• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grinnell College's Jack Taylor gets 109 (he scored 138 last year)

Players would rebound a missed Taylor three and have a wide open lay up and they'd throw the ball back to Taylor to shoot a three. When he scored 138 they planned to execute the system against Faith Baptist. Not an NCAA school, not an NAIA school, a National Christian College Athletic Association school. The game was an exhibition for them but it counted as a regular game for Grinnell. You'll find better competition at most YMCAs.

I thought Pistol Pete was a one man team but this guy doesn't even his Dad coaching him. Averaging 90ppg so far. Pretty sweet setup. Criticize all you want, but 24 for 48 behind the arc ain't shabby.

Because it's helping them win?

fwiw they don't do this against normal opponents because it clearly doesn't equal a winning strategy. they could beat faith baptist and crossroads easily without employing those strategies. their goal is something else. im sure you've all watched a basketball game before and understand that giving the opposition open shots and free throws is generally harmful.

The entire time I'm listening to the kid talk I couldn't help but think about the cliche speech in Bull Durham.

The kid's quote:

"I can only give the glory to God. He's given me the opportunity, the gifts that I have, and I just pray that I can remain humble."

fwiw they don't do this against normal opponents because it clearly doesn't equal a winning strategy. they could beat faith baptist and crossroads easily without employing those strategies. their goal is something else. im sure you've all watched a basketball game before and understand that giving the opposition open shots and free throws is generally harmful.

You sound so much like BKF it's delicious. "They're not playing the game the RIGHT way!"

i just enjoy that people who watch basketball regularly are arguing that fouling up 30 to get the ball back is a winning strategy.

here's a nice deadspin article on grinnell and taylor... you know the echo chamber for bkf views.

also, bkf would probably love this because everyone involved is white.

There's no arguing whether it's a winning strategy or not, because it clearly is. When they employ it, they win. The shrill protesting about competition, etc. is just white noise.

I mean Bz could beat Presbyterian while committing a host of comedic coaching errors that I wouldn't call winning strategies.

Imagine how successful they'd be if they sent all 5 players back on defense and didn't foul to get the ball back.... things employed by the "system" that clearly that do not help winning whatsoever.

You mean like the 25 seasons prior to Dave Arseneault arrival at Grinnell, when the didn't have a single winning season?

Back