• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe interviews for UAB Job

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Former Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe is scheduled to interview for the UAB head coaching position in Atlanta on Friday, a source told AL.com.

Grobe, 61, led Wake Forest to the ACC Championship in 2006 and Orange Bowl, but resigned after the 2013 season. Grobe went 77-82 in 13 seasons at Wake Forest and went 33-33-1 in six seasons at Ohio University prior to that.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/former_wake_forest_head_coach.html

A family member of mine was on the coaching staff there a few years ago. Absolutely horrible job and no support. The University of Alabama essentially controls the school and doesn't want to see the school get better and possibly rival Alabama.

"Possibly rival Alabama" is this real? It's UAB.

Wow. What a list of candidates!

The Blazers were set to interview Cincinnati offensive coordinator Eddie Gran and Bethune-Cookman head coach Brian Jenkins on Thursday. Atlanta Falcons tight ends coach Chris Scelfo is also on the scheduled interview list for Friday as well as Jacksonville State head coach Bill Clark.

Well, academics won't be of concern on the ol' recruiting trail.

I wonder if Grobe really wants to coach again or if he knows Lobo is screwed without him.

I thought he would wait for the UVa job to open up. Maybe LOBO is pushing him to take a job and hire him.

I wonder if Grobe really wants to coach again or if he knows Lobo is screwed without him.

What you talking about? Grobe will bring Lobo with him, part of the package...Bet he won't get no where close to the $2M plus he was holding Wake hostage for.

I'm wondering if Grobe is only looking for jobs to help out Lobo and the rest of his staff looking for work.

A family member of mine was on the coaching staff there a few years ago. Absolutely horrible job and no support. The University of Alabama essentially controls the school and doesn't want to see the school get better and possibly rival Alabama.

sounds perfect

This is sad. If he can't get hired at UAB, what does that say about our decision to wait so long to make a change?

This actually seems like a good fit for Grobe if he wants to keep coaching. Fairly small school/program, low expectations, in a part of the country he likes, near his new home in Georgia, etc. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get the job.

Wake played UAB at home maybe a dozen years ago. I assume it was just a one-off deal since I've never heard anything about another game.

I think UVa is unlikely to hire Grobe at his age. That ship has sailed.

UAB is doing just fine on sucking at football without any help from Tuscaloosa. It's largely a commuter school whose students already 1) don't care about football or 2) hold allegiances to either Alabama or Auburn. It would be the third wheel of college football in the state if that title didn't already belong to the substantially better program at Troy. It also doesn't help that they play their home games in a dump of stadium in a crappy part of the city well away from campus. Out of curiosity, do you blame UNC for UNC-G not being competitive with them basketball?

It really is a bad job. I lived in Birmingham shortly aftrer they started the program. The students are U Alabama fans. The UA med center is on the UAB campus. And Legion Field is a shithole.

Back