• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe interviews for UAB Job

The mantra at Vandy is "Anchor Down". For Grobe the last 5 years should be "LOBO Down". The failure to build an OL that could run block. The failure to use the TE as a target. Wasting Tom Bo as nothing but a personal pass protector. To having only Camp and Nikita calling people out at the end of '12. I've been wishing him luck for 13 years, why stop now, but I don't see him changing from what he has been doing the last 5 years.

I remember two road games during those years that will prove your point. Michigan in '88, they took us lightly but we had Mike Elkin and Ricky Proehl and lots of beef on both lines. Then FSU in '92, we were out classed just stepping on the field. Tamarak Vanover couldn't be caught and Wm "Bar None" Floyd couldn't be stopped. We made the Indy Bowl that year, but that was a senior laden team. Dooley was out the door and we had a new coach and another 5 year plan.

I remember the Michigan game very well, we lost 19-9 at the big house, but played them very tough. I also think that after the game against FSU in 1992 was when we went on the a 5 game win streak and ended the season 8-4 after beating Oregon in the Independence Bowl. I think the Independence Bowl was the bowl bid we lost when CrAPP State tied us that year too.

If I remember correctly it was Dooley who also tinkered with the helmet logo, going with just numbers on the helmets ala Alabama for a few seasons before finally settling on the "flying" WF logo that was pretty cool.:thumbsup:

We'll see what Clawson has in mind in the fall.

Actually Dooley kept the flying WF logo, but revised it a little bit and then in 1992 his last season, was when we went to the numbers on the helmets ala Alabama.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Click on "ACC" and scroll to the bottom and you'll see our helmets over the years.

Last edited:
I remember the Michigan game very well, we lost 19-9 at the big house, but played them very tough. I also think that after the game against FSU in 1992 was when we went on the a 5 game win streak and ended the season 8-4 after beating Oregon in the Independence Bowl. I think the Independence Bowl was the bowl bid we lost when CrAPP State tied us that year too.

I was at the Michigan game. And, in some additional context, Michigan had just lost an absolute heart breaker to Miami the week prior to us. Michigan did just what it had to do to beat us. You could tell they were simply going through the motions.

I remember going up to the gate and the kid there told me scalpers "were getting $100 a ticket" for the Miami game. I also remember coming out of there as red as a lobster from sun burn. Thank GOD for stubhub, these days.

What you talking about? Grobe will bring Lobo with him, part of the package...Bet he won't get no where close to the $2M plus he was holding Wake hostage for.

I would be surprised if any semi-competent AD allowed him to hire Lobo. You don't have to look very hard at Wake's stats for the last few years to come to the conclusion that we had a problem at OC.

I was at the Michigan game. And, in some additional context, Michigan had just lost an absolute heart breaker to Miami the week prior to us. Michigan did just what it had to do to beat us. You could tell they were simply going through the motions.

I remember watching this game - was my junior year. I believe we had 2 fumbles in the red zone that game - soooooo close.

Grobe may have gotten Lobo'ed. CBS' Bruce Feldman tweets that there is a lot of talk that South Alabama head coach may have emerged as a dark horse for the UAB job

It is not hard to understand why Coach Grobe would not get looks from any type of decent FBS-job. His team's performance the past several years has been terrible.

I think Coach Grobe is an amazing coach, and Wake is forever indebted to him for demonstrating that Wake can field consistently competitive football teams. And while dirk's point about age is well-made, Coach Grobe has not looked like the guy who wants to put in the extra time necessary to beat bigger-name programs. If he takes the UAB job, I will be shocked if the program does well. But I'll certainly be pulling for him.

I agree with all of this.

Because he didn't drag us through the same bullshit he's been selling for five year. We won't have to hear "I'm not blaming the players" and then go on to blame the players. Nor the famous " That was a real tough ULM team". Grobe releaved us of the slow painful decline of our football program. And he left at a time were we could get an excelent replacement.

Geez, didn't even know they had a football team. Known for some decent b-ball in the past.....talk about a step down for Grobe....(never thought I'd say that about an ex-WF coach).....:eek:

I wish him success. Sadly it did not end well for Grobe at Wake. I think about all of the things that happened to Wake from the ACCCG, OB, the stadiums upgrades, to the untimely passing of the hoops coach. The range was highest highs to lowest lows. Everyone wanted Grobe to recapture the glory. It just never materialized. He had an opportunity to blow out of there for a bigger program like Petrino, but decided to stay. The appealing part at places like Wake and Vanderbilt is that the administrations are very patient with the coaches. That does not always make the fans happy, but in the long run it pays dividends as successful young coaches are willing to try to build something knowing they will be given some time. Wake has hired a winner in David Clawson.

Vanderbilt just raided the cupboard of Ohio University's assistant coaches. Solich may be nearing retirement. If things do not go great for Grobe at UAB, then maybe he can return to the Bobcats where he had great success.

Hey Lec, since the old man is still looking, you got any openings at the junk yard? Surely you could use someone to walk around and kick dirt with a blank expression while you lose business.

Back