• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe comments and predictions

Peahead Walker had a +26 W/L record vs. -5 for Grobe

I question Emperor Wellman's knowledge of football success past

We were 57-36 in the 1940s vs. the "outstanding" 61-60 in the 2000s

Peahead quit, or was forced out, because the administration was no longer serious about winning. Sound familiar? We have been forced to live with the consequences of that fateful decision for decades. Everyone is tired of this kind of short-sighted stupidity with long term consequences. It's time not to repeat the mistakes of the past. The only question is: will we have the courage not to?

Last edited:
It sickens me to think RW may have pushed Grobe out while he 'couldn't be happier" with that dork who coaches our basketball team.

The timing makes no sense for a Wellman-led push-out. Not buying that for a second. Wellman's admiration for Grobe alone would have delayed pulling the trigger this quickly.

The timing makes no sense for a Wellman-led push-out. Not buying that for a second. Wellman's admiration for Grobe alone would have delayed pulling the trigger this quickly.

I hope you're right.

Agreed. Doesn't seem like enough time for a Wellman-Grobe sit down and heart to heart. Seems like enough time for Grobe to come to grips and talk to the coaching staff (if he hadn't already) and the players.

Assuming that he and RW had a talk last year about Lobo and some other assistants, my theory is that he knew they had underperformed again this season and rather than be forced to fire/replace his assistants, he bit the bullet for all of them in a face saving gesture that may help them find employment in the future. If anybody would do that at the risk of losing some serious bank, it would be Grobe. He probably doesn't feel that he has earned his keep in recent years so taking the buyout would just be stealing even more.

Bingo!

It really makes no sense that the grumbling fan base wants Buzz's head on a spike. While at the same time we are not happy with football results we are willing to give a much longer leash. Instead the man everyone admires and respects is gone and the one we really want gone like 2 years ago remains. It takes a lot to walk away from 2+ million a year. Maybe the BOT put pressure because of all of our complaints, but at the same time they were misplaced because those mostly stop and end with the disaster that is basketball. In order of people that should be gone.

1. Bzdelick
2. Wellman

3. Rest of the Wellman AD
4. Offensive coordinator

5. Other Coordinators

6. Jim Grobe.

It really makes no sense that the grumbling fan base wants Buzz's head on a spike. While at the same time we are not happy with football results we are willing to give a much longer leash. Instead the man everyone admires and respects is gone and the one we really want gone like 2 years ago remains. It takes a lot to walk away from 2+ million a year. Maybe the BOT put pressure because of all of our complaints, but at the same time they were misplaced because those mostly stop and end with the disaster that is basketball. In order of people that should be gone.

1. Bzdelick
2. Wellman

3. Rest of the Wellman AD
4. Offensive coordinator

5. Other Coordinators

6. Jim Grobe.

1. Grobe earned his leash on the field from Day 1.

2. Grobe is 5 times the man Buzz will ever be as evidenced by his decision yesterday, among many others over time that helped him earn a longer leash.

The man is burnt like a Jamaican rolling paper salesman.

He doesn't want to coach; money left on the table is irrelevant. Now will he regain his desire to coach in a few years? Who knows...I think he's probably done, certainly financially he is set for life.

1. Grobe earned his leash on the field from Day 1.

2. Grobe is 5 times the man Buzz will ever be as evidenced by his decision yesterday, among many others over time that helped him earn a longer leash.

This. And I think ELC's comments were right on. This is the 1st year I've called for Grobe's job. I was hopeful that he could have salvaged a nice year this year with the seniors we had, and when he didn't, I thought it was time. It's a testament to Grobe that he thought so too and did the right thing.

While we all wanted Lobo gone, I think to a person we all thought Grobe did a good job until the last few years, and we all thought highly of him as a person. And unlike Buzzdick, he was not 1 to deflect blame by throwing his players under the bus or by pointing at the fan base or school.

And BTW, he is highly thought of around these parts, but I'd be astonished if UVA hired him next year if London continues to struggle.

Back