• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe or Clawson, who ya got?

Clawson is a highly competitive guy who will leave for the right opportunity at a larger Power 5 school that gives him an easier recruiting base ( lower academic standards --likely a state school) and allows him the chance to compete for a national championship. However, it will take more than 6-6 or 7-5 type years to get that kind of offer. He'll need to string together pre bowl 9-3, 8-4 type years-- if he does ,we'll likely know that he will move on, and be happy for him. The kids still in school thing is overblown-- coaches and their wives know they will likely move around in that profession.

Not true of Coach Clawson. He suffers no fools and likes the academic schools with a tough regimen and rules that are followed. I don't believe he will leave unless it is for a job unless it is at a place like Michigan, Stanford or Notre Dame. As long as we take care of him with the money and take care of his assistants, we could possibly keep him for a long time. He has family in the area [sister in Charlotte] and we are doing well. He & his staff all work hard. I love the job they are all doing.

Not true of Coach Clawson. He suffers no fools and likes the academic schools with a tough regimen and rules that are followed. I don't believe he will leave unless it is for a job unless it is at a place like Michigan, Stanford or Notre Dame. As long as we take care of him with the money and take care of his assistants, we could possibly keep him for a long time. He has family in the area [sister in Charlotte] and we are doing well. He & his staff all work hard. I love the job they are all doing.
Lol. He's a great coach for Wake but Michigan and Notre Dame are not going to ring his phone. He's doing great things for Wake but let's not get carried away.

The thing folks seems to be missing is that Grobe’s first five seasons weren’t great at all, especially after the first two. Closeness has surpassed that. He may never match year 6 though.

The thing folks seems to be missing is that Grobe’s first five seasons weren’t great at all, especially after the first two. Closeness has surpassed that. He may never match year 6 though.

Nor do they remember that he went 25-38 over his last five years at Wake.

Agree with this -- I was implying an upper end larger Power 5 school like say a PennState-- not Ole Miss or Arkansas. And we will all be very happy if this type school comes calling. The point about taking care of long term assistants is valid- I would think that would be very important to Clawson.

Nor do they remember that he went 25-38 over his last five years at Wake.

I think people remember. I'm actually pleasantly surprised so many people are picking Clawson, even accounting for recency bias

Best 5 years Grobe. Have to give credit for the OB and ACC Champs.

DC has had 5, years but I suspect that with each year even without a championship, he'll push grobe. His lows won't be as low going forward. (Grobe was upswing and then drop).

But as someone said. We need a Deberry or George Welsh to really set us up and break the "image" of our football program.

And if you're saying you had both in prime, who do you hire today. DC.

Grobe had higher Highs, but I think if anybody did an honest assessment of which coach had the tools to be better positioned for future sustain success, it would be Clawson.

Grobe had some cheesy colloquialisms that the OWGs on the old boards loved: blowing snot bubbles, play like your hair's on fire, knotheads, etc.

Agree with this -- I was implying an upper end larger Power 5 school like say a PennState-- not Ole Miss or Arkansas. And we will all be very happy if this type school comes calling. The point about taking care of long term assistants is valid- I would think that would be very important to Clawson.

He doesn’t have a ton of assistants following him around job to job. His staff when he started we’re all new outside of coordinators and maybe Hunter IIRC.

There are a handful of upper echelon football programs at schools with excellent academics. Clawson might be tempted by one of them, particularly if he feels that he has reached a plateau at Wake.

Having re$ource$ for assistant coaches and analysts will be important going forward.

Who knows? Clawson's goal may be to establish an upper echelon football program at a school with excellent academics. Some people prefer a road less traveled.

Ah, the usual "he'll never leave us because Wake is too perfect for him and if you disagree you just don't understand him" thread. Interesting to me how so many Wake fans just cannot be objective about this situation.

Very unlikely that Clawson finishes his career at WF. He's been great for us and I have no problem with any coach who moves on to bigger opportunities after doing well by MSD.

Wake Forest is among the best jobs in college football. Make $2 million a year and win 6 or 7 games a year with minimal bitching from the fans. It doesn't get any better.

Wake Forest is among the best jobs in college football. Make $2 million a year and win 6 or 7 games a year with minimal bitching from the fans. It doesn't get any better.

It gets millions of dollars better.

Wake Forest can pay 8.3% less than Stanford and it be an equal take home pay (California state income tax versus NC) -- Vandy not so much -- Tennessee tax rate 0% on income (more on stocks/bonds)

You can't compare Wake and Stanford in football. Plus, they pay massively more than we ever will. I think Shaw makes something like $6M.

Next challenge for Clawson at Wake is to get Wake good enough to be solid second behind Clemson and then start pushing Clemson for the Division title. Those challenges might not be doable enough to keep him at Wake if teams like Stanford or Notre Dame have HC opportunities.

Back