• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe needs 3 wins to avoid being the only coach with 5 straight losing seasons

Wellman getting fired as Wake's AD is a pipe dream. And he doesn't seem to be much for interim tags.

Would love it if Wellman started quietly making calls to get Lobo a head coaching job somewhere at a lesser program. I don't see Grobe firing him.

Be ironic if Lobo would get a job @ a lesser program then ends up coach of the year...

Lobo's only shot as a HC outside of Wake would have to be at the FCS level. Panthers is right. It really is pathetic that with his track record as an OC that we talk about him being our HC as a distinct possibility. Logically, it is absolutely absurd, but at Wake, logic is distorted.

Lobo couldn't catch on as a water boy anywhere but Wake. That's why he may be our head coach.

Lobo couldn't catch on as a water boy anywhere but Wake. That's why he may be our head coach.

He's already been considered for head coaching positions. If I recall, more than one went as far as interviews and making the final few candidates.

He's already been considered for head coaching positions. If I recall, more than one went as far as interviews and making the final few candidates.

Yet notice where he still is.

That was back when we were winning or at least competitive. Doubt he has had many looks since 2010.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

And his offensive numbers keep getting worse and worse each season. I would be willing to bet that his stock has diminished dramatically the last couple of seasons. Grobe was getting job offers 3-4 seasons ago as well. Now ... not so much.

Headed toward two straight seasons under 20 ppg.

Why would anybody let Lobo near a football field?

Or listen to Wellan's vote of confidence if he were to start making calls to help him out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Can you imagine being the fan of a team/school that hired Lobo as a HC? First, you would probably say "why are we hiring a coach from Wake Forest?" Then you would do some research and be completely incredulous at just how bad his offenses have been. At this point, I would think that there are at least a hundred other asst coaches in the country that would present themselves as being more qualified than Lobo. Hell, there are probably at least a hundred asst coaches that are more qualified to be an OC than Lobo.

Can you imagine being the fan of a team/school that hired Lobo as a HC? First, you would probably say "why are we hiring a coach from Wake Forest?" Then you would do some research and be completely incredulous at just how bad his offenses have been. At this point, I would think that there are at least a hundred other asst coaches in the country that would present themselves as being more qualified than Lobo. Hell, there are probably at least a hundred asst coaches that are more qualified to be an OC than Lobo.

I can imagine very well. We got buzz.

Three years left on I believe a 10 year deal...IMO, bad business decision to offer a 10 year deal without an escape clause for sub par performance. This all falls in Wellman's lap...

The loudest critics of the 10 yr deal would likely have been the first ones pissing and moaning and shouting "LOWF!" if Wake lost Grobe during its most successful football run in program history by not paying market or only committing to a short term deal.

Although I'm sure those with perfect hindsight will disagree as they predicted everything to play out just as it has since 2007...

I can imagine very well. We got buzz.

LOL. We know. We know all too well.

A TV job requires Jim to talk on game day.

This would be a good comedy skit: Play-by-play man introduces Grobe. Silence. Grobe purses his lips, looks just above camera wistfully. PbP man describes a play, asks Grobe a question. Silence. Repeat. Halftime highlights and commentary: Grobe suddenly kneels and picks at the carpet. Postgame: Grobe finally speaks much to the relief of the PbP man - one sentence where he blames the losing teams' players for "not executing." Then more silence. Frustrated, the PbP man walks off the set. Gofer brings Grobe his fat paycheck. Fade to black.

First time I remember Angus agreeing with anything I've posted.

First time I remember Angus agreeing with anything I've posted.

The difference is Riley. The QB who won 33 of Grobes 77 games at Wake. He's a 63.5% coach with him, a 41.1% without.

The difference is Riley. The QB who won 33 of Grobes 77 games at Wake. He's a 63.5% coach with him, a 41.1% without.

Or it might be the Fresh Deacs. Take away their freshman season and that's three of Riley's four years. Riley without the Fresh Deacs went 5-7.

Can't find it now but I did a break down of it awhile back. It was a magical period of 2.5 years or so that spanned Abbate to Skinner/Russell that ended almost 9 years ago.

Last edited:
That '09 team lost 4 games by 3 pts and another by 1. Yeah, they were 5-7, but Clemson was the only game (3-38) that they had no chance.

That '09 team lost 4 games by 3 pts and another by 1. Yeah, they were 5-7, but Clemson was the only game (3-38) that they had no chance.

The FSU game at home on Senior Day with a bowl on the line was a stinker as well. Don't care enough to look up the score, but I was there and felt like I wasted a very early morning four-hour drive.

And if my aunt had balls yada yada yafa

Back