• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the team so far exceeded your expectations for the season?

Yes or No

• Total voters
I said no since I predicted 16 wins. I think we are on target.

At this point we're two games ahead of my predictions, but included in my predictions was that we would lose a game that we shouldn't lose (which we did). I didn't expect us to beat Nebraska and expected us to go 2-2 out of Richmond, High Point, Yale, and Loyola MD (we went 3-1, but with both close margins going our way). I have said numerous times that I expected us to win @BC, and Virginia Tech was in my middle bucket (alongside NCSU and Clemson) where I expect us to go 1-4.

So, I voted yes, but it's really pretty close. The only result that wasn't in the bounds of my prediction was Nebraska.

For the record, my prediction was 11-19 (4-12), although I am not sure if I actually posted it. 5-6 conference wins wouldn't surprise me due to the improvement we've seen since the NCSU game and the weakness of the conference.

Last edited:
I thought we'd beat most of the cupcakes on the ooc schedule. I thought we'd beat some bad ACC teams and lose to decent/good ones. And that's what has happened. So no, my expectations have not been exceeded. They have been met.

They doubled my predicted win total in the ACC. Then again I'm the worst sports bettor of all time (just ask Bodog).

Exceeded? No. This has been about what I expected. 5-6 ACC wins would exceed expectations, but I think 4 is what we'll get.

There needs to be a third option- they are basically where I thought they'd be.

I think all that Bzzz needs to do to win our fanbase over is get a close game vs UNC or dook and....

Last edited:
I didn't have monetary expectations, but this team is better than last year's. So, yes.

Think I was 13 or 14 wins. So, we still have a few to go.

Let's Go Deacs!!

I predicted 10 wins, so in that regard yes. but I expected more in terms of progress. I had hoped for more improvement, it is January so there is still time to surprise. But so far I've been a bit disappointed.

What does this mean exactly? You were hoping for more "progress" but with the progress you were expecting, we would win fewer games?

I'd say we're about exactly where I sort of expected we'd be, with a chance to go either way from here. We still suck, but we're better than last year and we'll probably finish with about 4 or 5 ACC wins.

Yes. I thought we'd be as bad as last year. Certain players have really made strides.

That would be redundant wouldn't it? The use of "so far" implies I mean "up until this point".

'So far' refers to the the current progress of the team, and 'up until this point' refers to the point in the season.

The confusion lies, I think, with the distinction between expectations for the season as a whole (10-12 wins, for example) and expectations for our record/progress at this moment.

If you predicted 13 wins for the season, should you vote 'yes' or 'no'? We haven't yet exceeded the hypothetical expectation for the season, yet we could very well have exceeded expectations up to this point with the assumption that we will earn 13 wins.

Does that make sense?

It's so sad I have accepted 4 ACC wins as an acceptable expectation.

This. I think I was in the 10-12 win club with 3 ACC Ws IIRC. We'll prolly win another 1-3, with BC & GT being very winnable games.

But it is just sad that some folks seem to think this is cause for optimism. We scheduled creampuffs, backed out of the Skip Prosser event, the ACC is down, and we get 4 games with BC & GT. If too many people think this way, it could be the better part of a decade before we sniff the Dance again.

Why is it so hard to distinguish expectations for this season with this team, and overall longterm expectations for the program?

Yes the program is not in the best place this year, which is disappointing to everyone on here. But our current team has major flaws and a lot of our players are, frankly, not that good. Having expectations of 4 ACC wins this year is progress considering we were historically bad last year. When we have better players (who are hopefully coming next year) expectations should rise, and in a year or two be back to the point where we want to be: NCAA's every year. Having realistic expectations for what the team can do this year isn't holding the program back. Nobody thinks that 4 wins every year is good enough.

Back