• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe has lost my respect

What's this about about simplifying tha playbook? We have like 6 plays. Of course still takes us 25-30 seconds to get one called. Good thing we're no huddle...

Back in 2006, if a genie told you he'd give the Deacs an ACC championship and a trip to the Orange Bowl in exchange for the stretch of suckitude we are in now, would you take that?

Knowing we'd in the future, I would have. The OB was awesome and I'm a sucker for immediate gratification.

I was really excited about this season, with a lot of seniors and a pretty good defense. I figured if the O was just average, we'd have a good shot at 7 wins. I've been disappointed again I suppose

The B1G has 10 schools with more undergrads than LOWF has living alumni. We're in the ACC because it makes us lots of money. Turd, you were right on with your original post. The other 103 posts were screams in a phone both. PH, you should have been here in the Chuck Mills days. The sports world is filled with bad leadership starting with owners of pro teams. Try the Bidwells in Arizona, Sterling with the Clippers, Ford in Detroit. We are stuck because the Board of Trustees don't seem to care. Who knows what Hatch wants in an Athletic Dept. Is Wellman to Hatch, what Isaiah Thomas was to Jim Dolan (owner of the Knicks). A subordinate who was thought to do no wrong. We have very little say and no power in this mess. I waited 9 long months for this season, and last night seemed like the 4th game in a row at the end of last season.

Does Michigan always play the chicken dance after home wins? If so, I hope they don't win another game ever.

The way people around compare us to this group of schools constantly amaze me.

Endowment: Stanford 17 billion (#4 in the US), Duke 5.5 billion (#15), Vanderbilt 3.4 billion (#22), Northwestern 7.1 billion (#10), Notre Dame 6.3 billion (#13)

Wake $900 million

Enrollment: Stanford 7,063, Duke 6,484, Vanderbilt 6,796, Northwestern 8,000, Notre Dame 8,475.

Wake 4,775

Stanford .596 winning%, 1 National Championship, 14 Conf Champ., 24 bowl games

Duke .486 win%, 17 Conf Champ., 9 bowl games

Vanderbilt .498 win%, 14 Conf Champ, 6 bowl games

Northwestern .442 win%, 8 Conf Champ., 11 bowl games

Notre Dame .733 win%, 13 National Championships, 32 bowl games

Wake .411 win%, 2 Conf Champ., 10 bowl games

Where exactly do we compare to these schools? All of our academic standards are difficult. So I guess we should ask why Emory doesn't have a successful football team?

Endowment does not have anything to with cash flow and sports. Wake's has a significantly larger endowment than many public schools. We are in one of the top 5 conferences. We should be more competitive than we are.

Back in 2006, if a genie told you he'd give the Deacs an ACC championship and a trip to the Orange Bowl in exchange for the stretch of suckitude we are in now, would you take that?

Knowing we'd in the future, I would have. The OB was awesome and I'm a sucker for immediate gratification.

but thats not what happened. Players were brought together, made a team, groomed and blossomed. It started at the top with the OB but the program stayed competitive and at least fun to watch for a stretch of years, even with player turnover. Maybe it's just me but I would have rather continued to watch awful football all those years through than gotten a taste of something great and be wondering what happened.

Endowment shouldn't matter. Enrollment? Eh, maybe. It may have latent effects like the appetite of admissions for low performers, but I don't know.

Wake is unique in its challenges, and I agree it's hard to compare us to Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford. We are more like Duke and Rice, athletically, than those schools. But here's the kicker: we are demonstrably worse than all the schools I just mentioned.

Demonstratively worse in academics and athletics.

What's this about about simplifying tha playbook? We have like 6 plays. Of course still takes us 25-30 seconds to get one called. Good thing we're no huddle...

Glad I'm not the only one that feels like we only have a handful of plays. Not sure how we can simplify things further.

We did look confused much of the night. Such a terrible game.

We should not have to put it in that perspective. See our contemporaries Baylor, Northwerstern, Vandy. All changed coaches who brought a fresh approach, energy, and a "we can compete" attitude. They are fun to watch. That's all we're asking for. I love what Coach Grobe has done overall, but he's been too loyal to Lobo.

Emory is not in the ACC and Emory does not by $2.3M to their head football coach. And I don't expect us to be Stanford or Notre Dame, but we got rolled by BC. My complaint is focused completely on Lobo's ineptitude (which was on full display last night and what the analysts spent 60% of the game talking about) and Grobe's refusal to move in another direction.

No more complicated than this

I don't understand how the endowment keeps us from getting a better offensive coordinator. I'm sure after 10 years, Lobo makes good money.

Just seems to me as if everyone on these boards knew our OL would be a problem, and through 2 games we are getting absolutely no push in the run game, and not giving Tanner much free time in the pocket on passing plays. If your O-Line sucks, you're going to be bad on offense no matter what.

Has Grobe lost your respect because he can't put together a half decent OL?

Has Grobe lost your respect because he can't put together a half decent OL?

We've had a lot of good OL come through the program the past 10 years, do we have a stud there now in the Justice/Clabo/Vallos mold?

Back