• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

I only regret that we have but one hanging ceremony to give.

I'm bummed I haven't had a chance to see Williams play in person this season. Was hoping to get back to Winston for a game, but couldn't find a time that worked.

Guess we'll just have to make the Final 4.

The obvious comparison is to super impactful one and done guys and whether their jersey gets retired by their schools. As some high profile examples, Syracuse retired Carmelo Anthony's jersey and Texas retired Kevin Durant's jersey.

I understand those guys are a level or two above the quality of player that Alondes is, but it at least shows that you can have one super impactful season and get your jersey rightfully retired. Given the state of our program in the decade before this season, I think retiring Alondes' jersey is a no brainer if he wins ACC POY.

After the dark decade of despondency, bill boards, airplane towing banners expressing the feelings on this board. Not to mention all of the nefarious ideas on taking Wellman out; not to mention how damn bad everyone felt as if we were spectators to a shit show that would never end. While you are placing Man Man's banner, be sure and leave room for Forbes. LJVM basketball court if the trend continues will be known as Forbe's Place!

The obvious comparison is to super impactful one and done guys and whether their jersey gets retired by their schools. As some high profile examples, Syracuse retired Carmelo Anthony's jersey and Texas retired Kevin Durant's jersey.

I understand those guys are a level or two above the quality of player that Alondes is, but it at least shows that you can have one super impactful season and get your jersey rightfully retired. Given the state of our program in the decade before this season, I think retiring Alondes' jersey is a no brainer if he wins ACC POY.

1 - He's going to win POY.

2 - That should be a prerequisite in this particular case to "Hang It!"

3 - If we do something incredibly meaningful in the post-season - win the ACCT or go on an amazing run in the tourney - the comparisons to those two guys relative to their college careers are more apt.

It is an interesting question for sure in the new landscape of college basketball. great players rarely stay in college for more than 2 years now and the transfer portal has made it like free agency for all players and coaches. Williams doesn't have the career stats at Wake that would garner "hanging it", but i would argue that he has made one of the largest impacts at Wake Forest in my lifetime as a fan (35+ years). the list is not long in that timeframe...

The whole game of college basketball is changing and the rationales for honoring players are going to have to change too. Just as we were one of the first to really show the transformative benefits of the transfer portal, let's be one of the first to do this too. Hang it.

Actually I think if Alondes were a true freshman, Durant and Anthony would be good examples to discuss. Instead, he's 22, going on 23. Durant was on the last year of his rookie contract by that age and had played in the NBA All-Star Game twice.

Actually I think if Alondes were a true freshman, Durant and Anthony would be good examples to discuss. Instead, he's 22, going on 23. Durant was on the last year of his rookie contract by that age and had played in the NBA All-Star Game twice.

I wasn't making the case that Durant/Anthony are very similar cases to Alondes, just that it's not unreasonable to retire a number after only one year if that player makes a big enough impact on the program.

This is where I wish we had the honored players/honor jerseys idea at wake. If he takes us deep in the tournament, hang it. If it’s a mediocre postseason and he wins POY, I would love to see him honored in someway in the Colosseum.

He has the first triple double since Timmy D, a good shot at being the first player IN ACC HISTORY to lead the league in scoring and assists and SHOULD be the ACC POY. Hang it.

It's a fair point, but also keep in mind that due to Covid there are a lot of players like him in CBB this year.

Eh, I can't get behind the idea of hanging a jersey for one-year players. Probably because I am old, and thus old school. I was never behind hanging CP3's jersey, either, no matter how much I loved him as a Deacon. I think we need an alternative way to honor the jerseys of short-time players.

Eh, I can't get behind the idea of hanging a jersey for one-year players. Probably because I am old, and thus old school. I was never behind hanging CP3's jersey, either, no matter how much I loved him as a Deacon. I think we need an alternative way to honor the jerseys of short-time players.

I understand this, and how would another player in this era of college sports ever be honored? No one will be good enough by this criteria. Any player that is excellent is not staying 4 years anymore. That has been true since at least the early 2000s.

Longevity should not overshadow excellence. Longevity + excellence is probably going to be unattainable now for any program. You would need a undersized player lacking in speed, agility or hops that dominates CBB so he stays four years. Not sure that exists.

“Short-time” players are the players who are actually good enough to be considered having their jerseys retired.

If he wins POY, as he definitely should, then his jersey should be retired. All the other Wake players (Hemric, Chappell, Davis, Griffin, Rogers, Duncan, Howard) who have won it have had their jerseys retired.

The other players with retired jerseys (Brown, Bogues, Childress, Paul) have had some kind of intangible, unquantifiable factors that led to their jerseys being retired. Brown and Childress brought us back from obscurity into prominence, Bogues was the only thing that made anyone pay any attention to Wake basketball in the mid 80's, and CP3 was CP3.

You could make an argument that ManMan deserves it without being named POY because he has similar intangible, unquantifiable qualities.

His legacy is somewhat going to be out of his hands as to be the guy that brought the program back to life, the team is going to have to maintain the success for the new few seasons. John Collins was good enough to get Wake back into the tournament, but since it was a one year deal, it holds little significance.
Seems to be different circumstances that impact the process. CP is like Durant in that he got his jersey retired due to the success he has had in the NBA. I don't see Wake retiring his jersey if he had the career of Raymond Felton or Deron Williams. If Forbes' statement comes true that we get to look back years down the road at where Wake is on the national scene and can credit ManMan for starting it, the decision is a no brainer. That will take time to find out though.

His legacy is somewhat going to be out of his hands as to be the guy that brought the program back to life, the team is going to have to maintain the success for the new few seasons. John Collins was good enough to get Wake back into the tournament, but since it was a one year deal, it holds little significance.
Seems to be different circumstances that impact the process. CP is like Durant in that he got his jersey retired due to the success he has had in the NBA. I don't see Wake retiring his jersey if he had the career of Raymond Felton or Deron Williams. If Forbes' statement comes true that we get to look back years down the road at where Wake is on the national scene and can credit ManMan for starting it, the decision is a no brainer. That will take time to find out though.

Deron Williams played 12 years in the NBA and was a 3-time NBA All-Star.

Maybe. Or maybe it will take just another year or two of solid seasons.

Deron Williams played 12 years in the NBA and was a 3-time NBA All-Star.

I didn't say he sucked, but I don't believe CP would have been retired if he didn't turn himself into an all time great and just popped in a few all star games like Deron. Illinois honors players, but if they did retire number, I doubt Deron would have received that honor. Isn't Ish working on around a 12 year NBA career at this point? If he had popped up on a few all star teams, I don't think he was coming back to Winston for the banner hanging.

Back