• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Facepalm

Religion has nothing to do with it. My point was the deflection away from gun control to other aspects of our culture is a fallacy. Other countries are less religious, watch the same movies, play the same games, watch the same news (more shocking and tabloid in places), have less guns and don't have this problem.

Gun control works everywhere. If we can't agree on some common sense gun control, we will continue destroying one another.

Race? Poverty? Gangbanging? Check this list out, see if you can see any correlation other than gun laws:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The logic behind the belief that any improvements to gun regulation are unnecessary or ineffective is astounding. I really can't think of more heads in the sand.

this is fucking asinine. the same people who think we need to arm ourselves to protect against the government think we should put armed government officers at public places to protect us.

That's a bit of a simplistic analysis, don't you think? And I hardly think that they think hiring a local police officer to guard the school is equivalent to putting an ATF agent there.

The NRA is a gun industry organization.

The NRA has literally millions of individual members. Sure, it gets money from the gun industry. Handgun Control Inc and other anti-gun organizations also get a lot of corporate money.

That's a bit of a simplistic analysis, don't you think? And I hardly think that they think hiring a local police officer to guard the school is equivalent to putting an ATF agent there.

Which state government is going adjust their budget for this expense?

Last edited:
The logic behind the belief that any improvements to gun regulation are unnecessary or ineffective is astounding. I really can't think of more heads in the sand.

Well, your non-existent cross cultural analysis can only be seen gor what it is...weak and uninformed.

not simplistic. the answer is NOT more people with guns

What policy changes would you like to see to help?

I don't own a gun. I don't like them. That's just me. I would like to see assault rifles banned. I don't like armor piercing bullets. There should be rigorous background checks and a waiting period before one takes ownership. It should be required by law that anyone operating "these" technologies be required to attend a sanctioned training seminar. Yes, I would seek the NRA out to provide just such training. I have encountered many thoughtful and well rounded gun enthusiasts who recognize that the inherrent feature with the technology of a gun is, "to kill something". The vast majority are not "nuts" and have great respect for the devices.

In saying this I understand the "cat-calls" of Nanny State! But this requires that we join our state and private forces to make a statement about our society. A simple "we just don't do that here" and we make it a public service campaign and we include the NRA in the education of people wishing to exercise a constitutional right. * I understand the extraordinary difficulty in keeping these out of the hands of bad guys. That notwithstanding, I think our government
should stand up for it's citizens and even if for purely psychological reasons let our citizens hear : " We don't like it. We don't condone it". I do not want to harm those who take their 2nd ammendment rights seriously and with respect. This encapsulates the vast majority of people I meet and (often suprisingly) learn of their thoughts behind gun ownership. They are not the gross caricatures they are often portrayed as...

That's #1

Lectro, it sounds like you and I agree that guns are a big problem, and they need to be addressed.

Lectro, it sounds like you and I agree that guns are a big problem, and they need to be addressed.

We do. But there are other societal aspects which must be confronted. This new, emotionless human being, scares the hell out me. I would prefer that he foamed at the mouth and gave the tell-tell signs of "lunatic!"

This new person does not. There is a problem here. This person is not only highly intelligent but cold and calculating. He is a long range planner who "knows" that time is on his side. He is cut off from human emotion and his actions look as programmed as any Manchurian candidate. He will find any deterrent (school guards or gun laws) to be more of a spur, a challenge to meet.

Last edited:
We do. But there are other societal aspects which must be confronted. This new, emotionless human being, scares the hell out me. I would prefer that he foamed at the mouth and gave the tell-tell signs of "lunatic!"

This new person does not. There is a problem here. This person is not only highly intelligent but cold and calculating. He is a long range planner who "knows" that time is on his side. He is cut off from human emotion and his actions look as programmed as any Manchurian candidate. He will find any deterrent (school guards or gun laws) to be more of a spur, a challenge to meet.

Show me where you are getting this? How long did Lanza plan? There were no warning signs? I'm calling BS.

Nothing will convince you, I realize that. Fortunately, I doubt that Americans will completely give up their right to defend themselves with firearms any time soon. Any bill like that of DiFi will be easily circumvented. It will be shown a few years from now that it made no impact, just like the last one made no impact. Excuses will be made, of course, and we will continue to ignore the real problem of mass shooters: lunacy.

Back