• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe has lost my respect

It's not that we suck at sports.

It's that we suck in sports and nobody in charge will either fix or admit it. I'd love a fix. I'd settle for honesty.

I have no expectations for either.

VaDeac, when you strive to get players who are not interested in being students, have no intention of ever graduating, and are constantly in some kind of trouble......you have the exact definition of what "being a whore for big-time college athletics" is. If that's what you want for your alma mater, fine, that's your right. It's just not what I want for my alma mater....and I have that same right as you.

Or you have Isaiah Thomas. Take your pick.

Our strategy now is for Wellman and his cronies to make huge money playing the role of the Washington generals

How many of these character issues at Wake completed their eligibility at Wake without graduating? Name names. Remember, according to the Isaiah Clause, turning pro early is A-OK.

Agree. I hate to see him blaming the kids for something the coaches caused.

When did this happen (I didn't listen to post game if it happened there)? In today's MTOW, this is what he said: "We’ve got to get that in the endzone,'' Coach Jim Grobe said afterward. "We’re not very good at it yet, but we’ve got to have a better mentality when we’re down there. That’s the coaches. That’s not the kids. We’ve just got to do the things we need to do down in the red zone, especially the short-yardage stuff where can’t get the yards we need.''

wsc8521s has already lost $100 to the boards because he thinks Franklin can walk on water at Vanderbilt. He just had one good year there, kind of like one of Grobe's years in that 2006-2008 run.....but Franklin isn't going to have winning seasons at Vanderbilt on a regular basis...and neither is anyone else. And Vanderbilt is in a much better position to do so than is WF.

God, I hope you lose this bet. And you still might despite your absurd overconfidence.

Vandy had a ball bounce off their best receiver's hands going into for a winning TD -- playing with a QB making his first career start -- against a team that just pulled the #5 recruiting class in the country. Yeah, it was just a one-year fluke and they can't compete. You really have a handle on the current state of college football

Last edited:
I think everyone is missing the point we don't need a new coach we need another Riley Skinner. If you look at Grobe's record without Riley it looks just like Caldwell and Dooleys'.

Yes, we need another Riley Skinner ... to execute our new option offense

I think everyone is missing the point we don't need a new coach we need another Riley Skinner. If you look at Grobe's record without Riley it looks just like Caldwell and Dooleys'.

Watch it, Dooley had three winning seasons out of six, with a bowl win. Wasn't close to what Caldwell (or his predecessor Groh) managed.

I'd say "being a whore" for college sports equates to belonging to a BCS conference and allowing yourself to be a doormat just to accrue the national exposure and TV money that that membership provides you.

You must spread some rep around...

Lots of bullshit being thrown around about integrity. Part of the integrity of sport is doing what you can to put a product on the field that is as competitive as you can field. Its a good faith thing - you assume the other guy is competing at their highest level within the rules. This discussion happens every year during Week 17 of the NFL season.

If you want to press the bet, I'll lay you 2 to 1 on the 2nd $100.

No way in hell that Vandy wins 8 games this year.

They may well fail to win 8 games this season, losing to Ole Miss was a big blow. But there's no doubt they're on an upward trajectory and will be there again if Franklin stays on board.

You must spread some rep around...

Lots of bullshit being thrown around about integrity. Part of the integrity of sport is doing what you can to put a product on the field that is as competitive as you can field. Its a good faith thing - you assume the other guy is competing at their highest level within the rules. This discussion happens every year during Week 17 of the NFL season.

Another thing that bothers me about the integrity bullshit is people acting like we operate on this higher academic plane. It's bullshit. We absolutely have lowered our standards in order to compete in both basketball and football, and not by a little bit either (how many of the 100 or so scholarship basketball and football players would have been admitted if they applied regularly? Not many). As low as some other programs? Nah, but are our standards any higher than those of Stanford or Vandy or Northwestern or BC or Georgia Tech? I doubt it. I don't want to turn into Mississippi State or anything, but there are coaches out there who can recruit and coach players to play hard and compete, despite facing similar academic standards. And the resource stuff is bull too. I don't believe for a second that BC, Northwestern, or Vanderbilt put any more resources into their football programs than we do.

I fucking hate it when we lay down against teams like Vanderbilt or BC and then the announcers / fans / whatever pull LOWF crap.

Wellman didn't make Grobe one of the top ten highest paid college coaches as a reward for going to the Orange Bowl. No, Wake sacked up and paid him what was an incredible amount of money at the time because we believe he could do it again.

Could we be further from that?

Stanford? You're seriously trying to compare Wake Forest with Stanford? Counting grad students, Stanford has 16,000 students....with a $17 billion endowment. It has played in 13 Rose Bowls and had a Heisman Trophy winner. You think WF can compare with that?

The endowment and enrollment couldn't be less relevant (football creates it's own money, and Wake has about as sweet a deal as any other BCS team when you compare return on investment). Frankly, the only pertinent factor is academic standards which would tilt towards Wake's favor. Stanford's a BCS regular and Wake can't score on our attempts inside the five against Boston College. That garbage should go over really well against Clemson and Florida State. :rolleyes:

Franklin didn't have repeated non-bowl seasons at the start of his career like Grobe had at Wake.

Vandy's winning six games. The only question is if they pull an upset and if they win their bowl game.

I myself said I wasn't that confident in the bet, but I took it on anyway out of the hope that winning it would show you how out of touch some of your opinions are.

And BTW BKF, did you notice Northwestern won 10 games last year, is ranked in the top 25 and makes a bowl basically every damn year under Fitzgerald?

Last edited:
Way to completely ignore my post :thumbsup:

When did this happen (I didn't listen to post game if it happened there)? In today's MTOW, this is what he said: "We’ve got to get that in the endzone,'' Coach Jim Grobe said afterward. "We’re not very good at it yet, but we’ve got to have a better mentality when we’re down there. That’s the coaches. That’s not the kids. We’ve just got to do the things we need to do down in the red zone, especially the short-yardage stuff where can’t get the yards we need.''

If that was the quote then that's better. I have not seen that in the various articles. It is totally on the coaches and that is still unacceptable. But that is not what I have seen.

But seriously then if Grobe is saying that they need to simplify the playbook for the offensive coordinator? Just let that settle in.

Back