• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe comments and predictions

socaldeac

Reaction score
Comments

I have never seen a college coach quit a multi-million dollar job, and say he did not know how much money he left on the table. Do you believe his comments?

It seems to me he realized the future at Wake was not bright. Interestingly, Wellman did not stay please stay Grobe, and Grobe clearly did not attempt to position one of his younger coaches at the next leader.

I assume Grobe was losing on the recruiting trail, and expected a serious whip job next year.

Prediction GROBE to UVA.

Might not be so far-fetched. When I met/talked with him briefly at his Raleigh intro, I said, I know you wanted the Virginia job, but we are very glad to have you here. He sorta nodded and said/ indicated, yeah. So, maybe in the future. .. He did a lot for Wake.

Comments

I have never seen a college coach quit a multi-million dollar job, and say he did not know how much money he left on the table. Do you believe his comments?

It seems to me he realized the future at Wake was not bright. Interestingly, Wellman did not stay please stay Grobe, and Grobe clearly did not attempt to position one of his younger coaches at the next leader.

I assume Grobe was losing on the recruiting trail, and expected a serious whip job next year.

Prediction GROBE to UVA.

Cannot see Grobe at UVA at this point. That ship sailed in 2001.

UVA is a mess rivaling our own right now. They don't need what Grobe brings to the table. They need what they thought they were getting with London when they hired him.

I'll pull for Grobe no matter where he lands.

Comments

Yes, I do. You are a small and pathetic human being.

Yes, I do. You are a small and pathetic human being.

You believe he didn't know/care how much money he left on the table?

You are a small and idiotic human being. This has force-out written all over it. From the BOT not Wellman

Comments

Prediction GROBE to UVA.

My understanding is that he chose to walk away. No pressure. Felt Wellman and Wake had been good to him and that he was not delivering. Really thought the last two seasons would be good ones. Also pleased with the last few recruiting classes.

You believe he didn't know/care how much money he left on the table?

You are a small and idiotic human being. This has force-out written all over it. From the BOT not Wellman

Don't buy it...if that is the case then how has the BOT not gone over RW and canned Buzz? Lord knows he is/was much more deserving.....

Don't buy it...if that is the case then how has the BOT not gone over RW and canned Buzz? Lord knows he is/was much more deserving.....

You might be right. My only answer to that is that Wellman could easily make this look like a peaceful resignation while if Buzz resigned everyone would know it is Ron eating his crow.

No one actually believes that Grobe had no idea how much $$ he's leaving on the table do they?

No one actually believes that Grobe had no idea how much $$ he's leaving on the table do they?

On the other hand, its quite possible given how little he knew what was going on with his own football team the last 4 years

No agent would allow his client to resign without at least first telling him the potential implications.

I'm sure he roughly knows. I think that was Grobe just being folksy like he does. I think what is more to the point is that he really doesn't care.

Grobe won 77 games in 13 years , or roughly 6 games per year. Caldwell won 26 games in 8 years , about 3 wins per year. Dooley averaged 4.8 wins in 6 years. Al Groh had 26 wins in 6 years (avg 4.3). Mackovic won 4.6 games per year over 3 years . No need to talk about Chuck Mills. Enough said

Grobe won 77 games in 13 years , or roughly 6 games per year. Caldwell won 26 games in 8 years , about 3 wins per year. Dooley averaged 4.8 wins in 6 years. Al Groh had 26 wins in 6 years (avg 4.3). Mackovic won 4.6 games per year over 3 years . No need to talk about Chuck Mills. Enough said

Peahead Walker had a +26 W/L record vs. -5 for Grobe

I question Emperor Wellman's knowledge of football success past

We were 57-36 in the 1940s vs. the "outstanding" 61-60 in the 2000s

Peahead Walker had a +26 W/L record vs. -5 for Grobe

I question Emperor Wellman's knowledge of football success past

We were 57-36 in the 1940s vs. the "outstanding" 61-60 in the 2000s

I think it's fairly ridiculous to compare a '40s coach with a '00s coach. The environment is completely different, and the game has evolved. Plus there's that whole WW2 deal to think about.

I think it's fairly ridiculous to compare a '40s coach with a '00s coach. The environment is completely different, and the game has evolved. Plus there's that whole WW2 deal to think about.

Which decade was more successful?

Assuming that he and RW had a talk last year about Lobo and some other assistants, my theory is that he knew they had underperformed again this season and rather than be forced to fire/replace his assistants, he bit the bullet for all of them in a face saving gesture that may help them find employment in the future. If anybody would do that at the risk of losing some serious bank, it would be Grobe. He probably doesn't feel that he has earned his keep in recent years so taking the buyout would just be stealing even more.

Assuming that he and RW had a talk last year about Lobo and some other assistants, my theory is that he knew they had underperformed again this season and rather than be forced to fire/replace his assistants, he bit the bullet for all of them in a face saving gesture that may help them find employment in the future. If anybody would do that at the risk of losing some serious bank, it would be Grobe. He probably doesn't feel that he has earned his keep in recent years so taking the buyout would just be stealing even more.

I absolutely agree

Back