• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Group contemplating challenge to UNC Affirmative Action

Athletics aren't controlled by the admissions department.

giphy.gif

What is the standard for high performing high school students? Is that standard the same at every high school?

You didn't answer the last two questions.

Mixture of GPA and AP and class rank.

Top Universities should admit top students.

I'm all for diversity. Top students from a diverse variety of schools will lead to diverse student body.

I'm all for diversity. Top students from a diverse variety of schools will lead to diverse student body.

Then you would value students at the top of their classes from underperforming schools over students just under the top at elite HS?

So you're in favor of affirmative action?

I'm confused.

You haven't been clear. What exactly about affirmative action do you not like? You favor diversity and think it should be accomplished by recruiting the top students from a diverse variety of schools. So what is your problem with affirmative action?

You haven't been clear. What exactly about affirmative action do you not like? You favor diversity and think it should be accomplished by recruiting the top students from a diverse variety of schools. So what is your problem with affirmative action?

This.

I guess I still don't don't understand the critics' issues exactly.

Affirmative action - in its disputed form or not - aside, college admissions has always been affirmative action for wealthy people in terms of opportunity/life chances.

Similarly, I'd speculate that, for as much racial diversity there is in elite institutions, there is even less socioeconomic diversity.

I, for one, look forward to other threads about things particular groups are contemplating.

I, for one, look forward to other threads about things particular groups are contemplating.

The government is judging its people on a racial curve in 2014. And you're "Meh"?

I know that we can do better than that.

I'm not 'meh' yet, but I'm thinking about it.

I don't have a problem with taking an honest look at things that should reasonably alter how we view a person's test score. For instance, if your father was killed in the line of duty fighting fires when you were in gestation, grew up in a failing school system (be it in Fayetteville or Ahoskie) and your widowed single mother never made more than $40,000.00 a year, YOU have ACTUALLY had a tough road, and that makes sense.

I don't understand how skin color :)eek:) will impact your score on a math test. The bigoted underpinnings of that policy's assumptions are simple too awful to articulate. We can and should do so much better.

Unreformed, the policy is (in addition to prejudiced) either lazy, opportunistic and/or retributive. None of which are hallmarks of a well-reasoned idea.

You are assigning an infallibility to testing that is simply unwarranted.

jhmd, is government the only entity that treats people different based on race?

The bit about not seeing how skin color can influence math test scores is shows a basic ignorance of the historical purpose of standardized tests.

Wake professor Joseph Soares has done some interesting work on the SATs. The most interesting finding was that out of a round of potential future questions included to try them out for future SATs, the College Board did not use a single one of the questions in which black students out scored white students.

Last edited:
What does the Air Force say about Affirmative Action? Have they contemplated challenges to it?

Then why have the policy? Why tolerate a sliding scale based upon skin color? In America. In 2014.

College admissions are inherently subjective. I can't imagine a situation where they won't be. I personally think diversity is important to a collegiate atmosphere. One day we may just have MRIs that can objectively rank prospective students mental capacity for admissions, but I would hope we still value extra-curricular activities and such.

I don't know why I'm even bothering attempting dialogue. We're just going to have this thread again in a few weeks.

Back