• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe interviews for UAB Job

My reading comprehension makes it seem like I played basketball for Carolina.

I saw a Kenny Beck tweet and assumed it recently happened.

Too bad for Grobe. Can't blame UAB for going with Clark though. Grobe had mentally checked out the last 3 or 4 years and was just going through the motions at Wake. He lost his drive and his fire. To have a chance to be even mediocre at a school like UAB the coach has to be on top of everything and hustle all the time. They couldn't risk taking a chance with a 60+ year old retread has been like Grobe on the hopes that he would get new enthusiasm with a change of scenery. It's humbling for us at Wake to think a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UAB doesn't want our old coach. Makes me even more thankful for Clawson and the enthusiam and hope he brings now.

Too bad for Grobe. Can't blame UAB for going with Clark though. Grobe had mentally checked out the last 3 or 4 years and was just going through the motions at Wake. He lost his drive and his fire. To have a chance to be even mediocre at a school like UAB the coach has to be on top of everything and hustle all the time. They couldn't risk taking a chance with a 60+ year old retread has been like Grobe on the hopes that he would get new enthusiasm with a change of scenery. It's humbling for us at Wake to think a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UAB doesn't want our old coach. Makes me even more thankful for Clawson and the enthusiam and hope he brings now.

Yeah. Seems like Grobe is going to break the trend of Wake's former FB coaches going on to success.

Maybe Grobe was insisting that he be allowed to bring Lobo on as OC? That alone would have been enough to kill his chances.

Grobe needs to cut Lobo loose if he wants to stand a chance at landing another HC gig.:thumbsup:

Grobe needs to cut Lobo loose if he wants to stand a chance at landing another HC gig.:thumbsup:

That'll go over well at family gatherings. "No Daddy, Steed still hasn't found work. We're making ends meet with his VA check, but he's holding out for management."

Grobe is probably working the back door at UVa, the way Groh did to George Welsh.

Don't think UVA will even consider him, to be honest

There are plenty of high schools that would love to have Grobe and Lobo package.

Grobe may not go on to future success because he gave the best years of his career to Wake...and found success here. He won an ACC Championship at Wake Forest. Some of you who are younger may not realize the depth and breadth of what an absolutely amazing accomplishment that was...2006 or not. I would also be very slow to question Jim Grobe's fire. Unless you were in the office, on the recruiting trail, in the film room, and on the practice field with him day in and day out, that assessment is pure conjecture. I do believe he suffered terribly due to his loyalty to his staff. But I will forever hold Jim Grobe in the highest esteem as a man and a coach.

Some of you who are younger may not realize the depth and breadth of what an absolutely amazing accomplishment that was...2006 or not.

Mix in a little condescension with that...

We get it. Wake sucked before Grobe. You don't have to be old to understand that.

Incidentally, Wake also sucked at the end of his tenure as well.

VaDeac,
No condescension, just truth. You proved the point in your post. Wake may not be in the best shape as a football program right now, but we are so much better than we were in the 60's and 70's. It's not even close.

VaDeac,
No condescension, just truth. You proved the point in your post. Wake may not be in the best shape as a football program right now, but we are so much better than we were in the 60's and 70's. It's not even close.

OMG, yes. The Wake teams of the last five years would kill the Wake teams during my years in school. I say this not in defense of Grobe. It's just that younger Deacs have no idea what it's like to be totally without hope, at least not in football.

We were never as bad during Grobe's tenure as some of the depths we saw pre-Grobe. The only season under Grobe comparable to the majority of seasons from the Peahead era until the Grobe era was the 2010 season. It was time for Grobe to go, we knew it and ultimately he knew it, but Wake Forest football is much better off for having Jim Grobe as coach.

VaDeac,

So I see from your BzOut diatribe that condescension is, in fact , your forte.

I was a student during Caldwell, Jack. Go lecture someone else.

Back