how successful they'd be if they sent all 5 players back on defense and didn't foul to get the ball back.... things employed by the "system" that clearly that do not help winning whatsoever.

Actually, it seems like those are some of the keys to the system they are winning with.

lol how is giving the other team open shots and free throws part of a winning strategy? Or telling your own players not to shoot open shots and to make sure to pass the ball to Taylor? Just because they beat something called Crossroads doesn't mean it was because of some genius strategy to get news headlines. I mean seriously guys.

How has this kid not gotten the shit kicked out of him yet. I'd have him fucking crushed once or twice a game if I was a rival coach.

I watched about half that video posted on here and his shots were either WIDE OPEN, or there was one guy on him. Why wouldn't you double team him and make one of their other guys beat you? His teammates are all obviously shit since they're okay with passing it to him every play and never shooting it themselves. They have one player, who you know is shooting it every time down the floor. It seems pretty easy to take him away.

lol how is giving the other team open shots and free throws part of a winning strategy? Or telling your own players not to shoot open shots and to make sure to pass the ball to Taylor? Just because they beat something called Crossroads doesn't mean it was because of some genius strategy to get news headlines. I mean seriously guys.

i mean, it's DIII and they win a lot. i don't think anyone is saying Duke should change it's gameplan

Back