• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

I really want to go shooting. I haven't been since I moved to Gainesville. We live on the first floor of our apartment with a big sliding glass door in our bedroom. Heard a bunch of strange noises the other night, and laying in bed it occurred to me that my baseball bat didn't make the move, and there was nothing with which I could defend myself.

What kind of clip will a 9mm have?

Also what can I expect to pay and should it be new or used?

I feel like I am going to buy a car having never driven a car, just heard about them.

I was in your boat a couple of months ago. I picked up a New Glock 19 (compact 9mm) for 499 dollars, and the clip holds 15 bullets. One bit of advice I will give you is that I have not seen mentioned yet is that you have to buy the gun in the state you reside in. I live near a state line and went to a gunshop across the line at first and was quickly told that little bit of information.

I was in your boat a couple of months ago. I picked up a New Glock 19 (compact 9mm) for 499 dollars, and the [magazine] holds 15 [rounds/cartridges]. One bit of advice I will give you is that I have not seen mentioned yet is that you have to buy the gun in the state you reside in. I live near a state line and went to a gunshop across the line at first and was quickly told that little bit of information.

fify

I think you're asking about magazine capacity (it's not a clip).

This will vary depending on the weapon; it could be anywhere from 7 to 15 rounds (or more). Depends on the size of the pistol (sub-compact, compact, full size) and the configuration of the magazine (single vs. double stack). Most of the pistols being suggested have "double-stack" magazines.

I am 50/50 on whether or not I get this right on the first time. Drives me nuts that I can't just KNOW.

I was in your boat a couple of months ago. I picked up a New Glock 19 (compact 9mm) for 499 dollars, and the clip holds 15 bullets. One bit of advice I will give you is that I have not seen mentioned yet is that you have to buy the gun in the state you reside in. I live near a state line and went to a gunshop across the line at first and was quickly told that little bit of information.

this is one of the favorite ways of undercover people to catch arms dealers. if you're selling, you're required to ask for a photo ID of a person from the state you're selling the gun from. If they can't or won't produce it, you can't sell it to them. More people than you'd expect don't think to ask about this (because they just want to $ell their gun) and get busted. womp womp.

I have a Beretta PX4 9mm. I love the gun and it just feels great in my hand. It also has the different sized backstraps that are easy enough to change out. Mine has two 17 round magazines. I think California is the only state that limits capacity to 10. 9mm ammo is pretty well priced as ammo goes. I can usually get 500 rounds for about $120 or so.

I'll echo Left Coast that the Beretta 92 would be a good option. It's a heavier gun but will absorb some of the recoil and help you be more accurate.

Sort of...you have to have a FFL dealer in your state that will handle the transfer, but for all intent and purpose, it's probably easier for the first time buyer to purchase from a local brick/mortar store.

Kinda refreshing getting schooled about handguns by female Deacs.

I have a Beretta PX4 9mm. I love the gun and it just feels great in my hand. It also has the different sized backstraps that are easy enough to change out. Mine has two 17 round magazines. I think California is the only state that limits capacity to 10. 9mm ammo is pretty well priced as ammo goes. I can usually get 500 rounds for about $120 or so.
Hawaii, Massachusetts, and New York also have 10 round mag limits. The Illinois limit is 12 rounds.

Round limits are confusing to me. It's so easy to change magazines quickly.

Nevermind the fact that someone wishing to act criminally with a gun has multiple easy solutions:
1) Buy from another State.
2) Even if outlawed in all States, high capacity magazines would exist on the secondary market.
3) Worst case scenario, order from China and wait a few days.

but if you put a regular mag in there it extends the bottom so your ring/pinky arent falling off...

you're right, though. it was more a 'these guns work for my small hands' post and it wouldn't be best for them.

Yea but if you are going to put a larger mag into it then just get a bigger glock. The 26/27 should only be purchased for Concealed Carry IMO, otherwise just get the bigger one.

Yea but if you are going to put a larger mag into it then just get a bigger glock. The 26/27 should only be purchased for Concealed Carry IMO, otherwise just get the bigger one.

but he's talking about sharing w/ his wife. i was bringing it up because of the smaller size.

I'll echo Left Coast that the Beretta 92 would be a good option. It's a heavier gun but will absorb some of the recoil and help you be more accurate.

Have to agree with Helton here. My first Pistol purchase was a Beretta 92 and I absolutely loved it. Basically no recoil and is fun as hell to shoot. Big enough that it holds 15 rounds but is a natural fit in most hands. It's just a really well made gun.

but he's talking about sharing w/ his wife. i was bringing it up because of the smaller size.

It's "smaller", but not in any dimension that would be of benefit to someone with smaller hands. If anything, the short barrel, light weight, and short grip (only allowing 2-3 fingers) make it much harder for someone with smaller/weaker hands to shoot well. A nice compact with a smaller grip (S&W, Kahr, maybe even 92F as I and others have mentioned) or a revolver in .357/.38+P would be the way to go if you want a pistol IMO. If you're not planning to do much shooting or carrying, and just want something around the house, get a short pump action 20 guage and be done with it.

Last edited:

Yea I know. Do you think the sub-compact (26) with a full size magazine in it is going to be easier for her to handle/maneuver than a compact with a correct magazine for the 19? If so i'll agree to disagree. The sub-compact glocks are not an easy guy to begin shooting with and if he/they are looking at a gun to have around the house in case it's ever needed there are better guns out there for that just in the glock family, as well as other manufacturers out there.

I'd recommend looking at something with a laser sight on it. Don't mean this in a negative way but since you are a gun novice and your wife may have to use it sometime (probably in the dark) the laser sight will allow her/you know exactly just where you are pointing. Just another something to think about.

How much extra is a laser sight?

Those are usually after market options and would probably be $100 to $200 at least for something decent. If you want a laser, make sure you get a gun with a picitinny rail. For example, the Beretta 92 we mentioned does not have a rail on the common FS model but they make one called the 92A1 that does have a rail.

This is the gun I have and you can see the rail below the slide in front of the trigger and trigger guard.
filec7f4e9c5a8314812b91240ec0e127700.jpg

Last edited:
Back