• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman, Perry and other NFL Draft Prospects

idiot fans like myself on message boards and twitter are clueless about a lot of things. but i think we might be the most clueless when opining about the nfl draft.

i am pleased that most of the media experts seem to think that hartman has a good shot at being drafted and potentially having a spot on an nfl team.

mel kiper jr. has no deacs in his positional top 10s fwiw

that's not the knock -- the knock is that he's successful in a system that could only work in college and he's throwing to wide open guys created by said system

kinda like how people are skeptical of QBs out of Ohio State because they only throw to wide open receivers and put up gaudy stats created by a great offensive system -- so far none of those crazy number OSU guys have succeeded in the NFL
I think kinda similar to Mayfield when he was at Oklahoma in Riley's offense - everyone was wide open all the time, so he rarely had to make tight window throws. Except for the 2nd half against UGa when he was getting killed.

I don't really see Hartman or Perry making an impact at the next level, FWIW. Hartman is missing size and arm strength and Perry is missing the athleticism necessary to get significant snaps in the NFL. I think Greene and Williams, due to their speed, have better chances (Greene moreso than Williams).

Williams is so fun to watch. He finishes all his opportunities well by breaking tackles and maximizing YAC but also has surprisingly good ball skills to make catches in traffic. Unbelievable how well we’ve recruited WRs for the different ways Clawson likes to use them.

yeah, Greene is the guy I'd put money on making the league if I had to pick one

unfortunately i am not very high on Hartman in the NFL. he is a little undersized at 6' or 6'1" and his arm strength this year has been in question. i don't necessarily think that him leaving this year is in his best interest, and maybe staying at Wake isn't either. it depends on grad programs, et. al., since he is older all ready (23 yrs i believe).

he might get a shot in the NFL, i do hope so!
I posted something similar on an earlier thread. But regardless, I do think Sam will be playing QB "professionally" next year, either in the NFL, or as a 1-year solution for a top P5 program that needs a savvy and talented QB and is willing to pony up several million $$ for it.

I get that in a situation like Ohio State and you are surrounded by 5 stars that just blow past everyone it would be that way. I think the difference is the system at Wake is pretty complicated. It seems like the transition to a traditional offense wouldn't be difficult for him to make.

wait - does hartman have eligibility left?

Don't sleep on DeVonte Gordon. 6-6 305 former basketball player, very agile for his size. Just scratching the surface. Also, the two Richmond transfers Kobie Turner and Malik Mustapha have a great chance to play on Sundays as does CB Caelen Carson -- teams don't even like to throw his way.

With that said, after Luke Masterson made an NFL roster this year, which no WF fan would've ever predicted (if anyone had predicted that last year, he/she would've been mocked here; people here claimed Luke Masterson was the reason why our defense struggled over the last few years; he's now making $705K this year playing in Las Vegas) those claiming to know what translates to the next level and what does not are probably fooling themselves.

Last edited:
Carson will play at the next level 100%. Mustapha will be in the NFL if he can get his size up in the next year or two.

well dang, i just assumed this was hartman's last season

well dang, i just assumed this was hartman's last season
I've assumed he'd leave because 5 years is enough. Even if he doesn't stick with an NFL team, wouldn't he have a decent shot at starting in Canada?

I think he has indicated it is his last year even if he hasn't come out and said it definitively.

could he make more bouncing around practice squads/maybe an active roster (or other leagues, can't remember which ones still exist) or taking NIL $$$ at some other school for one year?

He did come out and say it and I’m pretty sure Clawson has repeated it.

Sam graduated from HS in 2018. He was in the same HS recruiting class as Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson. While I'm sure it's amazing to be the BMOC and the most prolific QB in WF (and maybe ACC) history, but at some point, he may want to do something else, even if its trying to grind his way onto a practice squad. Then again, Sam may be inspired by Van Wilder's endless tenure at Coolidge College...

p29115_k_h10_aa.jpg

Back