• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe needs 3 wins to avoid being the only coach with 5 straight losing seasons

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
11/22/13 update:
Grobe is the only coach in FBS with five straight losing seasons.

11/9/13 update:
With Duke's win over state to get to 7 wins and EMU's firing of Ron English, Jim Grobe needs to win both remaining games against Duke and Vandy, get into a bowl game, and win that bowl game to avoid being the only head coach with 5 straight losing seasons at the same school.

See the original post from before the season below:

Wake Forest, Duke, and Eastern Michigan are the only FBS schools returning a head football coach who hasn't posted a winning record in the last 4 seasons.

In total, 19 schools are coming off 4 straight seasons without a winning record. All except for Wake, Duke, and Eastern Michigan have hired a new coach. Most replaced their coach after 3 straight seasons without a winning record.

Only 5 other BCS schools are coming off 4 seasons without a winning record (by their conference in 2009):

Big XII – Kansas, Colorado
Big Ten – Indiana, Minnesota
Pac-10 – Washington State

Not a single SEC or Big East/AAC team is coming off of 4 straight seasons without a winning record.

Here is the list of other programs, their current coaches, and when they were hired:
Akron - Terry Bowden hired for 2012 season
New Mexico - Bob Davie hired for 2012 season
Memphis - Justin Fuentes hired for 2012 season
New Mexico State - Doug Martin hired for 2013 season
Washington State - Mike Leach hired for 2012 season
UNLV - Bobby Hauck hired for 2010 season
Tulane - Curtis Johnson hired for 2012 season
Kansas - Charlie Weis hired for 2012 season
Colorado - Mike MacIntyre hired for 2013 season
FAU - Carl Pelini hired for 2012 season
Colorado State - Jim McElwain hired for 2012 season
Indiana - Kevin wilson hired for 2011 season
Buffalo - Jeff Quinn hired for 2010 season (replaced Turner Gill who left for Kansas)
UAB - Garrick McGee hired for 2012 season
Minnesota - Jerry Kill hired for 2011 season
UTEP - Sean Kruger hired for 2012 season

As always, any corrections or recommendations are appreciated.

Last edited:
To somewhat justify that (LOWF syndrome I guess), both WFU and Duke have had a bowl game within the last four seasons. Not sure about EMU off the top of my head

Interesting research though.

ETA: I also suspect that Grobe is the highest paid of those three?

To somewhat justify that (LOWF syndrome I guess), both WFU and Duke have had a bowl game within the last four seasons. Not sure about EMU off the top of my head

Interesting research though.

All three had a 6-6 season in there. Wake and Duke lost bowl games. EMU was not bowl eligible due to 2 FCS wins.

Regardless, 101 programs have won 7 or more games at least once over the last 4 years. Wake is one of the 19 who haven't.

who is the highest paid coach? Don't even bother to research it. You know the answer

Our two "money making" programs haven't won anything in 3 years and continue to employ the same staffs.

Good research Ph. I'm pretty surprised by how few programs fit the criterion. Grobe's past accomplishments do buy him more slack, but we also know a lack of accountability is a problem in our AD.

Duke is certainly understandable since they made it to a bowl game last year for the first time since 1994, despite not having a winning record.

Duke is certainly understandable since they made it to a bowl game last year for the first time since 1994, despite not having a winning record.

EMU's 6 wins in 2011 was their best season in almost 50 years.

and yet both Cutt and Grobe are considered exceptional coaches.

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

The flaw in that is that Grobe has actually had success, [Redacted] hasn't. I also think Bilas probably has changed his tune upon further reflection.

Our two "money making" programs haven't won anything in 3 years and continue to employ the same staffs.

You cannot even put Grobe in the same seat as Buzz for what Grobe has done for this University.

Last edited:
PhDeac likes winning athletic programs.

I'm sure you've said this before, but I'm curious as to what your realistic expectations are for our football program (not this year...just in general).

You cannot even put Grobe in the same sit as Buzz for what Grobe has done for this University.

Totally agree. Although its been some years ago, Grobe won an ACC Championship and has taken his team to bowl games. By contrast, Buzz has single handedly destroyed the basketball program.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure you've said this before, but I'm curious as to what your realistic expectations are for our football program (not this year...just in general).

I've answered this question so many times that I don't know if people who ask are just trolling or not. I'm not going to fall for this trap again except to say having the 90th best record over a 4 year stretch and not doing what 101 other programs did should be below everyone's expectations.

Back