• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Group contemplating challenge to UNC Affirmative Action

if you can't get into UNC and you live in the state of NC you are an idiot. Some of the dumbest kids I went to school with got in. Its not because you are a white dude, its because you are dumb.

The dumbest people I went to high school with didn't go to college.

Tough to get into UNC from the bigger metro areas in NC. Perhaps easy from some of the more rural counties.

Tough to get into UNC from the bigger metro areas in NC. Perhaps easy from some of the more rural counties.

I'm pretty sure UNC does this to keep the university geographically diverse.

if you can't get into UNC and you live in the state of NC you are an idiot. Some of the dumbest kids I went to school with got in. Its not because you are a white dude, its because you are dumb.

This is just not true.

I'm pretty sure UNC does this to keep the university geographically diverse.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm against any governmental policies that discriminate against people by where they were born.

I don't know how they do it now, but 20 years ago, it was definitely easier to get in from rural areas. I grew up in a rural county in eastern NC. UNC-CH was my safety school. All I needed was a B-average and it was almost guaranteed that I'd get in. I was surprised when I got to Wake and met several people from out of state or from Winston-Salem that either got rejected or waitlisted at UNC with much better SAT scores than I had. I didn't even apply, since UNC was my 4th choice, and I got into Wake early admission.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm against any governmental policies that discriminate against people by where they were born.

Someone doesn't know much about the applicability of strict scrutiny. Besides, you can move from Charlotte to Pender County. A person can't choose not to be an Asian woman.

This is such a dumb and degrading policy. One day you guys will regret not having opposed it.

Someone doesn't know much about the applicability of strict scrutiny. Besides, you can move from Charlotte to Pender County. A person can't choose not to be an Asian woman.

This is such a dumb and degrading policy. One day you guys will regret not having opposed it.

Nope.

It doesn't bother you that the government is judging people solely on their skin(!?!?!) color?

Context is everything, friend. And in this context, not at all. And frankly, it hasn't bothered me the other 4,291,590 times you've brought it up.

Yep. We know where jhmd stands on this and it's old hat.

Context is everything, friend. And in this context, not at all. And frankly, it hasn't bothered me the other 4,291,590 times you've brought it up.

Allow me to say that in the context of a scantron machine grading an anonymously submitted (as far as the machine is concerned) math test, there is absolutely no excuse for racial discrimination by a government against its people. None whatsoever.

In what context should one candidate receive preference over an equally qualified candidate based solely on the color of their skin?

In what context should one candidate receive preference over an equally qualified candidate based solely on the color of their skin?

How does any college decide which student to accept between equally qualified candidates, regardless of skin color?

Back