• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Wake football ever defeated the reigning Heisman winner before Saturday?

MikeDeac

Reaction score
I know that rarely do underclassmen win but thought it was unlikely.

Not likely. Very few Heisman winners play in college after winning. Either they are seniors and graduate or they leave for the NFL after winning as underclassmen.

Part of why while this is not a particularly good Louisville team, this win did generate a good amount of buzz and PR for the program

I heard somewhere that this was the first time. Either radio postgame or Winston-Salem Journal.

We lost to George Washington Rogers and SC like 39-38 the year he won the Heisman (1980). Seems like Wayne Baumgardner had a great day. Obviously lost but only one I remember.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure before the game the announcers said it was the first time Wake had ever played the reigning heisman winner. So that would mean it's the first time we beat him too.

3-43 2014 FSU (Winston)
7-13 1949 SMU (Doak Walker)

I'm pretty sure before the game the announcers said it was the first time Wake had ever played the reigning heisman winner. So that would mean it's the first time we beat him too.

First time playing a Heisman winner at home.

We lost to all three F$U QBs and Bo Jackson in his first game in '82.

We have played several heisman winners at some point in their career but only two reigning Heisman winners before this past Saturday.

Back