• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe needs 3 wins to avoid being the only coach with 5 straight losing seasons

Also, maybe our depth would be better if we didn't doghouse half a dozen guys every year.

Also, maybe our depth would be better if we didn't doghouse half a dozen guys every year.

But what's putting those guys in the doghouse? Seems like it usually has to do with them not playing through injuries like the coaches expect or discipline issues that every team deals with.

That's not to say the coaches never misuse or fail to use the talent that is on the field. We had a tight end a few years ago (whose names is slipping my mind) that definitely should have been a much bigger part of the offense.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take the blame off the coaches for our November failures. I just think its their recruiting resulting in depth issues that deserves most of the blame for those collapses.

But what's putting those guys in the doghouse? Seems like it usually has to do with them not playing through injuries like the coaches expect or discipline issues that every team deals with.

That's not to say the coaches never misuse or fail to use the talent that is on the field. We had a tight end a few years ago (whose names is slipping my mind) that definitely should have been a much bigger part of the offense.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take the blame off the coaches for our November failures. I just think its their recruiting resulting in depth issues that deserves most of the blame for those collapses.

Speaking of misusing players: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15973/tommy-bohanon

I think Tommy is the guy I was thinking of. Seems like Grobe himself said they did not use him properly.

This year we burned as many red-shirts as we ever did because of depth. Grobe said so at the beginning of the year. The problem seems to be with Grobe blaming the player, and the players tuning him out. An offensive game plan that is a total failure and a defense that can't make up for such a suck-ass offense. Duffie and Galloway found an exit strategy for themselves. I wonder if Himey is thinking that he should have stayed with Trestman and gone to Chicago.

It's also not just depth but quality depth. After Camp went down, we all pretty much new the season was over because the rest of our receiving corps cannot be relied on to catch a football. It's one thing to expect some drop off when a talent like Camp goes down, but we not only failed to have an adequate replacement we failed to even have a competent one.

Trying to run an option offense with Tanner Price was a big mistake. If we had ran the offense we used against State then we most likely win versus ULM and BC. But if we did that, there's a decent possibility that Camp gets hurt even earlier in the season.

We had pretty good depth in 2006. I don't think that's the case most years for us. Also most of those injuries occurred on offense and the defense and kicker was the key to that team's success.

You mean the year the had to play a WR at RB? That's not depth.

We just had better players.

And yes, the stated reason for burning shirts was to improve late season depth. Hasn't worked but nobody will call Grobe out on it.

I think I've been calling Grobe out on it. We don't have quality depth. That's been my whole point. This is a recruiting issue.

Sorry I mean publicly or at risk of his job.

This thread has the twenty people on the planet who care about wake forest football in it. We're not buying out someone for millions to appease twenty.

Sadly you're kind of right. I fear more people care that Wake has a football team than care that Wake has a good football team.

I just do not recall a single person at my time at Wake that was even a wake football fan. Barely remember any groupies either, the baseball dudes got all the girls.

Back