• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

Picked up a Gen 4 Glock 27 myself about a month and a half ago. I love it and am now in the process of finding a good IWB holster in case I ever want to carry. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had shot the Gen 3 Glock 27 and thought the kick was a little much for a carry gone and that I couldn't get back on target quick enough if needed. The new spring in the Gen 4 seems to be much more manageable and i'm glad to have a .40 Cal since I already had a 9mm in my 92 Beretta. Really happy with my purchase and the little 27 is accurate as hell to boot.

Crossbreed Supertuck is pretty high on the list, although I have no first hand knowledge.

Conceal carry all the time.

Ruger LCP
Glock 32 .357 sig

The Ruger is a pocket gun chambered in .380
I carry the Glock IWB with no problems. I am tall and thin and do have to dress around the gun somewhat but it works for me. I usually just wear shirts that are a little baggy and usually just carry the .380 during the summer in my pocket (with a pocket holster of course) although I'm not fond of this caliber. Bought a nice holster online about a year and a half ago for my Glock and also bought a "gun belt" to go along with the holster. Gun belt is very sturdy although a bit pricey but is needed for the extra support and helps keep the gun close to my body. I carry for protection and I don't give a damn what folks think about it. The cool thing is that if you conceal carry and do it right and use a little common sense, nobody will ever know you are carrying.

77 - Looked into any of the numerous 9mm pocket guns that have come out in the last few years to replace the .380?

77 - Looked into any of the numerous 9mm pocket guns that have come out in the last few years to replace the .380?

This is what j just did- no more bodyguard, picked up the 26 instead. Way more convenient for stocking ammo.

This is what j just did- no more bodyguard, picked up the 26 instead. Way more convenient for stocking ammo.

I wouldn't call the 26 a pocket gun though.

There's been a lot of negativity from some folks in the self-defense world who say 9mm is "too much" for a pocket gun (or even a 26) and the .380/.320 is all you need. I haven't found that to be the case. I can fire pocket 9mm and .380 equally as well. Neither are something you can make long range, quick and accurate follow-up shots with from such a small frame. We're talking the typical 7 yards or less here. Ironically, the argument against 9mm in favor of .380 is usually from the same people who would normally make the argument that 9mm isn't enough for a non-pocket self-defense gun, and you really need a .40, .45, .357, etc. I think some people just don't like the 9mm caliber. Personally, I love it. Easy to shoot quick and accurately in big guns, plenty of power for small guns, cheap, and highly available into infinity since it's a NATO caliber. Makes my trips to the range a lot easier and cheaper.

My suitemate shoots me with a nerf gun every time I ****ing enter the hall.

I really want to shoot a .50 cal sniper sometime in my lifetime. I'm basically obsessed with sniping. Those guys are just talented.

I wouldn't call the 26 a pocket gun though.

There's been a lot of negativity from some folks in the self-defense world who say 9mm is "too much" for a pocket gun (or even a 26) and the .380/.320 is all you need. I haven't found that to be the case. I can fire pocket 9mm and .380 equally as well. Neither are something you can make long range, quick and accurate follow-up shots with from such a small frame. We're talking the typical 7 yards or less here. Ironically, the argument against 9mm in favor of .380 is usually from the same people who would normally make the argument that 9mm isn't enough for a non-pocket self-defense gun, and you really need a .40, .45, .357, etc. I think some people just don't like the 9mm caliber. Personally, I love it. Easy to shoot quick and accurately in big guns, plenty of power for small guns, cheap, and highly available into infinity since it's a NATO caliber. Makes my trips to the range a lot easier and cheaper.
What 9mm models would you consider to be pocket guns?

Not bad. A Walther PPS is pushing it.

Agreed. The more I look at it, the less I like it...it was the first thing I found on Google. Didn't want to search around too much on the Corporate network. :) I have the Keltec on loan from my pops and it's on the large size as well but works in my pack pocket. I've shot/carried the Kahr and Ruger and found them to be much better sized (a few mm makes a lot of difference).

To be honest no. I really only bought the .380 for my wife to keep at home. She's terrified of guns and the LCP was the only thing I could get that she was comfortable with. I didn't really intend on carrying the LCP but after I bought it, I became fond of the ability to just slide it into my pocket and not have to put on a holster etc.. I have shot a 9mm pocket gun (don't remember the model) and didn't like the recoil. I'm not a .380 fan but it's better than having nothing. I also have nothing against the 9mm round as I used to have a Ruger 9mm pistol but I ended up trading that for my Glock. Love my Glock and although it's expensive to shoot, I love the .357 sig round.

i own a .223 varmint rifle (highly, highly accurate with hair trigger, floating barrel, bipod, full bore barrel, bolt action, with a leoupold gold ring var magnification scope)
20ga pump mossberg
17 shot 9mm glock
.357 S&W 5 shooter that also fires .38s
a remmington semiauto .22 rifle
S&W .380 ACP
and an SKS (chinese so it's shitty but still fun)

and i'm for stricter gun control lol

no. little brother did that for a while, and then we outlawed him as a character. however, i spent a lot of time gliding around on my knee.*

*you know, REI practice.

EDIT: It has been requested by callowayslave that, for the sake of his honor, i change my post and tell everyone it was not him that used Oddjob.
"I never played as oddjob you liar!! I was always bond and won on pure skill. You gotta take that back." -text

self-quote to clear big brother's name.

I don't own a gun and my parents never had one in the house when I was growing up. I used my grandfather's shotgun to hunt while in college but have not fired a firearm in 25 years. I have come to the conclusion lately that having a pistol around that both my wife and I can handle may not be a bad idea. Of course I want to know everything about it as well as taking the proper lessons to handle it. What would a good gun for this?

I don't own a gun and my parents never had one in the house when I was growing up. I used my grandfather's shotgun to hunt while in college but have not fired a firearm in 25 years. I have come to the conclusion lately that having a pistol around that both my wife and I can handle may not be a bad idea. Of course I want to know everything about it as well as taking the proper lessons to handle it. What would a good gun for this?

Do you have children in the house?

Even if you never intend on hunting or using long guns, a hunter safety course wouldnt be a bad idea. It'll get you more familiar with guns in general. In SC, you can actually do some of them online.

I'd recommend a 9mm or 357 / 38sp (A 357 revolver can shoot 38 special, but not the other way around). Your wife, with training and exposure, should be able handle either 9mm or 38sp without any issues. Ultimately, "a good gun for this" is one that you're both comfortable with. There's really no right answer - you need to go to the gun store and find something that's comfortable in your hand. For starters check into:

Glock G17
Glock G19
Springfield Armory XD
Smith & Wesson M&P
Sig P229
Ruger SP101
Smith & Wesson 686

No, no children in the house. Whichever gun you recommend, where is the best place to get one? Pawn shop, gin show, etc?

Do not go to a pawn shop, go to a gun store (with your wife) and tell the people exactly what you told us. Get a feel for them, see if you like how they talk to you, what they show you, etc. Make sure they address your wife, too- I hate when people only talk to my bf.
Gun shows are ok for information, but I don't feel like sellers take as much time to really walk you through thigns because there are 8 otehr people at the table at the same time.

Back