• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe needs 3 wins to avoid being the only coach with 5 straight losing seasons

The FSU game at home on Senior Day with a bowl on the line was a stinker as well. Don't care enough to look up the score, but I was there and felt like I wasted a very early morning four-hour drive.

And if my aunt had balls yada yada yafa

We were completely uninspired in that game. Unbelievably so. It was there for the taking.

I'd be curious to know our record over the past 4 years when bowl eligibility was at stake. Nothing like shitting the bed when it matters as per the Wake credo.

I posted it awhile back. Did our record with 4 wins as well. It's a pathetic as you'd expect.

Grobe at the start with Caldwell's players wasnt' bad... We were bowl eligible both years and close in almost every game the next two years. I'd take Grobe of yr 1 and 2 on a regular basis.

Now we traditionally lose out in the month of November. While dook improves during the course of the season.

Maybe the classes get harder on tuesdays in November approaching finals and Grobe gives them that day off so we're not prepared come saturday kick-off?!:confused:

The Grobe effect: I saw this and thought it summarized the Great Coach " Keep it Close" Grobe dilemma and the fruits of a stubborn indifferent unwillingness to make hard decisions on instituting change that have ruined our program. Grobe has to be laughing at us. Personally, I am sure it is way too late for Grobe to anything not that he wants to. Grobe has said it rests with him and does/did nothing unless blaming his players counts. Substitute Grobe for Muschamp and Enjoy:

Florida head coach Will Muschamp, assessing his team's offensive woes, said Monday that the first thing he would do is look at himself. And he's exactly right. The problem is that Muschamp is three years late. There's a difference between a) hiring an offensive coordinator and staying out of his way and b) establishing an offensive philosophy, then finding the right coordinator to execute it. Muschamp's offenses have looked like square pegs in round holes under both Charlie Weis (2011) and Brent Pease (2012-13). I don't think Muschamp can turn the offense around in one season, but he can do a better job of figuring out what he wants and get the Gators moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Didn't want to start a new thread but saw in the paper that JMU fired its football coach this week. He spent 15 years there, won a FCS Championship, was an AFCA Coach of the Year, beat a ranked FBS school (VT), but failed to make the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Didn't want to start a new thread but saw in the paper that JMU fired its football coach this week. He spent 15 years there, won a FCS Championship, was an AFCA Coach of the Year, beat a ranked FBS school (VT), but failed to make the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Do not believe the new culture will allow the same to happen @ Wake..."Oh My Goodness"

Now we traditionally lose out in the month of November. While dook improves during the course of the season.

Maybe the classes get harder on tuesdays in November approaching finals and Grobe gives them that day off so we're not prepared come saturday kick-off?!:confused:

Seems pretty obvious that our team performs poorly in November because we do not have the depth to sustain the injuries we incur as the season goes along. That's a recruiting issue in my opinion, but you can also attribute it to conditioning, player development and the redshirt policy.

I think lack of effort and focus and players tuning out the coaching staff deserves strong consideration as well.

I think lack of effort and focus and players tuning out the coaching staff deserves strong consideration as well.

I wouldn't rule that out on an individual player by player basis, but do you think that's widespread enough every year to make that big difference in football? Basketball one or two key players doing that can torpedo your season quickly, but football seems like a different animal.

Our best season had several injuries yet we won in November. We've had relatively injury free season in which we lost in November.

Depth issues show up in more places than just injuries. Players can wear down by the end of the season.

The Grobe effect: I saw this and thought it summarized the Great Coach " Keep it Close" Grobe dilemma and the fruits of a stubborn indifferent unwillingness to make hard decisions on instituting change that have ruined our program. Grobe has to be laughing at us. Personally, I am sure it is way too late for Grobe to anything not that he wants to. Grobe has said it rests with him and does/did nothing unless blaming his players counts. Substitute Grobe for Muschamp and Enjoy:

Florida head coach Will Muschamp, assessing his team's offensive woes, said Monday that the first thing he would do is look at himself. And he's exactly right. The problem is that Muschamp is three years late. There's a difference between a) hiring an offensive coordinator and staying out of his way and b) establishing an offensive philosophy, then finding the right coordinator to execute it. Muschamp's offenses have looked like square pegs in round holes under both Charlie Weis (2011) and Brent Pease (2012-13). I don't think Muschamp can turn the offense around in one season, but he can do a better job of figuring out what he wants and get the Gators moving in the right direction.

IF Florida fires Pease, we should hire him as our HC instantly.

We had pretty good depth in 2006. I don't think that's the case most years for us. Also most of those injuries occurred on offense and the defense and kicker was the key to that team's success.

I wouldn't rule that out on an individual player by player basis, but do you think that's widespread enough every year to make that big difference in football? Basketball one or two key players doing that can torpedo your season quickly, but football seems like a different animal.
Not sure. Maybe a leadership void.

Back