• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the team so far exceeded your expectations for the season?

Yes or No

• Total voters
The expectations shouldn't be merely making the NCAA tournament every year. That isn't how the coaching change was sold to us, regardless of the after the fact spin.

ETA: and by every year I don't really mean every year as much as consistently.

Last edited:
We've won more games to this point that I thought we would, but the overall level of play has not exceeded my expectations.

If anything, I'm disappointed because 2 of our top 5 players are seniors.

When we have better players (who are hopefully coming next year) expectations should rise, and in a year or two be back to the point where we want to be: NCAA's every year. Having realistic expectations for what the team can do this year isn't holding the program back. Nobody thinks that 4 wins every year is good enough.

You really think we'll be in the Dance every year starting in 2013-14 with Bz?!? Nobody else in the nation does other than some of our delusional fan base.

This is an easy 'yes' for me. An expectation is just what you think is likely to happen; not what you want to happen or think we "deserve" should happen or whatever. We were 1-15 last year, and are 2-3 currently. That's further ahead of pace than I expected. Not by a ton, but we're on a 5-6ish win pace, which is a tad more than the 4-12 record I thought we'd finish with. We still might finish 4-12 (or worse) obviously.

No, I'm saying that expectations should return to that level where we expect to make the tournament every year. We probably won't but that should be the goal. Not 2-3 years of rebuilding between decent teams. In my opinion, there is a chance that we can get there with the team we will have in a couple years and the players coming in.

When bzz gets his players in, that will be the measuring stick. If he can't get there he should be gone. My point is that being reasonable about the potential of this year's team does not mean we are lowering out long term expectations for the program.

No, I'm saying that expectations should return to that level where we expect to make the tournament every year. We probably won't but that should be the goal. Not 2-3 years of rebuilding between decent teams. In my opinion, there is a chance that we can get there with the team we will have in a couple years and the players coming in.

When bzz gets his players in, that will be the measuring stick. If he can't get there he should be gone. My point is that being reasonable about the potential of this year's team does not mean we are lowering out long term expectations for the program.

Good post. I tried making a similar argument on Moon's Bzz In thread, but it's not really gaining any traction.

Making reasonable expectations in a given year does not equal LOWF syndrome. Each year, you raise those expectations and set higher goals.

What does this mean exactly? You were hoping for more "progress" but with the progress you were expecting, we would win fewer games?

My hope was that we would be better and would not have games like last week against State or the game against ASU. My expectation though was that we would win around 10 games.

I figured we would lose most of our games, but I did not expect to see games like ASU or State.

Why is it so hard to distinguish expectations for this season with this team, and overall longterm expectations for the program?

Yes the program is not in the best place this year, which is disappointing to everyone on here. But our current team has major flaws and a lot of our players are, frankly, not that good. Having expectations of 4 ACC wins this year is progress considering we were historically bad last year. When we have better players (who are hopefully coming next year) expectations should rise, and in a year or two be back to the point where we want to be: NCAA's every year. Having realistic expectations for what the team can do this year isn't holding the program back. Nobody thinks that 4 wins every year is good enough.

Yeah I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Unless people are being intentionally obtuse to make some kind of point.

Does it suck that this is where we are? Of course, but its where we are. For now, and only for now.

Not reallly as I was hoping the transition would have another year to take hold and the team would start to play like a team. Plus we need to face it that the Atlantic Coast Conference is really down so we need to be able to make strides against the likes of Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Miami and Clemson.

Back