• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Group Marriage on the Way?

Its a brave new world. You can 'prove' whatever you choose with Google news. Or at least obfuscate any reasonable discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To paraphrase Axl, what we have here is a failure to communicate, some me you just can't reach...

Posters ignored the intellectual points, at their own peril...

Its a brave new world. You can 'prove' whatever you choose with Google news. Or at least obfuscate any reasonable discussion.

ghostbusters_end.png

Yep, Cornell University and Psychology Today are just Google News.

Basically, to Wrangor ELC and TrollBug, scientific studies by reputable institutions don't matter. Attack the messenger not the message.

OK, Kennedy should have written his opinion based on the First Amendment, incorporating it to the states via the 14th, instead of declaring a 14th amendment right, which was not intended. This would preclude other issues raised here.

But I criticize him on a third leg of a small school board, so I lose.

1st Amendment? Good luck with that argument.

Basically, to Wrangor ELC and TrollBug, scientific studies by reputable institutions don't matter. Attack the messenger not the message.

Use your head, RJ. Where do you think these studies are conducted? Saying polygamy is harmful and sexist when viewing it through the lens of an uncivilized and sexist society is not going to give you much of an apples to apples comparison. These are societies where women are routinely beaten, snipped, or worse. Everything in that society is going to be informed by such attitudes, from business to schooling to marriage, to include monogamous ones.

That should close the loop.

Use your head, RJ. Where do you think these studies are conducted? Saying polygamy is harmful and sexist when viewing it through the lens of an uncivilized and sexist society is not going to give you much of an apples to apples comparison. These are societies where women are routinely beaten, snipped, or worse. Everything in that society is going to be informed by such attitudes, from business to schooling to marriage, to include monogamous ones.

Take your head out of your butt ELC. A man controls women in US polygamous situations like they do elsewhere. Women don't have the choice to have careers and kids don't get as much attention when there are more kids and more families with one father.

They are negative economically and socially. It's basic logic and has been proven.

After futher reflection, the only instance I could come up with where that would be the best advice is if he is pounding in a nail, gets it halfway in, and the hammer breaks.

classy

I'm published in Oxford's Human Right's Hub on the topic, and a Catholic Republican. What's the wager?

Take your head out of your butt ELC. A man controls women in US polygamous situations like they do elsewhere. Women don't have the choice to have careers and kids don't get as much attention when there are more kids and more families with one father.

They are negative economically and socially. It's basic logic and has been proven.

Consenting adults, RJ. In countries with polygamous marriages, the whole consent and choice thing is pretty much nullified before girls grow tits and are bartered off to the neighbor's kid for a goat and a couple chickens, and they're lucky if they get a couple chickens. Polygamy does not cause these issues you point out. It may be employed because the problems preexisted, but that's a different issue altogether. And do you think any of those countries would ponder the concept of polygamy meaning one woman and multiple husbands?

I'm published in Oxford's Human Right's Hub on the topic, and a Catholic Republican. What's the wager?

I assume you're talking to me? Do tell what the first amendment argument would be. I doubt anybody used a religious argument in front of SCOTUS in arguing against gay marriage. On the streets is a different matter, but SCOTUS argues with what they are presented with.

I assume you're talking to me? Do tell what the first amendment argument would be. I doubt anybody used a religious argument in front of SCOTUS in arguing against gay marriage. On the streets is a different matter, but SCOTUS argues with what they are presented with.

I would also be interested in hearing this first amendment argument.

Do you really want me to lay out a 22 page legal argument in these posts? I call both sides simpletons and or obtuse. For my work, I will get endless grief here?

There is an an excellent 1st amendment argument that attacks, but concurs in the decision of, Kennedy's 14th Amendment simplistic crap. It does involve religion and state and a 5,000 year journey.

Basically, we are required to accept most religions. Several accept, condone, or perform gay marriage. Not recognizing this is a favoring of a religion (which was meant to be Protestant v. Catholic), which fails under any test of later cases. Trust me.

You can do it with any text or topic. Not sure why that is some special point to make.

Because evangelical politicians and voters justify their beliefs (and policy positions) with the bible. Other politicians don't use random internet sites to justify their policy positions.

Back