• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

If he wins POY, as he definitely should, then his jersey should be retired. All the other Wake players (Hemric, Chappell, Davis, Griffin, Rogers, Duncan, Howard) who have won it have had their jerseys retired.

The other players with retired jerseys (Brown, Bogues, Childress, Paul) have had some kind of intangible, unquantifiable factors that led to their jerseys being retired. Brown and Childress brought us back from obscurity into prominence, Bogues was the only thing that made anyone pay any attention to Wake basketball in the mid 80's, and CP3 was CP3.

You could make an argument that ManMan deserves it without being named POY because he has similar intangible, unquantifiable qualities.

Like if he doesn't win POY and the team doesn't make the tourney and doesn't go on to really solid NBA career (a la Bogues) it is harder to make that argument IMO. I think he's going to win POY though. And should assure it is hung. Now that we're assured 5th I hope Billy buckets or whatever the fuck his name is comes up way short of getting the scoring title. And 11 assists last night I presume looks down the APG stat. No way if he leads the league in scoring and assists on a team with the single largest year to year win improvement in league history he is not POY.

Being the catalyst that brought us out of 10 years of basketball purgatory along with his stats makes him worty in my opinion. Hang it.

I understand this, and how would another player in this era of college sports ever be honored? No one will be good enough by this criteria. Any player that is excellent is not staying 4 years anymore. That has been true since at least the early 2000s.

Longevity should not overshadow excellence. Longevity + excellence is probably going to be unattainable now for any program. You would need a undersized player lacking in speed, agility or hops that dominates CBB so he stays four years. Not sure that exists.

Yea, I get it - it is a different world now. Like I said, I think we need a different way to honor jerseys now. UNC has two tiers - honored and retired - something like that... IDK, maybe I am wrong - it just seems bizarre to have a kid wear a number for one year and then say no one can ever wear it again.

I didn't say he sucked, but I don't believe CP would have been retired if he didn't turn himself into an all time great and just popped in a few all star games like Deron. Illinois honors players, but if they did retire number, I doubt Deron would have received that honor. Isn't Ish working on around a 12 year NBA career at this point? If he had popped up on a few all star teams, I don't think he was coming back to Winston for the banner hanging.

Who was better at Wake Forest ? CP3 or Ish ?

How many players from Wake Forest have played in three or more All-Star Games ? I'm guessing two.

“Short-time” players are the players who are actually good enough to be considered having their jerseys retired.

this. by the criteria that are being thrown out, we will never retire a jersey again. Players who are good enough to get their jerseys retired will not stay around. You're looking for players that suck for a year or two, then pick it up and have a great junior/senior season. The HANG CARTER WHITT'S JERSEY discussion is a mere 3 years away.

also, even if he doesn't win ACC POY, we know he should, and that's plenty of reason to hang the jersey. Again, we can't let Carolina and Duke homer sportswriters decide who's in our rafters.

Who was better at Wake Forest ? CP3 or Ish ?

How many players from Wake Forest have played in three or more All-Star Games ? I'm guessing two.

Obviously CP was better. Do you believe CP was getting his jersey retired no matter what he did in the NBA? Or are you arguing at what level of success in the NBA he had to have to get it retired?

this. by the criteria that are being thrown out, we will never retire a jersey again. Players who are good enough to get their jerseys retired will not stay around. You're looking for players that suck for a year or two, then pick it up and have a great junior/senior season. The HANG CARTER WHITT'S JERSEY discussion is a mere 3 years away.

also, even if he doesn't win ACC POY, we know he should, and that's plenty of reason to hang the jersey. Again, we can't let Carolina and Duke homer sportswriters decide who's in our rafters.

They have become much more rare, but with today's NBA it would likely require a traditional big man to play well for 4 years. Luka Garza is a good example as his game apparently doesn't translate to the league well enough to justify leaving. Trace Davis Jackson may end up at IU for 4 years for similar reasons. Drew Timme is another possibility as he may end up making more in NIL than he would in pro ball.

I think that if CP3 played in three All-Star Games he would have had his jersey retired based on his play at WF and in the NBA.

BTW, Williams played three years at Illinois and got his jersey retired. He also had his jersey retired by Beşiktaş in Turkey where he played during the 2011 lockout.

I think that if CP3 played in three All-Star Games he would have had his jersey retired based on his play at WF and in the NBA.

BTW, Williams played three years at Illinois and got his jersey retired. He also had his jersey retired by Beşiktaş in Turkey where he played during the 2011 lockout.

Williams wore #5 - here is Andre Curbelo this year:

H3FIDF75HZA4RITQNLNX4LRW44.jpg

We have made horrible decisions hanging weak careers up there. The bar is so low at Wake we are about to drop it even lower and retire a one season guy? We’d be the only school in the country to ever do that.

If Forbes wins the ACC and leaves, he’s had a better career than Prosser in just two years. If the guy dies, there will be people advocating hanging that too.

We need to downgrade half those jerseys to honored and start over.

We have made horrible decisions hanging weak careers up there. The bar is so low at Wake we are about to drop it even lower and retire a one season guy? We’d be the only school in the country to ever do that.

If Forbes wins the ACC and leaves, he’s had a better career than Prosser in just two years. If the guy dies, there will be people advocating hanging that too.

We need to downgrade half those jerseys to honored and start over.

So much bad in one post. Very impressive actually.

Williams wore #5 - here is Andre Curbelo this year:

H3FIDF75HZA4RITQNLNX4LRW44.jpg

Colleges often don't really "retire" jerseys. They put the name and number in the rafters. Someone else might come along and use the same number and get the same treatment. I actually like that better than retiring numbers permanently. You want to wear the 3 jersey. Great. Know who wore it and honor it.

It does Tim Duncan a major disservice to have Bogues and Brown and even Griffin up there.

Bogues isn’t even the best #14 in program history. By all objective standards, Frank Johnson’s college career was much better.

Too much emotion went in to some of these Jersey retirements. Chris Paul became great after leaving us and gave a bunch of money, ok let’s retire that years later?

Skip Brown is a first class adult and really nice to folks? Ok let’s hang that up too 30 years later?? WTH

Vince Carter, Al Wood, Kyrie Irving, Gene Banks

All amazing players. Their numbers would only be retired at LOWF

Vince Carter, Al Wood, Kyrie Irving, Gene Banks

All amazing players. Their numbers would only be retired at LOWF

Well Kyrie Irving played in 11 college basketball games, and 0 against ACC schools, so no his number would probably not be retired by any school.

Also if youre going to praise Duke/UNC players can you go do it on one of their forums so I don’t have to read it?

Back