• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Colorado State?

Old ground already churned KV. Grobe got the big contract, assistant salary bumps, FieldTurf practice field, MAJOR makeover of the stadium, Deacon Tower for starters. And starting in 2008 thru 2012 Wake - like everyplace in this country - suffered under the worst recession in 75 years. This point via Grobe is nonsense and he knows it.

Grobe was promised a few more exceptions and more academic support that would allow him to recruit and retain kids who are at higher risk of struggling academically at Wake.

He never got it, and I fully believe that killed us more than anything.

Who are some of the kids who left Wake due to academics who ended up being productive elsewhere?

Grobe was promised a few more exceptions and more academic support that would allow him to recruit and retain kids who are at higher risk of struggling academically at Wake.

Link?

Also, he won without those exceptions previously. To say he needed them to win is ridiculous.

As for going forward, the AD has already committed to vast improvements for the new coaches in the form of the new indoor practice facility and athletic offices.

Just to clarify, there is no actual news concerning Grobe to CSU, right?

Link?

Also, he won without those exceptions previously. To say he needed them to win is ridiculous.

As for going forward, the AD has already committed to vast improvements for the new coaches in the form of the new indoor practice facility and athletic offices.

No link. Just knowledge. I think his recruiting failures and the number of kids who didn't work out for whatever reason are proof that he didn't get the support needed to sustain a successful program.

In no way do I think that Grobe should have been retained. His loyalty to an incompetent OC, among other things, were more than enough reason to end the Grobe-WFU relationship. His lack of enthusiasm for the program the last 2 years weren't justified, because he was being paid a lot of money to be enthusiastic, but like basketball, the behind the scenes administrative shenanigans are enough to suck the life out of any human.

No link. Just knowledge. I think his recruiting failures and the number of kids who didn't work out for whatever reason are proof that he didn't get the support needed to sustain a successful program.

In no way do I think that Grobe should have been retained. His loyalty to an incompetent OC, among other things, were more than enough reason to end the Grobe-WFU relationship. His lack of enthusiasm for the program the last 2 years weren't justified, because he was being paid a lot of money to be enthusiastic, but like basketball, the behind the scenes administrative shenanigans are enough to suck the life out of any human.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...licited-testimonial-for-embattled-ad-wellman/

I believe you, but Grobe didn't have to express his love for Wellman after the State win.

Link?

Grobe and Wake caught lightning in a bottle for a few years. To sustain that, he needed some more leeway on the admit side and more support to keep some of his players eligible. We will never know what players that might have wanted to come to Wake were never invited because their grades/test scores didn't meet Wake standards. That hurt two ways: 1, players who might have been contributors never had the opportunity to do so at Wake; 2, the coaching staff put time and effort into recruiting these players, getting nothing, thus having less time to find other players who met Wake's standards.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...licited-testimonial-for-embattled-ad-wellman/

I believe you, but Grobe didn't have to express his love for Wellman after the State win.

Damn all we needed were a few no-show classes!

Also that "paper" linked is complete shit. The sports writer is a complete asshat. I hate linking to it. He blames wake fans for our poor play because we didn't give [Redacted] a chance

They had/have a good relationship, and Grobe would never air his dirty laundry in the media (or in public). He's not that kind of man. Just because he likes Wellman doesn't mean he likes how he operates the athletic dept.

This also occurred after the game where the flyover was supposed to take place. The AD knew about it.

So when he didn't get them, he decided he was going to stop recruiting?

Sounds less like a gentleman and more like a toddler throwing a tantrum. While collecteing a 2.5 million paycheck.

How do the athlete academic requirements at Wake compare to those at Duke? Cutcliffe has been bringing in solid recruits and competing well in the ACC the past few years.

How do the athlete academic requirements at Wake compare to those at Duke? Cutcliffe has been bringing in solid recruits and competing well in the ACC the past few years.

I'm not sure of admission requirements, but I would assume they are similar to Wake's. They have online classes through NC Central that the basketball players use, though. I assume the football players are all over those as well. Wake does not allow this, of course.

Ask anyone who has coached any sport (but especially football, basketball, and baseball) at Wake Forest and they will tell you that our AD operates as if we have been sanctioned. Self-imposed sanctions.

The dook student-athlete philosophy is a myth perpetuated by the media. They aren't nearly as strict as Wake. Not even close.

So when he didn't get them, he decided he was going to stop recruiting?

Sounds less like a gentleman and more like a toddler throwing a tantrum. While collecteing a 2.5 million paycheck.

Agree. I also think he became exhausted. Fighting Goliath and your AD each and every day is no fun.

Back