• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe and Cutliffe

Cutliffe has hunger in his belly & SEC heritage, & a strong desire to succeed...Grobe has an ACC title, Orange Bowl appearance and $2M+ contract which I believe is good for several more years...

I think its good until 2016 right?

dcon69 hit it right on the head. It all ends on Wellmans desk and he'll pick a tennis playing buddy from the country club. The dark days have returned. This same rise to respectability has happened at Duke, and the other teams will pass them too, eventually.

Duke has opened the academics enough to help out Cutcliffe, meanwhile back at home Nathan O has tightened ours from prior years. It is hurting all of our sports quite frankly. Until we get finished with this charade of trying to be the next Notre Dame or Ivy League type school and ranked in the Top 10 you can say goodbye to being competitive in athletics.

Grobe and Co. did a great job selling that coming to WF you will be part of something special, building a FB future. It worked and we had great recruits and the record spoke for itself. Unfortunately Grobe did not maintain the recruiting efforts either by poor recruiting or simply thinking upper tier kids will flock to WF to play. Regardless it's been a downward spiral ever since. Cutcliffe is in the same position. He's got a mix of players to to very well this season. The question is will he "pull a Grobe" or keep moving forward.

Yep. Grobe's been to the OB promise land.

Cutcliffe is trying to get there- but won't with Jimbo's F$U back to blowing out conference opponents by 50+ points.

Yep..definitely a tougher environment today for a school like Wake or Duke to win an ACC championship.

It's tougher for anybody not just Duke and Wake. We all had a window to knock down FSU. That window has closed. At least we got a championship out of it.

Duke has opened the academics enough to help out Cutcliffe, meanwhile back at home Nathan O has tightened ours from prior years. It is hurting all of our sports quite frankly. Until we get finished with this charade of trying to be the next Notre Dame or Ivy League type school and ranked in the Top 10 you can say goodbye to being competitive in athletics.

I've heard this from multiple sources. Doesn't make it true but it damn sure sounds believable based upon recent results.

It is interesting how many thing Grobe should retire because of his age. Interestingly Cutliffe is only two years younger than Grobe. He seems yet to be in his prime.

It is very clear the difference between Grobe being a coach most would hardly care to remember is Riley Skinner. How many games did he win with his moxy. Grobe single handling blew several other ACC potential Championship games. He also has been way to loyal to his staff.

The big difference between these coaches is simplify what SOCALDEAC labeled Grobe as SOFT Seventeen. Grobe clearly stays on 17, while Cutliffe appears to take the hit and then some. I would assume Cutliffe will be able sustain what Duke is doing and they quickly will become the Standford of the South. Wake had its window and Grobe decided to sit on the 17 and eventually was beat to the punch by Vandy and Duke.

SOCALDEAC tends to be 5 years out in front of others on the board. His comments early tend to be controversial, but now they are quite mainstreem.

As long as Grobe can make us the Harvard of the West I'm happy

Every school ahead of us in the US News rankings that plays big time college sports has a better sports program than us traditionally except for Northwestern. Geez, we're tied with UVa, UCLA, and USC. Why does Hatch believe we need to tighten up to move up the rankings? You gotta think the athletic reputations of those schools help boost their stature.

As far as Director's Cup standings:

35 Princeton
57 Harvard
59 Cornell
62 Yale
70 Dartmouth
81 Columbia
94 Brown
98 Wake Forest
102 Penn

Ivies aren't using the academics excuse.

I haven't looked at which sports are included in the Director's Cup standings in awhile but I imagine most of the Ivy League schools are raking up points in crew, hockey, lacrosse, field hockey, soccer, etc. But still amazing how we stack up in that list. I trained at Dartmouth and during my time there I can't recall any sport beyond hockey and soccer that they were decent at.

Princeton scored 100 points in fencing and 85 in women's rowing.

We have gotten FH points before, but there are still about 80-90 programs are so playing D1 FH. Fencing has 24 total.

They field teams and excel at those sports. That's what Wake doesn't do.

Back