• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe interviews for UAB Job

We have talent. That's why JG is gone. He was squandering talented kids and was about to let guys like Tylor Harris fall through the cracks.

That's why I abandoned the old staff with my mid season mea culpa

Literally your last post before the one above.

Literally your last post before the one above.

I abandoned him because he would not change OC

I didn't abandon his record.

By far the most impressive record WF has ever had...throw Peahead in there too

You abandoned him because of his performance. He wasn't getting the job done. People doubt that he could get a new job done based on that.

And the idea that Lobo just became a problem midseason last year is ridiculous. Keep sticking to that.

I believe it was early 1980's. Dolphins vs. 49ers? I remember the Dolphins.

It was the '84 season. Roger Craig ran wild and it was Dan Marino's only shot at a ring. I went there in '93 and the old stadium was huge and look like it wasn't touch since the Jim Plunkett years. Cal's stadium was in as bad of shapeAND it was built on a fault line. I went there in '10 and the seat I had was a 2X8with a split in it, extremely uncomfortable and it was Keenan Allens first game.

It was the '84 season. Roger Craig ran wild and it was Dan Marino's only shot at a ring. I went there in '93 and the old stadium was huge and look like it wasn't touch since the Jim Plunkett years. Cal's stadium was in as bad of shapeAND it was built on a fault line. I went there in '10 and the seat I had was a 2X8with a split in it, extremely uncomfortable and it was Keenan Allens first game.

Cal Stadium has been renovated. Pretty cool video which shows big huge shock absorbers that have been added in case of an earthquake.

The medical school in Birmingham is the University of Alabama School of Medicine. The hospital has UAB in it's name but the school doesn't. The undergraduate buildings are directly adjacent to all of the hospital area with the medical school building directly between the two.

It may be the medical school for the University of Alabama system (UofA, UAB, UAH), but it is known as the UAB School of Medicine not the UA School of Medicine. I've got friends who got their M.D. there and I've never heard it referred to as the UA School of Medicine until this thread. http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/

It may be the medical school for the University of Alabama system (UofA, UAB, UAH), but it is known as the UAB School of Medicine not the UA School of Medicine. I've got friends who got their M.D. there and I've never heard it referred to as the UA School of Medicine until this thread. http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/

UASOM is the name of the school. I'm 100% positive of this. The main teaching hospital is called UAB Hospital. All of the residency and fellowship programs are UAB. The medical school may be referred to and thought of as UAB, but the actual name is University of Alabama School of Medicine. I wish you were correct because as a lifelong Auburn fan it bothers me greatly to have a degree from anything that says "University of Alabama"!

They played some games at AT&T Park. The Stadium (in '10) had large murals of games in the '20s with everyone wearing raccoon coats. I hope to get out there for the Oregon game at Levi Stadium and then Stanford-Oregon St the next day. Catch an NFL game on sunday, then head back east.

I am surprised that Grobe wants this job. Obviously, if he takes it, he still wants to coach. Hope the best for him, but UAB is a coaching graveyard. UAB has had 3 coaches since it became an FBS program (Watson Brown, Neil Callaway and Garrick McGee). All had a losing record at UAB (UAB has not had winning season since 2004). None have worked as an FBS head coach after taking the UAB job; coaches leave UAB to become an FBS assistant or FCS head coach. So, this is a job where coaching careers die.

I will root for Grobe to shock the world at UAB, but I fear a bad ending. The animosity toward Grobe expressed here bums me out. IMO, the good that Grobe achieved at WF massively outweighed the bad as the 3 NFL coaches (Mackovic, Groh and Caldwell) and 1 very well-respected college coach (Dooley) that preceded Grobe did not come close to matching Grobe's record at WF.

I will be 100% behind current board darling Coach Clawson, but will be very interested to compare his coaching record at WF to Grobe when all is said and done. BTW, can't we all hope for both Grobe and Clawson to succeed?

Last edited:
I am surprised that Grobe wants this job. Obviously, if he takes it, he still wants to coach. Hope the best for him, but UAB is a coaching graveyard. UAb has had 3 coaches since it became an FBS program (Watson Brown, Neil Callaway and Garrick McGee). All had a losing record at UAB (UAB has not had winning record since 2004). None have worked as an FBS coach after taking the UAB job. So, this is a job where coaching careers die.

I will root for Grobe to shock the world at UAB, but I fear a bad ending. The animosity toward Grobe expressed here bums me out. IMO, the good that Grobe massively outweighed the bad as the 3 NFL coaches (Mackovic, Groh and Caldwell) and 1 very well-respected college coach (Dooley) that preceded Grobe did not come close to matching Grobe's record.

I will be 100% behind current board darling Coach Clawson, but will be very interested to compare his coaching record at WF to Grobe when all is said and done. BTW, can't we all hope for both Grobe and Clawson to succeed?

Dooley doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. If they had all the bowls and bowl tie ins that we have now when he was coaching, he would've led us to 3 bowl games out of his 6 years as coach. We went 7-4 and 6-4-1 his first 2 seasons, with no bowl invites. We would've gotten one in his second year if we had not tied CrApp State the last game.

I like Bill Dooley, but there are a few things to remember about his time at WF. For 5 of his 6 years at WF, FSU was not in the conference. Also, there was no FCS division (so, in 1987 WF played OOC games against Richmond, App and Army; in 1988, WF played OOC games against Villanova, Illinois State and App). So, WF's schedule was really weak.

In Dooley's first two years at WF (1987 and 1988), WF went 7-4 and 6-4-1, but those 13 wins came against:

- Duke 2
- Richmond
- App 1 win and 1 tie
- Villanova
- Illinois State
- Army
- UNC 2 (the end of the "Dick Crum" era)
- GT 2
- MD
- State

WF played only two ranked teams each year, and WF played no one ranked higher than 14. If you think the ACC sucks now, it sucked even more then. Each year, the ACC had only one ranked team: UVA in 1987; Clemson in 1988.

After the 1988 season, when Al Groh's recruits were largely gone, Dooley's next 3 seasons were awful (2-19 in the ACC; yes, 2-19, when the ACC did not have FSU, VT or Miami; OOC wins over Tulsa, App State, Vandy, Army, Western Carolina, Navy). Those were 3 very dark years (worse than any season Grobe had). Dooley's last year, 1992, was a special year (Indy Bowl win over Oregon; breaking a long losing streak to Clemson), but Dooley left WF with a bare cupboard as WF went 2-22 in the ACC over the next 3 seasons. Always liked Bill Dooley, but he managed three slightly better than mediocre seasons in 6 years as WF's coach when WF's schedule sucked, and his other three years at WF were flat-out awful.

Last edited:
I like Bill Dooley, but there are a few things to remember about his time at WF. For 5 of his 6 years at WF, FSU was not in the conference. Also, there was no FCS division (so, in 1987 WF played OOC games against Richmond, App and Army; in 1988, WF played OOC games against Villanova, Illinois State and App). So, WF's schedule was really weak.

In Dooley's first two years at WF (1987 and 1988), WF went 7-4 and 6-4-1, but those 13 wins came against:

- Duke 2
- Richmond
- App 1 win and 1 tie
- Villanova
- Illinois State
- Army
- GT 2
- MD
- State

WF played only two ranked teams each year, and WF played no one ranked higher than 14. If you think the ACC sucks now, it sucked even more then. Each year, the ACC had only one ranked team: UVA in 1987; Clemson in 1988.

After the 1988 season, when Al Groh's recruits were largely gone, Dooley's next 3 seasons were awful (2-19 in the ACC; yes, 2-19, when the ACC did not have FSU, VT or Miami; OOC wins over Tulsa, App State, Vandy, Army, Western Carolina, Navy). Those were 3 very dark years (worse than any season Grobe had). Dooley's last year, 1992, was a special year (Indy Bowl win over Oregon; breaking a long losing streak to Clemson), but Dooley left WF with a bare cupboard as WF went 2-22 in the ACC over the next 3 seasons. Always liked Bill Dooley, but he managed three slightly better than mediocre seasons in 6 years as WF's coach when WF's schedule sucked, and his other three years at WF were flat-out awful.

Those Duke wins were against Steve Spurrier coached Duke teams.

UASOM is the name of the school. I'm 100% positive of this. The main teaching hospital is called UAB Hospital. All of the residency and fellowship programs are UAB. The medical school may be referred to and thought of as UAB, but the actual name is University of Alabama School of Medicine. I wish you were correct because as a lifelong Auburn fan it bothers me greatly to have a degree from anything that says "University of Alabama"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_School_of_Medicine

Dooley doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. If they had all the bowls and bowl tie ins that we have now when he was coaching, he would've led us to 3 bowl games out of his 6 years as coach. We went 7-4 and 6-4-1 his first 2 seasons, with no bowl invites. We would've gotten one in his second year if we had not tied CrApp State the last game.

Actually we didn't tie them, they tied us. With a chance to go for 2 and the win (no OT in those days), App decided to take the tie. I remember their coach saying afterward "we fought too hard to risk leaving with a loss". Back then a bowl bid was a big deal for most teams not named Alabama (historically bad WFU football and a lot less bowls and few automatic tie-ins), so it was a crushing "loss" (tie). Supposedly the bowl rep (can't remember which one) who was there to give us the bid was standing just beyond the end zone when App scored, and was visibly pissed when they sent the kicking team out; he was half-way out the gate to the parking lot when the extra point kick split the uprights. I've always wondered if App would have gone for 2 and the win if they didn't know a tie would end our season.

- Duke 2
- Richmond
- App 1 win and 1 tie
- Villanova
- Illinois State
- Army
- GT 2
- MD
- State

I remember two road games during those years that will prove your point. Michigan in '88, they took us lightly but we had Mike Elkin and Ricky Proehl and lots of beef on both lines. Then FSU in '92, we were out classed just stepping on the field. Tamarak Vanover couldn't be caught and Wm "Bar None" Floyd couldn't be stopped. We made the Indy Bowl that year, but that was a senior laden team. Dooley was out the door and we had a new coach and another 5 year plan.

If I remember correctly it was Dooley who also tinkered with the helmet logo, going with just numbers on the helmets ala Alabama for a few seasons before finally settling on the "flying" WF logo that was pretty cool.:thumbsup:

We'll see what Clawson has in mind in the fall.

It is not hard to understand why Coach Grobe would not get looks from any type of decent FBS-job. His team's performance the past several years has been terrible.

I think Coach Grobe is an amazing coach, and Wake is forever indebted to him for demonstrating that Wake can field consistently competitive football teams. And while dirk's point about age is well-made, Coach Grobe has not looked like the guy who wants to put in the extra time necessary to beat bigger-name programs. If he takes the UAB job, I will be shocked if the program does well. But I'll certainly be pulling for him.

Back