• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Harrison Barnes gets jersey honored at UNC

Zeller's going to get it too for ACC POY

This is why you don't have strictly objective criteria for honoring/retiring jerseys.

I"m on the side of predominantly objective criteria, but not completely. Objective criteria allows you to set an even (if not fair) playing field across generations, as well as deflect criticism of using subjective means to give the honor to players who many feel are undeserving. With subjective criteria, you place a lot responsibility on yourself to validate selections, and make it exceptionally hard to avoid criticism (especially when comparing players across different eras). With objective criteria (using generally respected honors like All-American and tourney MOP), you'll have two kinds of weird cases, but they are infrequent I think.

Type 1 - the missed expectations solid-player (e.g. Barnes). He's a very solid player, but the lingering glow from expectations or hype gives him that extra bump to get AA or MOP votes. Those same fading expectations or hype is also what makes it seem ridiculous, because he leaves a bad taste in people's mouths as a dud or failure.

Type 2 - the invaluable "role" player with a stellar career (to use another UNC guy e.g. Ed Cota). Never quite spectacular enough in a single season, but over the career is clearly one of the best or most legendary to play for the school. Cota as an example is 3rd in career assists in the NCAA. Led UNC to 3 FF. Countless awards, but never the ones in the criteria. And since the criteria is based on single season performance, accumulation of big time play (or even non "stat" play) cannot be considered.

Personally, I think UNC would do well to increase the standard to not include 2nd team AA for honorary status. Also, opening a door for extreme special circumstances to account for amazing careers (not single seasons) would be smart. The fact that Forte is up there and Cota is not makes the whole thing lose credibility.

I"m on the side of predominantly objective criteria, but not completely. Objective criteria allows you to set an even (if not fair) playing field across generations, as well as deflect criticism of using subjective means to give the honor to players who many feel are undeserving. With subjective criteria, you place a lot responsibility on yourself to validate selections, and make it exceptionally hard to avoid criticism (especially when comparing players across different eras). With objective criteria (using generally respected honors like All-American and tourney MOP), you'll have two kinds of weird cases, but they are infrequent I think.

Type 1 - the missed expectations solid-player (e.g. Barnes). He's a very solid player, but the lingering glow from expectations or hype gives him that extra bump to get AA or MOP votes. Those same fading expectations or hype is also what makes it seem ridiculous, because he leaves a bad taste in people's mouths as a dud or failure.

Type 2 - the invaluable "role" player with a stellar career (to use another UNC guy e.g. Ed Cota). Never quite spectacular enough in a single season, but over the career is clearly one of the best or most legendary to play for the school. Cota as an example is 3rd in career assists in the NCAA. Led UNC to 3 FF. Countless awards, but never the ones in the criteria. And since the criteria is based on single season performance, and accumulation of big time play (or even non "stat" play), cannot be considered.

Personally, I think UNC would do well to increase the standard to not include 2nd team AA for honorary status. Also, opening a door for extreme special circumstances to account for amazing careers (not single seasons) would be smart. The fact that Forte is up there and Cota is not makes the whole thing lose credibility.

My thoughts exactly.

Back