• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman #1 Ranked college QB NFL draft

I think it's interesting that it is the Denver Bronco Draftwire site talking about Hartman and the list. They already have a WFU QB on the roster...

I think arm strength and height would be big concerns. He is incredibly accurate, but a lot is him throwing it up and AT and Jacquari going up and getting. Have to think all the batted passes the last couple of games would be a big concern for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

That Sam is even being considered after one of the worst bowl performances I've seen last year says a lot about his improvement.

That said, he strikes me still as a poor man's Landry Jones, only shorter and with less arm strength. Big numbers, good accuracy, and a tendency to make some real WTF throws out of the blue. Jones did manage to make a career as Big Ben's backup for several years, but he also had prototypical size and ran a more conventional offense in college.

If Hartman leaves after this year, he's getting very bad advice.

IMHO he looks like Wolford, Wolford's senior year and Sam is really slingin' it into tight windows. Very tight. Throwing the ball HARD to get it in there, too. Very accurate. Only a few forced throws, recently.

My only negative is he still is putting too much air under the deep balls. Our WR are getting open deep, and having to slow and wait on the ball, at least that's what I've noticed. He lacks that Justin Herbert "let me, at 6'5, just lob a 40 yard ball over the defensive line and LB and into a 2 foot space."

I agree with this assessment. Our receivers often bail him out on the deep throws.

If Hartman leaves after this year, he's getting very bad advice.

Yep. But he wouldn't be the first Wake player to get very bad advice.

Covid has messed up the class years for a lot of players. Sam Hartman is in his fourth year at Wake. That should have him ready to graduate in May 22. However, athletic eligibility wise, this is only his second official year. He could return for two more years. Crazy.

I think arm strength and height would be big concerns. He is incredibly accurate, but a lot is him throwing it up and AT and Jacquari going up and getting. Have to think all the batted passes the last couple of games would be a big concern for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Huge Hartman fan, but salty is exactly correct. While Hartman is not slow, he doesn’t have the speed to offset the height and arm strength problems. Every defense now is making a point of interior defensive linemen blocking his passes.

IMHO he looks like Wolford, Wolford's senior year and Sam is really slingin' it into tight windows. Very tight. Throwing the ball HARD to get it in there, too. Very accurate. Only a few forced throws, recently.

My only negative is he still is putting too much air under the deep balls. Our WR are getting open deep, and having to slow and wait on the ball, at least that's what I've noticed. He lacks that Justin Herbert "let me, at 6'5, just lob a 40 yard ball over the defensive line and LB and into a 2 foot space."

Didn't previously know but just read that Sam spent the past summer in LA working and hanging out with Wolford and the Rams QB coach.

Great article on Sam.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32763276/wake-forest-qb-sam-hartman-mental-health-awakening-changed-life-demon-deacons-football

Who is expected to graduate this year/anyone like Q expected to go to the draft?

Back