• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman, Perry and other NFL Draft Prospects

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score

How does Sam Hartman stack up in this QB class?​

Kiper: Hartman and the Demon Deacons almost pulled off the upset over Clemson, with the signal-caller going 20-of-29 for 337 yards with six touchdowns in a 51-45 double-overtime loss. He made some phenomenal throws, exploiting a below-average Tigers secondary, and he has a great receiving corps around him, including receiver A.T. Perry.

Hartman has made 36 college starts, so we know what he is at the point: He's a helluva college quarterback. At 6-foot-1, he has a decent arm with nice touch on throws, and he runs the Wake Forest offense so well. But I don't see an NFL starter when I watch him. I see a late-round pick who could be a solid NFL backup. He's not in my top 10 at the position for this class, though he could rise if a few guys return to school next year.

Miller: I'm a little higher on Hartman than you are, Mel. Hartman, who missed Week 1 with a blood clot in his left (non-throwing) shoulder, has 13 touchdown passes and two picks this season. Those picks against Liberty were concerning, and Wake Forest barely eked out a win last week, but Hartman has shown the anticipation and touch needed to play at the next level. I have him ranked outside my top 100 prospects, but he could climb with continued high-caliber play.

Reid: Hartman has all the intangibles NFL teams want from a quarterback, but scouts want to see him outside of Wake Forest's unconventional offense, which uses elongated mesh fakes and running back-delay concepts. He's doing things here that won't be asked of him at the next level, even if he has mastered the mechanics of the offense and shown deep touch and accuracy.

Hartman has 101 career touchdowns, including 85 through the air, while averaging 8.1 yards per attempt over five seasons. I see him as a late Day 3 option in the draft, but if he's able to answer some of those scheme-related questions at a postseason all-star game, he could go higher.

2023 NFL Draft Prospects Rising After Week 4​

Here are five of the top players in college football, including Wake Forest QB Sam Hartman who tossed six touchdowns last week.

Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest

There will be questions about how Hartman can adapt to an NFL system, but how he operates the Wake offense is unquestionably incredible. His 337 yards and six touchdowns with a 91.4 QBR pushed Clemson to the brink, and on one scoring pass he showed off arguably his best skill: a preternatural ability to maneuver in the pocket, aborting a play fake to drop a dime for a touchdown.

Sam Hartman set another Wake Forest record Saturday. DJ Uiagalelei found a way to one-up him. That’s not only great news for Clemson but also a very interesting development in Uiagalelei’s career.

Hartman went 20-of-29 for 337 yards and a school-record six touchdowns, but Uiagalelei answered with 371 yards and five TDs in a thrilling 51-45 Clemson overtime win.

Hartman, a senior, continued to display quick feet in the pocket and a willingness to push the ball in Dave Clawson’s slow-mesh offense. The offense can look awkward on occasion, but the explanation for why Hartman is able to take everything to the next level is two-fold: He can reset his body to get the ball out in a hiccup, and he seems to never miss an open read.

His accuracy with deep shots can be up and down, but the ball almost always goes where it’s supposed to. That’s why he’s up to 13 touchdowns against just two interceptions and also why he continues to be an interesting developmental draft prospect.

I mean, he'll get a look. Because of the perception of our offense, he'll have to stand out at the combine and in workouts. But there's no reason teams won't at least want to see what he can do.

The Clemson game helps a bit, I think. He'll need to not shit the bed in any big games this year, though. That's clearly been the knock on him. Another reason why this FSU game is important.

yeah, I defs didn't think Wolf had an NFL future

to be honest, I still don't quite get how he's still around and there were reports that the Rams were trying to get Jimmy G-spot for the backup role this offseason

still pretty sweet he's made it to this point

I just think any serious tape review of Hartman shows him throwing to wide open guys, lots of tough catches by good WRs, and tons of underthrows

I think he has a lowish ceiling more due to average arm strength than due to Clawson's offense. Think he'll go day 3 and be a high end back-up similar to Wolford. Senior Bowl week will be important for any teams wondering about Wake's offense.

It's weird how sometimes Sam will step up in the pocket with the mesh, take a massive hit, and complete a deep ball, but other times when he feels pressure, he gets happy feet and sails/bounces easy short and intermediate throws. I also wonder how strong his arm really is with how much he underthrows the deep ball (though part of this could be making sure he doesn't risk an overthrow and, at worst, draws the PI). He's still a wizard and great fit for our offense.

yeah, I defs didn't think Wolf had an NFL future

to be honest, I still don't quite get how he's still around and there were reports that the Rams were trying to get Jimmy G-spot for the backup role this offseason

still pretty sweet he's made it to this point

I just think any serious tape review of Hartman shows him throwing to wide open guys, lots of tough catches by good WRs, and tons of underthrows
Do the Rams not like Wolford? He was going to start that playoff game over Goff before he got hurt. They also have Perkins, who I am high on as a back-up.

Another from The Athletic

Sam Hartman, Wake Forest (6010v, 210v)
The ninth player in ACC history to reach 10,000 passing yards, Hartman has steadily improved over his five seasons with the Demon Deacons. After a major blood clot forced emergency surgery in August, there was talk about him never playing again, but he worked his way back in under a month and has been playing at a high level. In three games, Hartman has has had more than 300 yards passing in each contest and has a 13-to-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio, including six touchdown passes last week against Clemson.

Hartman is a challenging evaluation because of the slow-mesh offense that Wake Forest runs. His passing mechanics tend to quickly fall apart, but he does have a great feel for his jump shot with the touch he puts on downfield throws. His transition to an NFL offense will be a topic of discussion in war rooms, but so will his intangibles and toughness, which could elevate him throughout the process.

Our offense probably makes it really tough to evaluate Hartman. Definitely seems like his arm is mediocre. And his throwing mechanics and footwork definitely seem all over the place, which probably contributes to his inconsistent accuracy. But how much of that is because he's throwing so close to the LOS, really close to the line and often with a lot of pressure. I think one of the overlooked Hartman does well is throw from crazy arm angles to get the ball around the line. But even when he has some time, he does a little jump throw that I'm guessing is not a good thing.

@Perry mentioned as one of six receivers highlighted to watch out for

A.T. Perry, Wake Forest (6-5, 205)​

I’d contend that scoring touchdowns is an important part of playing football. A.T. Perry seems very good at this particular skill. A former three-star prospect out of Lake Worth, Florida, Perry won first-team All-ACC honors as a redshirt sophomore in 2021, on the back of a 71-catch, 1,293-yard, 15-touchdown performance (tied for third in the FBS). A big-bodied receiver, he brings excellent coordination and ball-tracking skills. He has the foot quickness to get off press and into his route, uses shoulder leans and head fakes to sell routes, and has both legit build-up speed and ability to extend plays after the catch.

Perry has a talent for the circus catch, too. On this walk-off touchdown against Syracuse last year, he showed excellent concentration and Gumby-like bend to reach back and reel in an underthrown ball.

Perry isn’t the most sudden athlete in the short area, but he knows how to use his frame to win at the catch point or separate late. He has tallied 16 catches for 273 yards and two touchdowns in four games this season, including a five-catch, 142-yard, one-touchdown performance against Vanderbilt. He’s a potential sleeper this year and is on my short list for favorite receivers to watch so far.

I've seen 3 draft sites that have Perry as a day 2 pick, going anywhere from late 2nd to late 3rd. His 40 time at the combine could really affect where he goes.

unfortunately i am not very high on Hartman in the NFL. he is a little undersized at 6' or 6'1" and his arm strength this year has been in question. i don't necessarily think that him leaving this year is in his best interest, and maybe staying at Wake isn't either. it depends on grad programs, et. al., since he is older all ready (23 yrs i believe).

he might get a shot in the NFL, i do hope so!

I'd love to be wrong but I don't see any NFL future for Sam
I think Sam will really enjoy his season on the practice squad somewhere, before he has a very successful career on the ACC Network (communications major with a journalism minor). There are just too many games were he unraveled against good defenses for an NFL team to use a pick on him. After 5 years, teams are going to question how much more upside there is. He has shown toughness and good football intelligence, which combined with his numbers he will get him a shot somewhere, but after that, I dont know.

He'll definitely be on TV at some point. He's got the look, swagger, and a great college career.

I like how mastering an unconventional offense with normal pre-snap reads and multiple post-snap reads on top of finding the open receiver is somehow a knock on Hartman.
that's not the knock -- the knock is that he's successful in a system that could only work in college and he's throwing to wide open guys created by said system

kinda like how people are skeptical of QBs out of Ohio State because they only throw to wide open receivers and put up gaudy stats created by a great offensive system -- so far none of those crazy number OSU guys have succeeded in the NFL

Back