• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has there ever been a more clownshow election than this?

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
I'm only 28 years old. I don't have a long perspective on national politics or presidential elections. So my question is, do any of you remember an election as batshit insane as this one?

So many terrible candidates, so many ridiculous storylines. Is Quayle the closest we've had in the 20th-21st centuries?

I'm only 28 years old. I don't have a long perspective on national politics or presidential elections. So my question is, do any of you remember an election as batshit insane as this one?

So many terrible candidates, so many ridiculous storylines. Is Quayle the closest we've had in the 20th-21st centuries?

winkinpalinmu1.gif~c200

The TITLE of the thread is "Has there ever been a more clownshow election than this". The Trump defense of Milania's speech is part of the clown show.

The first presidential election I paid attention to was 1960. I've never seen anything remotely close to this shit show.

I hope this is the worst election cycle of my life (and yours, for that matter). Trump's behavior is so totally bizarre that it makes me wonder if he is trying to get Clinton elected.

We've only been doing these things by mostly primary for what, the last 60 or so years? Say what you want about party bosses choosing candidates from smoke filled rooms, but the world would have looked a lot different had Henry Wallace been president in 1945. And few truly joke nominees came before we mostly went to primaries. I guess we can look back and later realize Harding was a fraud, and maybe William Jennings Bryan was a religious nut. But that's about it. Since the primary system, you could say 1964 was volatile for the Pubs and 1968 for the Dems, and both lost, but neither Goldwater nor Humphrey were jokes. Nixon was a paranoid alcoholic, but he had a great resume and won twice easily. Neither Mondale nor Dukakis were good candidates but both were effective in prior incarnations. Gary Hart might have saved us from Dukakis, but he challenged the press to follow him around. Oops. Quayle was an idiot, but Bush the Elder had a fantastic resume. W was seen as a lightweight, but he didn't seem like the idealogue his presidency became in 2000. Palin truly was a joke, but 2008 otherwise was not.

So to summarize, no. Nothing close to this clownshow. Two fundamentally dishonest and hated nominees, and the other serious contenders running were also clowns - Cruz, Sanders, Jeb!, Sleepy, Frothy.... As to why we ended up with this clownshow, the Dem side is easier to explain. They had other plausible candidates who were not universally hated, but they all stood on the sideline out of respect and/or fear of the Clintons. Pubs are more difficult to explain. It think it's that the tea bagging and religious right fringe really controls the party at the grass roots level and make it impossible for a reasonable moderate like Huntsman to gain any traction, and so you end up with a bunch of different fringe candidates. The only normal establishment type this time around was Jeb!, and he ran an awful campaign. Romney would have been such a normal establishment type last time had he run on his record and not completely remade himself to make himself tolerable to the GOP electorate. The GOP issue is more systemic, whereas the Dem issue will go away when the Clintons die.

I mean, Trump has never held, or even really run for, a political office before and now he's the nominee for the one of the world's oldest political parties in the most powerful nation in the world, if not world history.

Picking a completely arbitrary number, Sarah Palin is at least 10 times worse than Trump in terms of a candidate for POTUS/VPOTUS

I'm sure there were a few nutjobs that were major party nominees (or even elected POTUS) in the 19th century, but Twitter wasn't around then to tell us about it.

This is the first time I have said that I will refuse to vote for either the Democrat or the Republican; and I have seen nothing to change my mind. Both Hillary and Trump are disastrous in their own way. The show is entertaining though. It's the headache and hangover I fear after the election no matter who wins.

Picking a completely arbitrary number, Sarah Palin is at least 10 times worse than Trump in terms of a candidate for POTUS/VPOTUS

I'm sure there were a few nutjobs that were major party nominees (or even elected POTUS) in the 19th century, but Twitter wasn't around then to tell us about it.

Disagree. I would vote for Palin before Trump, and it is not particularly close. Trump is fucking dangerous, Palin is too stupid to be dangerous.

This is the first time I have said that I will refuse to vote for either the Democrat or the Republican; and I have seen nothing to change my mind. Both Hillary and Trump are disastrous in their own way. The show is entertaining though. It's the headache and hangover I fear after the election no matter who wins.

WHAT WILL YOU DO

hqdefault.jpg

Disagree. I would vote for Palin before Trump, and it is not particularly close. Trump is fucking dangerous, Palin is too stupid to be dangerous.

Not to mention she would probably quit halfway through her term.

Back