• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the quality of media declined as technology has proliferated?

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Stick with me for a rambling post.

Today at lunch I was talking to my boss about music, and I heard a (common) complaint that music today is terrible, and that growing up in the 1960s and 70s, he was so lucky to have such great music around. I agreed with him in general that the 60s and 70s were a great time for music, but argued that as technology for recording and distribution changed, the quantity grew, and the overall quality of popular music promoted by the same media got worse. He replied that "good music is good music" and that if the music were still as good today, the cream would still rise to the top, and the stuff on the radio would still sound good to him.

Let's put tastes aside for a second, and not argue directly about the quality of music changing and consider a couple other models that technology has distinctly changed.

The shift from print to electronic journalism has been a tough one for most publishers to navigate. As sources of news have skyrocketed, subscriptions have precipitously declined, and the top quality of journalism has distinctly watered down. Sure, there are examples of tremendous amateur bloggers for whom the platform of digital media has provided a much larger audience and a lower barrier to entry than ever before. However, the stability of the niche journalist job has all but disappeared, and the quality of the best works has spread so far and thin amidst all the noise that it's tough to find the best sources anymore.

Again, I don't want to get into the 24 hour news cycle, the quality of networks, or even the quality of certain brands declining with changing consumer tastes. I want to talk primarily about differences in technology of production and distribution methods.

I read recently about a company that seeks to serve a community of fiction readers and writers who haven't found a mass distribution policy via a publisher/promoter/distributor. Again, the barriers for entry into fiction writing have begun to fall as self-publishing has proliferated. The standard production process necessary to take a book through manuscript form into editing, typesetting, printing, and distribution has shortened dramatically with digital publishing. For an author who thinks he has a great book, but can't get it printed, marketed and sold for whatever reason, this business opportunity seems great. Traditional publishers won't be threatened by the grassroots, crowdsourced nature of it because they still own the means of production, so to speak.

My question with all this is whether technology in media is a net good thing. The barriers to entry fall, but the quality of entries on the whole is lowered. It's harder for the cream to rise to the top if the pool is getting larger and larger every day.

Does proliferation of technology contribute to lower quality of writing/music/art?

Lower overall quality? Sure. Lower quality of the top works? No, of course not.

Just because your boss judges today's music on what he hears on the radio doesn't mean that there isn't good music out there. Take a look at a lot of the Top 40 charts from the 60's and 70's. There's a ton of crap on them.

Sure it has as far as writing/music/art produced for the masses at a retail level. The faster and easier you can produce something in literature, music or art, the shittier stuff you will create, in greater amounts. The desire for infinite profit drives that.

Tech is doing incredible things in medicine, though. Unfortunately it is also doing incredible things in weaponry.

What would such a company do that wouldn't already be served by googling self-publishing or putting the work on a blog and trying to get it noticed by the traditional publishers?

Like it or not, part of the dreaded GATEKEEPERS' roles are to serve as a sort of quality control.

What would such a company do that wouldn't already be served by googling self-publishing or putting the work on a blog and trying to get it noticed by the traditional publishers?

Built in base of users that would "award" their top choice with increased visibility. Roughly akin to a very small scale American Idol (without the guaranteed contract, of course).

There's still high quality writing/music/art out there, you just have to 'dig a little deeper'.

Mama-Odie-with-Juju-Princess-and-the-Frog-300x225.jpg

"It's harder for the cream to rise to the top if the pool is getting larger and larger every day."
Agreed. There is still great music, journalism, etc. out there, but it is harder to find. However, talented artists and journalists may leave their field as they get frustrated that their work is not being seen/heard.

Talented artists and journalists aren't leaving the field because they're frustrated about a lack of exposure. It's because they're not getting paid in the bigger pool. Until someone can effectively monetize media within the new model, overall quality will suffer.

Talented artists and journalists aren't leaving the field because they're frustrated about a lack of exposure. It's because they're not getting paid in the bigger pool. Until someone can effectively monetize media within the new model, overall quality will suffer.

That's generally what I meant. Perhaps I didn't link exposure and getting paid properly.

Journalism is much harder hit than music or literature. The opportunities in traditional journalism are dramatically less. The internet's lack of ethical standards has also been a huge detriment to legitimate journalists and publishers.

The incestuous nature of niche ideologies give instant "credibility" to internet sources that have no validity. This also harms legitimate journalists.

I think it is quality compared to quantity as you stated. Everyone thinks they have a unique story they could write and want to share, just like a lot of people think they can make music (see youtube). The reason a lot of these people don't make it or get mass distribution is because what they are doing only relates to a small niche group or the bigger reason it just plain sucks.

to op overall yes but that's just because there's more overall

Built in base of users that would "award" their top choice with increased visibility. Roughly akin to a very small scale American Idol (without the guaranteed contract, of course).

Ok. That makes some sense. The user base would have to have some legitimacy for it to take off though.

People cry about the loss of strong national "gatekeepers" to mold public thought, but the thing most people should be worried about is the gutting of mid-major newspapers across the country. That shit's going to have ripples that will be fucking with communities large and small for at least the next few decades, guaranteed.

People cry about the loss of strong national "gatekeepers" to mold public thought, but the thing most people should be worried about is the gutting of mid-major newspapers across the country. That shit's going to have ripples that will be fucking with communities large and small for at least the next few decades, guaranteed.

True. Local news these days is awwwwful. Small-scale reporting investigative journalism have been replaced with national AP bylines.

Back