• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Halt and Catch Fire: Season 4 premiered Saturday

RedSoxFaithful

a vicar in a tutu
Reaction score
If you're looking something to fill Mad Men's void after tonight's mid-season finale, Halt and Catch Fire seems like a pretty good candidate.

It stars Lee Pace (The Hobbit, Pushing Daisies, Guardians of the Galaxy) and Scoot McNairy (Argo, Monsters). Period drama set in the 80s, about a plan to rip off an IBM computer.

Here's the trailer:

It premieres next Sunday in Mad Men's 10p slot, but the pilot is streaming on Tumblr and AMC a week early. I just watched it, and it's very, very good. Pace and McNairy are fantastic, and Mackenzie Davis steals every scene she's in. It suffers from some of the usual pilot problems (occasionally overexplaining its premise and its characters), and it's a little geeky at times, but I was pretty pumped for this show heading in, and the pilot justified that excitement and then some.

Early reviews I've seen have been really good. It'll be interesting to see if audiences follow.

Did anybody check out the pilot on Sunday?

It ended up getting mixed reviews, but this was apparently the only episode sent to reviewers, so maybe it'll pick up a bit.

Halt and Catch Fire: AMC Series Premiere 6/1 (Streaming Now)

I watched it. It did just enough to get me to watch again, but overall it just seemed really formulaic. The acting is good, although I think Lee Pace is trying too hard. The blond chick is kind of cool. If the second ep goes the same way, I'm out.

Did anybody check out the pilot on Sunday?

It ended up getting mixed reviews, but this was apparently the only episode sent to reviewers, so maybe it'll pick up a bit.

This worries me. Is this like when a studio has a shitty movie and they know it, so they don't let the critics see it before it is released?

I thought it was pretty solid for a pilot. They always have to exaggerate characters in pilots. What offended me the most was them trying to pass off Georgia as Dallas.

Gave this another shot, and I think I'm done. I just don't find the show compelling. The writing seems forced, the plot formulaic, and now I'm starting to think that Lee Pace was horribly miscast.

From what I've seen in promos, it seems like it's very similar to Person of Interest. How does it differ?

From what I've seen in promos, it seems like it's very similar to Person of Interest. How does it differ?

I mean, it's not a procedural, and it's on AMC, so it's presumably more ambitious, well-acted, and just generally better.

Also, wait it's nothing like Person of Interest. There's no crime solving. It's a show about the computer industry in the 80s.

From what I've seen in promos and from what I just read on wiki about Person of Interest, it appears that the only similarity is that they are both tv shows.

First scene is definitely Atlanta but they swapped our Gold Dome for another State Capitol building.

I mean, it's not a procedural, and it's on AMC, so it's presumably more ambitious, well-acted, and just generally better.

Also, wait it's nothing like Person of Interest. There's no crime solving. It's a show about the computer industry in the 80s.

From what I've seen in promos and from what I just read on wiki about Person of Interest, it appears that the only similarity is that they are both tv shows.

hahahaha <3

I like it so far but the main dude can't act for shit yet he thinks he's amazing.

The other acting is making up for it.

I guess its like Mad Men only Jon Hamm is replaced w/ John Stamos.

I must have misinterpreted the trailers. To me it looked like they were creating a computer that would know everything people were doing.

I like it so far but the main dude can't act for shit yet he thinks he's amazing.

The other acting is making up for it.

I guess its like Mad Men only Jon Hamm is replaced w/ John Stamos.

I mean, Lee Pace is a good actor. He overdid it a little bit in the pilot, but I think he'll come around.

The commercials make it seem like a Silicon Valley Wolf of Wallstreet miniseries or NCIS

I must have misinterpreted the trailers. To me it looked like they were creating a computer that would know everything people were doing.

wat? none of the commercials did that. he says "reverse engineer an IBM PC" in like every ad

117481_7c9cbbedb3d444c3e2ef616ed6963ade.gif

Wow. How could anyone not know the basics of the show after being hit over the head with the basics for the last several weeks?

But anyway, is the show worth watching?

It's pretty good. Sort of hit or miss at this point, but they're only two episodes in.

It's no Mad Men or Breaking Bad obviously, but it's started out way better than, say, Rubicon (which I really liked), Hell on Wheels, or Turn.

Back