• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

For the cost of a laser, I'd rather have night sights.

Laser is a lot more effective inside a home IMO, even for an experienced shooter. Night sights are great for precision in low light, but not all that helpful while groggy in the dark and shooting "from the hip" in a home invasion. Plus, a laser, like the sound of a pump action loading, may be intimidating enough in itself.

I still say forget the pistol and buy a pump 20 gauge if you are just looking for something "easy" and effective around the house.

Laser is a lot more effective inside a home IMO, even for an experienced shooter. Night sights are great for precision in low light, but not all that helpful while groggy in the dark and shooting "from the hip" in a home invasion. Plus, a laser, like the sound of a pump action loading, may be intimidating enough in itself.

I still say forget the pistol and buy a pump 20 gauge if you are just looking for something "easy" and effective around the house.

If you're going the shotgun route, I'd get a pump 12 gauge in the shortest legal barrel (I think it's 18") but that's personal preference.

If you're going the shotgun route, I'd get a pump 12 gauge in the shortest legal barrel (I think it's 18") but that's personal preference.

Nothing wrong with that. I just prefer the 20 in the home defense application...easier for everyone (wives in particular) to handle and more than enough fire power with modern loads. My sister can shoot a short barrel 20 but is afraid of a 12. Much easier to shoot too in cases you can't get it shouldered properly.

I definitely prefer 20 to 12. No contest. (woman perspective)

Thanks so far with the help on this, I'm starting to get into it. If I get the pistol and were to add a shotgun, is there anything in general to know about them that differentiates one from another other than guage?

The smaller the gauge, the larger the barrel diameter. .20 gauge is good for rabbit/squirrel hunting and would be something your wife could easily shoot. That's the shotgun we have right now. I've got some slugs for it, that supposedly can take down a deer, but I doubt I'd ever take it deer hunting. You can get single shot (lots of kick), pump action, or semi auto. The semi auto has significantly less kick, but its hard to beat the awesomeness of a "click, click" from a pump action shotgun.

The smaller the gauge, the larger the barrel diameter. .20 gauge is good for rabbit/squirrel hunting and would be something your wife could easily shoot. That's the shotgun we have right now. I've got some slugs for it, that supposedly can take down a deer, but I doubt I'd ever take it deer hunting. You can get single shot (lots of kick), pump action, or semi auto. The semi auto has significantly less kick, but its hard to beat the awesomeness of a "click, click" from a pump action shotgun.

You can also get an over/under or SxS double barrel.

My home defense shotgun is a short-barrelled 12, and I admit it kicks like a mule. I don't know if it's because it's light or what, but that thing is rough. The Browning 12 gauge we shoot clays with feels like a .410 in comparison. Ridiculous difference.

Back