• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe and Cutliffe

socaldeac

Reaction score
It is interesting how many thing Grobe should retire because of his age. Interestingly Cutliffe is only two years younger than Grobe. He seems yet to be in his prime.

It is very clear the difference between Grobe being a coach most would hardly care to remember is Riley Skinner. How many games did he win with his moxy. Grobe single handling blew several other ACC potential Championship games. He also has been way to loyal to his staff.

The big difference between these coaches is simplify what SOCALDEAC labeled Grobe as SOFT Seventeen. Grobe clearly stays on 17, while Cutliffe appears to take the hit and then some. I would assume Cutliffe will be able sustain what Duke is doing and they quickly will become the Standford of the South. Wake had its window and Grobe decided to sit on the 17 and eventually was beat to the punch by Vandy and Duke.

SOCALDEAC tends to be 5 years out in front of others on the board. His comments early tend to be controversial, but now they are quite mainstreem.

Last edited:
I have no idea who you are, but I think you are a douche for ALL-CAPS'ing your fucking own internet username. That is so lame.

I have no idea who you are, but I think you are a douche for ALL-CAPS'ing your fucking own internet username. That is so lame.

Check SOCALDEAC's history. Wake soccer will win a national championship, tennis will be next, Grobe must go, ISH to the League, etc.....

Check SOCALDEAC's history. Wake soccer will win a national championship, tennis will be next, Grobe must go, ISH to the League, etc.....

SOCALDEAC = Internet Wake AD = His opinions 5 years ago are now the mainstream of this board. Respect him. He is your leader.

SOCALDEAC = Internet Wake AD = His opinions 5 years ago are now the mainstream of this board. Respect him. He is your leader.

You are not nearly as important as you think you are.

Oh, and stop quoting yourself two minutes after the original post. That's pathetic behavior.

Cutliffe has hunger in his belly & SEC heritage, & a strong desire to succeed...Grobe has an ACC title, Orange Bowl appearance and $2M+ contract which I believe is good for several more years...

Tiresome bullshit has all the same smell whether it's Socal or lectro.

I have no idea what soft at 17 means, but part of the initial post reads like those old roboheel posts. Seems almost randomly generated.

Grobe is also full of shit. After the offensive disaster that was the spring game, we heard the S.O.S. We played hard, we practiced hard, we taped our ankles hard. Then the BC game, a complete embarassment. ULM "but we only lost by two" crap. Army was beating us! For 2 plus games, old Jim returned to us. Then came complacent Jim and 72-3 beat downs in two game. Old Jim might come back for the Duke game, but a win will just welcome back compacent Jim for Vandy. Next year we'll go 2-10. I figure Army and Syracuse at home will be our only victories. That's when he can't hide behind LOWF and even ESPN will stop calling him "GREAT".

Cutcliffe has a very, very good staff. We do not.

I completely agree with this, but I think it should be noted that Grobe had a very good staff the first few years as well. The problem in my opinion is when we started losing some key members of the staff Grobe didn't do a great job replacing them. Promoting people that probably weren't the best candidates has caused problems. Cutcliffe may start facing this situation is assistants on his staff start getting other offers. I also think Cutcliffe is a lot more connected in the coaching community than probably Grobe is. Cutcliffe was at Tennessee when they were one of the best programs in the country and he's given a lot of credit for the Manning boys. Honestly for Duke to be able to bring in a coach of Cutcliffe's caliber with the state that the program was in, was really impressive and I think they're seeing the dividends now. It remains to be seen how well it can be sustained though.

Cutcliffe's ACC record prior to this year:
2008 1–7
2009 3–5
2010 1–7
2011 1–7
2012 3–5

Had he turned in that performance at Wake (historically a worse program than Duke) I'm guessing the praise in this thread would be a bit more muted.

Cutcliffe's ACC record prior to this year:
2008 1–7
2009 3–5
2010 1–7
2011 1–7
2012 3–5

Had he turned in that performance at Wake (historically a worse program than Duke) I'm guessing the praise in this thread would be a bit more muted.

You have to look at more than the record, Duke's level of play began to immediately improve under Cutcliffe and he inherited a complete train wreck. Grobe didn't inherit a great situation, but we had been to a bowl 2 years prior and we did have some talent in the fold.

You have to look at more than the record, Duke's level of play began to immediately improve under Cutcliffe and he inherited a complete train wreck. Grobe didn't inherit a great situation, but we had been to a bowl 2 years prior and we did have some talent in the fold.

Whatever the past, I am more concerned about the future. As a program we have no energy or plan for the future , we only have the now distant past, we can't coach and we can't recruit- we lose a lot this year and this new class is poor. Cutcliffe is now the one doing more with less- we are two trains headed in different directions and we are not going the right way. We have an engineer that can't and won't do anything substantive to turn us around and we have no fireman. On the other hand- do we really want Wellman to ire someone new. When Grobe leaves physically, the cupboard will be bare.

liveanddiedeac, That may be true. Still, I imagine this board wouldn't have sung Cutcliffe's praises after consecutive 1-7 seasons in year 3 and year 4.

Back